The Education Forum

EVIDENCE FOR HARVEY AND LEE (Please debate the specifics right here. Don't just claim someone else has debunked it!)

Jim Hargrove

2 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

I appreciate what you’re doing here and hope you make some provable discoveries, but I want to share with you just part of the reason I’m deeply skeptical that early photos of Harvey Oswald exist.

Jim,

I understand your concerns.  I have had the same concerns from the moment I spied toddler Harvey's photo a long time back.  David and I have agreed this is a studio photo, not a photo taken by parents, but by professionals of some kind.  This photo was probably taken about 1942.  That date, a surviving studio photo from a war zone refugee, and a child refugee brought from Europe during WWII or directly after suggests strongly that this is not Harvey according to the Harvey and Lee theory.

The matter of Harvey's Russian language I will deal with later. 

However, IMO the photo says it is Harvey and not by a guess, but by identity characteristics.  There are characteristics of toddler Harvey and adult Harvey that match.  This situation has to be reconciled.  For the present I am holding both contradictory notions in mind neither believing or disbelieving until we know more.  I suggest we have some patience and take a longer view.  What, it took about 3 or 4 years to realize I might have pictures of both Lee and Harvey as toddlers.  The two toddlers match the identity characteristics I outlined for Lee and Harvey years ago.  This is an idea worth exploring.

So, what to do?  Currently, I am working on a way the OSS could have brought refugee children to the US in the years 1943-4 to 1946.  There is a man named Noah Field I am investigating.  He maybe or may represent the kind of person we can look at in the OSS and State Department. 

Jewish Aid and Rescue

In Hungary, the Relief and Rescue Committee of Budapest was founded in 1941 and was involved in various efforts to save Polish, Slovak, and Hungarian Jews. In 1943, the group became a recognized arm of the Jewish Agency for Palestine. In May 1944, following the German occupation of Hungary, they approached SS officers Adolf Eichmann (one of the central figures in the "Final Solution") and Kurt Becher. It is believed that Eichmann offered to "exchange" one million Jews for certain unspecified goods. While the deal was never finalized, due to Allied objections, the Committee's negotiators eventually persuaded the Nazis to allow a transport of 1,684 Hungarian Jews to leave Budapest on June 30, 1944. After a short stay in Bergen-Belsen, these Jews reached Switzerland.

This is directly related to a man named Noah Field, a secret communist spy, who worked under Allen Dulles in the OSS.  Field worked in France and Switzerland to save the children of Jewish communists and anti-fascist refugees of all kinds, Germans, Russians, Hungarians, and other east European communists.  More on this later.

This notion is like a spider's web with branches reaching into the CPUSA in NYC and Washington.  Other branches go to the OSS and State Department.  Still others include foreign intelligence services during WW2 such as the NKVD and the GRU. 

I am also working on how Harvey could be a home grown product.  But, that is slow going.  The idea that Harvey was John Gardos was a home grown answer that was believable for a time until information came in to disprove it.

Edited by John Butler

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

If John A’s. speculation is right, that Russian-speaking Oswald was a WWII orphan, then it is quite likely that there is simply no surviving photo of him as a young child.  John suspects the war orphan status primarily because  of Harvey’s Russian language facility.  How did he become so fluent so early in such a difficult language for Westerners?

This is not a difficult question.  I can answer this out of my own family experience.  My mother was native fluent in Croatian.  Her parents were from the Austro-Hungarian Empire's Croatia region.  I never heard her speak Croatian until I was about 10.  We visited my grandmother who IMO never learned to speak English.  My Mom said she could but didn't like to speak English.  I could hear a cover up when one occurred.  On that visit with my grandmother, my two aunts, and my mother no one spoke in English except me.  Initially my Mom was quiet and didn't say anything for about an hour.  She then joined in the conversation in Croatian with no noticeable difference between her and her mother and sisters.  It was one boring afternoon.

I mention this to say my mom may have learned English when she went to grade school.  She was a fluent speaker of American English with a few peculiarities.

Harvey may have been like that.  Instead of being Hungarian he may have been of Russian descent or perhaps Russian Jewish communist.  His ancestry may lie in NYC or in Eastern Europe.  I'm trying to work both connections to see which one is more reasonable.  None of us had a problem accepting home grown John Gardos as Harvey until we learned better.  There may be other connections somewhere.

20 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Just my opinion, but to me the most likely explanation of this is that Harvey Oswald learned to read, write, and speak Russian as a child

I agree to this idea.  But, it can still work two ways.  

