The Education Forum

Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA and the Secret History of the Sixties

Douglas Caddy

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

when will  Mr Shreck be in the USA?

Will you have him on?  I would like to hear his take on the O'Nneill book.

I will ask Nikolas when he'll be in the US. Ive had him on twice, both times in October, so we will do out annual show, yes. We've already discussed needing to do it. He'll actually be in L.A. I will definitely ask him about Chaos, and I think he and I will probably go through much f the literature this time. other than McGowan and Bugliosi, we haven't really done a historiography o the case, so that sounds like a great idea. I'm also asking him to write for garrison, probably in issue 004 or 005. I'd like to see him do a treatment specifically about the truths, myths, and legends of the girls specifically (especially in light of the Diane Lake book and the rel;ease of Lynette Fromme's autobio being released - we touched on both in out 2nd episode, but we will delve some more). I'll email you, Jim. He wants to make contact with you.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good, if he shows his film in Los Angeles I would like to see it.

On 7/17/2019 at 7:54 PM, Cliff Varnell said:

Heh heh.  I promoted hardcore punk rock in Reno Nevada 1980-2.  Some hairy moments of near-death, indeed.

Some great punk bands out of Texas in the 80's -- Butthole Surfers, MDC, the Big Boys, the Dicks.

how can the adjective "great"  ever fit punk?" 

12 hours ago, Martin Blank said:

😎

In spite of four minor factual errors in this piece, it's pretty good.

https://medium.com/@JPRobinson/the-rotten-etymology-of-punk-86db2fcc16f8

in March 1970 in the Chicago Tribune, Ed Sanders, formerly of The Fugs, described his first solo album as “punk rock — redneck sentimentality — my own past updated to present day reality.” (While working on the album in December 1969, he also recorded a song called ‘I’m Just a Tired, Lonesome Street Punk,’ or simply ‘Street Punk,’ which was only released in 2008.) “No one sent me a check for coming up with the term,” Sanders recalled. </q>

Yeah, that Ed Sanders...

On 7/17/2019 at 6:54 PM, Cliff Varnell said:

Heh heh.  I promoted hardcore punk rock in Reno Nevada 1980-2.  Some hairy moments of near-death, indeed.

Some great punk bands out of Texas in the 80's -- Butthole Surfers, MDC, the Big Boys, the Dicks.

Yup, got to see Gibby and the gang before things went MTV.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:09 PM, Martin Blank said:

Easy, experience is subjective. Different nervous systems register the flow of experience in different ways. One person's punk is another person's Lawrence Welk or Air Supply.

On 7/20/2019 at 12:09 AM, Martin Blank said:

I wouldn't know punk rock if I heard it, but it has to be better than rap.

11 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

I wouldn't know punk rock if I heard it, but it has to be better than rap.

Here's a fine example, Ron.  On topic too!

Glad To See You Go

Gonna take a chance on her one bullet in the cylinder
And in a moment of passion get the glory like Charles Manson

Gonna smile, I'm gonna laugh you're gonna get a blood bath

You gotta go go go go goodbye glad to see you go go go go goodbye
Now I know the score I don't need you anymore don't want
You cause you're a bore I need somebody good I need a miracle
Should I take a chance on her? one bullet in the cylinder

Gonna smile, I'm gonna laugh they're gonna want my autograph

You gotta go go go go goodbye Glad to see you go go go go goodbye
Goodbye

Edited by Cliff Varnell

21 minutes ago, Michael Clark said:

Don't you boys know any nice songs?

Not on this thread!😎

Marilyn Manson:

The term “The Beautiful People” was inspired by a book that came out in the mid-’60s. It was about the Kennedys, politics and fashion at the time. The whole culture of beauty as being created at the time. We live in a world where the culture of beauty is taken for granted, but it didn’t exist in the same way in the ’60s. Then Charles Manson and his “family” took that culture, hated it and reacted against it. In many ways his reaction is the same as mine, but I’m playing with it from both sides. I make things glamorous as a revolt to glamour. </q>

3 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

Don't you boys know any nice songs?

If it was on topic, I would post what is perhaps my all-time favorite: "Mona LIsa" by Nat King Cole. Now there's a nice song.

1 hour ago, Ron Ecker said:

If it was on topic, I would post what is perhaps my all-time favorite: "Mona LIsa" by Nat King Cole. Now there's a nice song.

Nat King Cole is great.

I don’t know if anyone caught it but my post was a quote from Frank Zappa’s “Joe’s Garage”.

Besides, this thread is off-topic.

I always believed I was very liberal in my appreciation of mankind made music and have always found it very enjoyable and sensory stimulating to listen to almost every form of it from time to time.

And to ponder it's creation by, purpose of and effect on societies and individuals throughout human history.

So much to consider from this perspective.

With that said, the first time I heard a live performance of "acid rock" I felt as if the intent of this was truly to physically assault one's body and senses.

My inner ear drums were painfully pierced with the most discordant highest decibel screeching and my body in total felt something akin to being hit by a sonic blast or electrically shocked with accompanying involuntary muscle spasming. 

My face surely showed this musical torture with extreme eye and jaw scrunching and grimacing and mental disorientation.

I understand the adolescent hormone raging urge to experience rebellious and high risk behavior such as thrill rides at amusement parks and playing chicken and maybe stealing candy bars from the local convenience store to see if they can get away with this, but acid rock imo took this urge to a perverse new level of self-inflicted pain musical masochism.  

And wasn't body slamming and head banging the most popular dance style back then too?

Boy, that acid rock generation sure must have had a lot of deep anger and frustration issues they needed to work out and express through this kind of music. 

Same with Rap the last 20 years.

Edited by Joe Bauer