The Education Forum

Rick Perry and the JFK assassination

Was Rick Perry making a reference to the JFK assassination when he characterised the strategy of the Federal Reserve chairman, Ben Bernanke, as "treasonous". He then went onto say: "If this guy prints more money between now and the election, I dunno what y'all would do to him in Iowa but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas."

Was Rick Perry making a reference to the JFK assassination when he characterised the strategy of the Federal Reserve chairman, Ben Bernanke, as "treasonous". He then went onto say: "If this guy prints more money between now and the election, I dunno what y'all would do to him in Iowa but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas."

I haven't been paying much attention to the Republicans but it seems that Perry is a Texas Republican who fits the Bush mold and maybe even more to the right.

I'm sure that Karl Rove and Ed Gillespie have a more moderate Republican waiting in the wings who they will drag out after all the others knock each other out.

Maybe they will take our New Jersey governor Chris Christie off our hands. I'm sure the NJ teachers would love that.

I haven't been paying much attention to the Republicans but it seems that Perry is a Texas Republican who fits the Bush mold and maybe even more to the right.

I'm sure that Karl Rove and Ed Gillespie have a more moderate Republican waiting in the wings who they will drag out after all the others knock each other out.

He is indeed to the right of George Bush. Karl Rove has already claimed that Perry is too extreme and should never have made these comments about Ben Bernanke.

He is indeed to the right of George Bush. Karl Rove has already claimed that Perry is too extreme and should never have made these comments about Ben Bernanke.

Well, Ed Gillespie's dad, the late Jack Gillespie, born in Donegal, Ireland and a WWII army vet, owned the local pub in my small town. Gillespie went to college in DC and got a job parking cars in the Senate parking lot, where he began to work in politics. Gillespie started out as a democrat but switched parties when the Congressman he worked for became a Republican. Working his way up the Republican ladder, he was taken under Karl Rove's wing and eventually became head of the Republican National Committee, and organized the Republican National Convention in Philadelphia that nominated George Bush. When Rove was driven out of the White House, Gillespie was made special counsel to the president and served in that capacity for Bush's final two years in office.

With Jim Quinn, a Clinton Democrat, they formed Quinn - Gillespie, a lobby and PR firm but Ed didn't like the lobby part, he has scruples, and formed his own Gillespie Strategies, that handles political campaigns. When Rove and Gillespie had a falling out with the new head of the Republican National Committee (a black guy), they formed a separate fund raising organization that raised millions of dollars from anonymous donors and dolled it out to the Republicans running for office who they supported.

Both Rove and Gillespie are very conservative but rational people, and they won't back a horse they don't like or don't believe has a chance to win.

Perry sounds too dangerous even for Rove.

I'm going to wait until they decide who to back and then I'm going to call my Irish bookie and bet on him, or her as it may be.

Edited by William Kelly

When I heard that, I wondered if the "pretty ugly" meant Texas hospitality similar to that extended to Adlai Stevenson, or JFK, or James Byrd, Jr.

Bernanke of course was appointed to his post by W Bush, but has committed what I think many on the far right consider an unforgivable sin in not constantly and actively snubbing Obama.

One might note that the Federal Reserve doesn't actually print US money.

Any pandering to the Texas secessionist movement there?

I did not interpret Rick Perry's statement that way. It seemed to me he was just talking about "Texas Justice", but not in any way referencing what happened to JFK in Texas. But of course, I could just be naive. :-0

Maybe they will take our New Jersey governor Chris Christie off our hands. I'm sure the NJ teachers would love that.

you're stuck with Christie, Bill. Most of America demands a charismatic leader that (at least) looks physically fit... (we do have minimum standards in the hinterland)

Both Rove and Gillespie are very conservative but rational people, and they won't back a horse they don't like or don't believe has a chance to win.

I'm going to wait until they decide who to back and then I'm going to call my Irish bookie and bet on him, or her as it may be.

the latest book (just a little something I heard around town):

2012 US Presidential race

Barack Obama - 4/6

Mitt Romney - 5/1

Rick Perry - 5/1

Michele Bachmann - 16/1

Tim Pawlenty - 25/1

Sarah Palin - 33/1

Jon Huntsman - 33/1

40/1 bar

Republican nominee

Mitt Romney - 13/8

Rick Perry - 13/8

Michele Bachmann - 6/1

Tim Pawlenty - 14/1 (withdrew)

Jon Huntsman - 14/1

Sarah Palin - 14/1

25/1 bar

Edited by David G. Healy

the latest book (just a little something I heard around town):

2012 US Presidential race

Barack Obama - 4/6

Mitt Romney - 5/1

Rick Perry - 5/1

Michele Bachmann - 16/1

Tim Pawlenty - 25/1

Sarah Palin - 33/1

Jon Huntsman - 33/1

40/1 bar

Republican nominee

Mitt Romney - 13/8

Rick Perry - 13/8

Michele Bachmann - 6/1

Tim Pawlenty - 14/1 (withdrew)

Jon Huntsman - 14/1

Sarah Palin - 14/1

25/1 bar

Bill, when you ring your bookie, can you slip $50.00 on Huntsman for me to get GOP nomination?

...I did not interpret Rick Perry's statement that way. It seemed to me he was just talking about "Texas Justice", but not in any way referencing what happened to JFK in Texas. But of course, I could just be naive. :-0

You may be just a little bit Pamela...you have to realize that when the news of JFK's assasination came onto the airwaves there were young men at Texas A&M, Bama and Ole Miss (students) honking their horns and celebrating. U.T.-Austin not so much but I'm sure there were a few. These "subtle" messages are designed to get through to certain portions of the population.

...Bill, when you ring your bookie, can you slip $50.00 on Huntsman for me to get GOP nomination?

Save your money on Huntsman...he's a Mormon too. What you Aussies need to know before you go betting your money is the concern that Midwesterners (as well as some Southerners) have about Mormons. You should realize...that the only time actual murder has been sactioned by a standing State Governor was when the Governor of Missouri made a proclamation that it was OK to kill Mormons.

And it was a fairly popular proclaimation.

(it worked - it got em the hell out of Missouri) :rolleyes:

Edited by David S. Brownlee