Edited by John Butler

John K,

I saw this while doing research:

Friday, 08 February 2019 18:24

The Canadian Archives, Michele Metta, and the latest on Permindex

Written by John Kowalski

John Kowalski reviews Michele Metta's book about Permindex, CMC and the role of Italian fascists and freemasons in the JFK assassination, and also looks at the Louis Bloomfield papers and the recent lawsuits over their release.

And, I wondered if that was you.  And, if so could you help with information on Clay Shaw and the OSS.  The founding of Permindex.

I'm particularly interested in the Clay Shaw OSS years.  Most things on the net just say he was in the OSS.  I want to know what years were that and where did he serve.

Clay Shaw and Louis Bloomfield were both in the OSS.  Permindex was formed in Switzerland.  Did these two have anything to do with that.  Were both in Switzerland at the same time as Allen Dulles and another fellow Noah Field.

Edited by John Butler

John B,

The explanations of your methodology are most appreciated.  You’re better with photos than I am, and so I would only suggest that you try and create or even re-create any info you gather about each photo’s provenance.  I’ve been routinely disappointed by online image searches and believe they cannot be relied upon at all unless they help establish at least some recorded documentation.

All the best on this research you are doing.  Hope you can make some provable discoveries!  And I agree with you completely about the potential genetic makeup and earliest history of the the Russian-speaking Oswald.

Jim,

I got a clue from David Josephs a few days ago.  I didn't pay much attention to it.  But, in doing some recent research that clue jumped out in a big way.  David basically said he knew or felt, I've forgotten which, that the people responsible for the Oswald Project are people like Allen Dulles and James Jesus Angleton.

Allen Dulles and other characters, the OSS, Switzerland, France, and Communist Jewish refugees Germany, France, and Eastern Europe and refugee organizations from France and from Eastern Europe maybe exactly what we are looking for.  This is a complex story with a large cast of characters.  I am having trouble at this point putting the elements of this together, but will try to make some kind of sense of this.  Might take a bit.

Do you remember this letter-  Harvey's autobiography:

harvey-autobiography-note-in-Russia-1.jp

What if when he said my parents are dead and I don't have any brothers and sisters is exactly true.  What if his parents were murdered in a Nazi concentration camp and he was saved by a refugee organization in 1941 or 1942?  Taken to Switzerland, then France, and he eventually made his way to America as a young child somewhere around 1943-45.   This is essentially what I am working on at this point.  I am taking Harvey at his word.  If I am correct the Russians already knew this and Harvey had to tell the truth here when he wrote this autobiography.  It will make more sense when I line this out.

Edited by John Butler

12 minutes ago, John Butler said:

I got a clue from David Josephs a few days ago.  I didn't pay much attention to it.  But, in doing some recent research that clue jumped out in a big way.  David basically said he knew or felt, I've forgotten which, that the people responsible for the Oswald Project are people like Allen Dulles and James Jesus Angleton.

It was a hunch simply due to the facts about where they were during the war and at the end of it...  I'm pretty sure Dulles had a big hand in Operation Paperclip... but as I keep looking, not so much for Angleton who was subordinate...

DJ

JB... check this https://wikileaks.org/gifiles/attach/48/48237_Allen Welsh Dulles,3.pdf  

After the war in Europe, Dulles served for six months as the OSS Berlin station chief. In 1947, Congress created the Central Intelligence Agency. Dulles was closely involved with its development. His translator at this time was Henry Kissinger, who worked for Army Intelligence. Dulles' CIA Operation Paperclip assimilated Nazi scientists into the American establishment by obscuring their histories and short circuiting efforts to disclose their true identities to the public, over time stonewalling them into national acceptance. The project was led by profiled officers in the United States Army, who were given too much political latitude without political experience. From 1943 to 1947, the humongous figure of Nazi Germany cadre, the brain drain, imported by this unit into USA, Canada and South America left no record “secreted” for the Germanic brotherhood to survive the age among their brethren in the western hemisphere….

