The Education Forum

I AM SORRY

I just donated, and I'd like to put a CHALLENGE out to the other FORUM members:

If we could all donate a minimum of $10 by Friday, we could go a long way toward paying the bill that's due on Saturday the 11th.

If your circumstances allow you to donate more than $10---say, on the order of a $35 "subscription"--I would encourage you all to do so. Only YOU know what your current means will allow.  But we can NOT let this FORUM go down without a fight.

$130 a month equals $1,560 a year. Surely we can round up enough donations to ensure the next 12 months of operation, can't we? If 45 members would donate $35 a year for a subscription, that would cover 12 months of operation.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Mark Knight said:

I just donated, and I'd like to put a CHALLENGE out to the other FORUM members:

If we could all donate a minimum of $10 by Friday, we could go a long way toward paying the bill that's due on Saturday the 11th.

If your circumstances allow you to donate more than $10---say, on the order of a $35 "subscription"--I would encourage you all to do so. Only YOU know what your current means will allow.  But we can NOT let this FORUM go down without a fight.

$130 a month equals $1,560 a year. Surely we can round up enough donations to ensure the next 12 months of operation, can't we? If 45 members would donate $35 a year for a subscription, that would cover 12 months of operation.

$35...done.

That's a total of $45 out of $1560.  35 days to go.

Time to put our money behind our rhetoric.

Mark has made an interesting point. Rhett on behalf of Invision has reduced our payment to $45 per month. I believe he has also given us a freebe month, so our next payment may not be required until July 11th.

If we follow Marks suggestion and initially donate $10 by Friday that will place a resource into our funds.

If Rhett is serious and our payment is now $45 the  yearly subscription will also be lower. The resource will give me a breather to set up the subscription system and ensure that only those who have subscribed are active on the forum.

A subscription system does have a major advantage, it ensures that the forum does have a guaranteed source of funds. A donational system may not guarantee sufficient funds at all times.

But what is critical is what does the membership want to do?

1 minute ago, James R Gordon said:

Mark has made an interesting point. Rhett on behalf of Invision has reduced our payment to $45 per month. I believe he has also given us a freebe month, so our next payment may not be required until July 11th.

If we follow Marks suggestion and initially donate $10 by Friday that will place a resource into our funds.

If Rhett is serious and our payment is now $45 the  yearly subscription will also be lower. The resource will give me a breather to set up the subscription system and ensure that only those who have subscribed are active on the forum.

A subscription system does have a major advantage, it ensures that the forum does have a guaranteed source of funds. A donational system may not guarantee sufficient funds at all times.

But what is critical is what does the membership want to do?

I'm for a robust donation system.  I'm afraid the free-wheeling nature of the joint may change if we keep the party liggers out.

45 bucks a month?

Slam dunk.

I can see the advantage of a donational system. I am also concerned that if we go subscription whose who do not subscribe cannot fully take part.

At present a donational system is not a guaranteed source of funds. A subscription system does guarantee funds but members who do not subscribe will be in some form excluded.

29 minutes ago, James R Gordon said:

I can see the advantage of a donational system. I am also concerned that if we go subscription whose who do not subscribe cannot fully take part.

At present a donational system is not a guaranteed source of funds. A subscription system does guarantee funds but members who do not subscribe will be in some form excluded.

We can do $540 bucks a year.  Easy-peezy-jelly-beezy.

C'mon ya cheap bastids -- cough it up!😎

Edited by Cliff Varnell

okay, donated..... please inform me when the subscription is due and what the individual monthly requirement is.

Varnell is correct, Easy-peezy. In most cases this board is better and more entertaining than television,  certainly over-the-air MSM television... And a bit of education thrown in to boot...

Invision's offer of $45 per month is a good deal. It sounds like they are willing to allow more than the maximum 65 members/guests for a 15 minute period.

The negative for a subscription set-up, could be less activity on the forum.

James...  could you please pin a HOW TO DONATE AND SAVE THE ED FORUM thread to the top of the key forum topics with the most visits?

I'm fairly sure the response will be sufficient to keep things going for a while...

Thanks

DJ

I'm happy to go with a subscription model, but I just donated to the forum last week.  My discretionary funds are allocated until June, but if you can tell me how much to chip in then, I'm happy to make this a go.

I know most of you probably have other forums you frequent, but I have found this one to be an informative place which allows me to participate. 

O.K Rhett has got back to me and has confirmed that:-

a) The monthly cost of our membership is $45 per month.

b) He has generously gifted a free month so our next monthly payment is not until July 11th

Two points:-

i.) The monthly charge is based on bandwidth. Last year and early this year our bandwidth use was higher and that is why we were being charged $130 per month. You may recall sometime last year I suddenly announced that I was no longer able to make payments. I had just been informed the use of bandwidth has dramatically increased and we were to be charged $250 per month. I  fought it  and it returned to $130. So my point is our monthly charge is not stable. It depends on our bandwidth use.

2) While this conversation has been going on there have been donations - including one donation last week. Our reserve is now at $176. That means we have funds until ( and including ) September's payment.

So how does this sound. Assuming there are no further donations - though as some members have suggested - I do encourage continued donations- I do the following:-

i. I make payments from our reserved fund.

ii. When that fund gets too low I inform the membership we are out of funds.

iii. If our bandwith changes I also inform the membership what our new charge is.

iv. I will try and find a way to show the level of our reserve funds somewhere on the Forum.

Is that acceptable?

James.