President Truman authorized Operation Paperclip in August 1945; however he expressly ordered that anyone found "to have been a member of the Nazi party (suspected ‘war criminal’) and more than a nominal participant in its activities, or an active supporter of Nazi militarism" would be excluded. Under this criterion many of the scientists recruited were outright ineligible, including Wernher von Braun, Arthur Rudolph and Hubertus Strughold, who were all officially on record as Nazis and listed as a “menace to the security of the Allied Forces." However, all were illegally cleared to work in the U.S. after having their backgrounds "falsified" by the U.S. Army Intelligence; faked employment histories provided, and their previous Nazi affiliations expunged from the official record. The paperclips that secured newly-minted background details to their personnel files gave the operation its name. Thereby such pictorial logotypes and acronyms galore characterized by the mentality of the Anglo-Saxon elite, which uses such gimmicks in their paperwork and arcane verbiage to secret them and/or, at the same time, to make it easier to recognize the concept for the lack of literacy. After all, the wider Yankee if not the Limey elite is illiterate, therefrom the acronymization… In a sense, just like the religious icon without text, or the racy political poster, which historically, just the image, moved the illiterate masses to action, without promotional or explanatory verbiage, i.e. there was no need for the 3-Rs. Ironically, I often use the ‘graphic’ gesture myself to drive the written point home, of course, to the same elite, tsk? tsk!

JB - Noel was one of Dulles' double agents...  Field developed a roster of several hundred refugees whom he attempted to help emigrate. Unlike some members of the Unitarian Service Committee and Fry, Field did not face hostility from staff at the U.S. Embassy in Marseilles for his activities, possibly because he sent many of his refugee clients to Switzerland, rather than to the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel_Field

World War II

220px-Buchenwald_Children_26149.jpg

Jewish youth liberated at Buchenwald lean out a train marked Hitler kaput ("Hitler [is] finished") en route to an OSE home in Ecouis, France.

In October 1940, Field resigned his post in Geneva and in 1941 became director of the American Unitarian Universalist Service Committee's relief mission in Marseilles, providing relief for endangered Jewish refugees including antifascists and leftists, and helping many to flee to Switzerland.[8] Field began a major collaboration with the Organization to Save the Children (OSE), a French Jewish humanitarian organization, and its Marseilles director, Joseph Weill. The two organizations later shared the same offices in Marseilles and Noel Field, with help from his wife, set up kindergartens in the Camp de Rivesaltes. The Fields worked with a number of French Jewish women and collaborated with OSE to liberate Jewish children from French internment camps both openly if possible and covertly if the camp director would not cooperate. Also beginning in early 1941, Noel Field established an extensive medical program to provide aid to Jewish refugees in hiding, those waiting to emigrate, or those held in internment camps. Drawing on the medical expertise of some of the Jewish refugees, Field developed a team of about 20 medical doctors, dentists, and nurses, some with international reputations. From his contacts in Switzerland, he acquired medicines and nutritional supplements that were extraordinarily hard to obtain. With the American Friends Service Committee, and his lead doctor, Rene Zimmer, Field implemented a nutritional survey of many thousands of the refugees interned in French camps and provided additional food for those in greatest need.[17]

During this period, Field worked with the Nîmes Committee, a network of about 30 relief organizations in Vichy France and maintained congenial ties with Varian Fry and other relief workers who viewed him as a dedicated humanitarian who seemed to be working himself into exhaustion and nervous collapse. Field developed a roster of several hundred refugees whom he attempted to help emigrate. Unlike some members of the Unitarian Service Committee and Fry, Field did not face hostility from staff at the U.S. Embassy in Marseilles for his activities, possibly because he sent many of his refugee clients to Switzerland, rather than to the U.S. In 1942, Robert Dexter, director of the Unitarian Service Committee, recruited Field to pass information to the U.S. intelligence service Office of Strategic Services (OSS). When the Germans occupied the rest of France in November 1942, the Fields escaped from Marseilles and re-established a refugee program in Geneva. In 1944, Field returned to southern France, traveling with the French guerrilla, the Maquis, and with the approval of Allen Dulles before the area was fully liberated. He arranged for a colleague, Herta Tempi, to establish a small office in Paris as a relief project for the Unitarian Service Committee.[17]

In his relief activities, Field came into contact with a number of communist and antifascist refugees and exiles from Germany and elsewhere and used his position to relay information among various groups. During the war years, Field, based in Switzerland, continued to work on behalf of refugees, including antifascists and communists who, after the war, would assume positions of power in Eastern Europe. Field served Allen Dulles, then head of the OSS and later of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), as liaison to Communist resistance fighters when they were needed for OSS operations. Dulles had first met Field in Zürich in 1918 at the home of Field's father. The two had often seen each other in Washington D.C., when both worked at the State Department. Dulles hoped Field could use his Communist connections in Switzerland and Germany to shed light on Stalin's postwar objectives in Europe.[18]

Edited by David Josephs

On 3/18/2020 at 12:03 PM, David Josephs said:

You make a good point about mothers/caretakers and sons which highly suggests to us that both mothers had to be aware...  Robert MUST have known and John Edward (Mr. Fuhrman) seems to have been coerced into playing along.  (Any pressure put on the PIC family in regards to deporting the Fuhrman family ..??? ( just a thought)

One ought to also question the story Ozzie told about "finding Communism" at such a young age and via a pamphlet... given that comes from HARVEY I'd be very wary about its authenticity.  So I believe we must conclude that little Harvey was pre-disposed to the Communist way of life....  is this because he was, or was "trained" to be more accepting thereby making it easier down the line to get a man into Russia.  (The defection programs of the late 50's early 60's just screams Dulles/Angleton et al as they too knew they were losing the Intel wars.)

David:

Ozzie finding communism from a pamphlet is lame, just like so many stories about Harvey that were created by the WC, CIA or FBI.

Who is the Fuhrman family and did they live in a home that Marguerite and Harvey lived in?

On 3/17/2020 at 12:41 PM, Jim Hargrove said:

I’ve seen the photo on the right before described as an image of “Lee Harvey Oswald,” but know nothing about it.  Do you know about the source and anything at all about the chain of possession of either of these images?  The kids look at least similar to me, but I wouldn’t bet on anything with what I know so far.

I did a google search of the images and found this one. It is signed by Robert Oswald but I somehow doubt his credibility.697447569_OswaldAged2.thumb.jpg.863030f281159597e9e3f4fd7dacc673.jpg

On 3/18/2020 at 5:36 PM, John Butler said:

n Hungary, the Relief and Rescue Committee of Budapest was founded in 1941 and was involved in various efforts to save Polish, Slovak, and Hungarian Jews. In 1943, the group became a recognized arm of the Jewish Agency for Palestine. In May 1944, following the German occupation of Hungary, they approached SS officers Adolf Eichmann (one of the central figures in the "Final Solution") and Kurt Becher. It is believed that Eichmann offered to "exchange" one million Jews for certain unspecified goods. While the deal was never finalized, due to Allied objections, the Committee's negotiators eventually persuaded the Nazis to allow a transport of 1,684 Hungarian Jews to leave Budapest on June 30, 1944. After a short stay in Bergen-Belsen, these Jews reached Switzerland.

John B:

The United Nations Archives has the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) fond. This collection includes displaced persons from WWII. Could be a good place to look for documents pertaining to displaced children.

https://search.archives.un.org/united-nations-relief-and-rehabilitation-administration-unrra-1943-1946

47 minutes ago, John Kowalski said:

David:

Ozzie finding communism from a pamphlet is lame, just like so many stories about Harvey that were created by the WC, CIA or FBI.

Who is the Fuhrman family and did they live in a home that Marguerite and Harvey lived in?

John Edward Pic married Margaret Dorothy Fuhrman - mother Mary owned the apartment on 92nd in the middle of Hungarian Yorktown

At Thanksgiving 1962....  John Butler did some digging... we thought maybe the Mary was the caller... the Fuhrman's are from Hungary as was most of Yorkville.

1380180023_OswaldThanksgiving1962withFamilywithLETTERTOROBERTfromHARVEY-smallerfile.thumb.jpg.09c4b92191ba64fe6ea470632f74a091.jpg

32062079_42161470-8abc-4fa4-aa11-e5137f4961ea.png

David,

Excuse me for the lack of coordination in this.  I still haven't wrapped my head around all the circumstances and implications.

I think we are on to something interesting here.  Once we sort out this information I think we will have something that reflects John Armstrong's thoughts about Harvey being a war orphan and expand upon that.

I think we need to concentrate on Allen Dulles time in Switzerland with the OSS.  Frank Wisner and Noah Field are connected to Dulles in Switzerland.  There are also connections to Permindex in Switzerland.  It's founding with Ferenc Nagy and others.  Clay Shaw and Louis Bloomfield were in the OSS.  I haven't been able to tie him to Switzerland yet.

Take a look at some of the notes I have been assembling and particularly Allen Dulles philosophy or strategic thinking as described by Frank Wisner.  IMO it is the basis for the Oswald Project/Defector Program.

Why I say the time of 1941 to 1943 is important is because this was the time that far thinkers like Allan Dulles his brother John Foster plus other recognized that the Nazis had lost the war.

After the Battle of Moscow Oct., 1941 to Jan., 1942 (the Nazis are driven from Moscow)

and, the Battle of Stalingrad, Aug., 1942 to Feb., 1943 (the Nazis lost at Stalingrad and as a consequence had to begin a retreat during the summer of 1943)

Dulles and others probably realized that the Nazis would be defeated in time and a new enemy the Russians would need to be confronted.  This would be a very strong enemy with a very strong military.  His counterintelligence philosophy would have dictated something similar to the Oswald Project/Defector Program.

People like James Angleton and Richard Helms figure into this later.  They are the inheritors.  There are many connections to Dulles and Switzerland and the surviving OSS branches after Truman killed the OSS.  The connections to people like Angleton, etc begin there. 

This is a lot to make something out of particularly when you tie in what's going on back in the US with Soviet spy groups.  The Soviet spy groups had completely infiltrated the OSS.  People like Noah Field were communist spies that reported through the OSS communist spies that was relayed through the Golos/Bentley networks.  And, the relief and refugee organizations in Hungary and France.  The rescue of the children of the Jewish communists from Germany, France, Hungary, and Russia that had been sent to the Death Camps is the origin of Harvey. 

Jewish Aid and Rescue

In Hungary, the Relief and Rescue Committee of Budapest was founded in 1941 and was involved in various efforts to save Polish, Slovak, and Hungarian Jews. In 1943, the group became a recognized arm of the Jewish Agency for Palestine. In May 1944, following the German occupation of Hungary, they approached SS officers Adolf Eichmann (one of the central figures in the "Final Solution") and Kurt Becher. It is believed that Eichmann offered to "exchange" one million Jews for certain unspecified goods. While the deal was never finalized, due to Allied objections, the Committee's negotiators eventually persuaded the Nazis to allow a transport of 1,684 Hungarian Jews to leave Budapest on June 30, 1944. After a short stay in Bergen-Belsen, these Jews reached Switzerland.

This is directly related to a man named Noah Field who worked under Allen Dulles in the OSS.  Field worked in France and Switzerland to save the children of Jewish communists and Anti-facist refugees of all kinds, Germans, Russians, Hungarians, and other east European.  More on this later.

Organization to Save Children-  Oevvre de Secours Aux Enfants

Œuvre de secours aux enfants (French: [œvʁ də səkuʁ ozɑ̃fɑ̃], Children's Aid Society), abbreviated OSE,[1] is a French Jewish humanitarian organization which assisted mainly Jewish refugee children, both from France and from other Western European countries, before and during World War II. During World War II, OSE rescued children from extermination by Nazi Germany. OSE also operated after World War II.

During the most important period of its work, immediately after the German defeat of France in 1940, OSE operated mainly in unoccupied southern France, controlled by the pro-German Vichy France government. However, many children helped by OSE were from the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, and German-occupied northern France, who had reached the Vichy zone.

OSE was founded in 1912 by doctors in Saint Petersburg, Russia, as Obshchetsvo Zdravookhraneniya Yevreyiev ("Organization for the health protection of Jews"; OZE), to help needy members of the Jewish population. Branches were established in other countries. In 1923 the organization relocated to Berlin, under the symbolic presidency of Albert Einstein. In 1933, fleeing Nazism, it relocated again, this time to France where it became the Œuvre de secours aux enfants ("Society for Rescuing Children"), retaining a similar acronym.

In France, the OSE ran Children's Homes (often called "Châteaux," but actually large "mansions," and see listing below). These Homes were for Jewish children of various ages, including infants, whose parents were either in Nazi concentration camps or had been killed.

In March 1939, several transports brought German Jewish children to France. Other children arrived either on their own or were brought by relatives. By May 1939, the OSE Children's Homes held more than 200 refugee children.

The children were schooled and trained according to their age. To prepare children for possible future dangers, the OSE teachers paid special attention to physical education and survival skills.

A 1999 documentary "The Children of Chabannes" by filmmakers Lisa Gossels and Dean Wetherell is about one such home, Château de Chabannes, in a small village of Chabannes, where 400 Jewish children were saved from the Holocaust.

In June–September 1941, Andree Salomon (importantly, see below) supervised three transports which brought about 350 children from the OSE homes through Marseille and to the United States.[2][3] They were then sponsored by the United States Committee for the Care of European Children, The German-Jewish Children's Aid (later European-Jewish Children's Aid), and assisted by the American Friends Service Committee (Quakers) in Marseilles.[4] Nearly all of those parents were later murdered by the Nazis.

In 1942, the police began round-ups and deportations from the orphanages to Nazi concentration and extermination camps, and the OSE organized an underground network in order to smuggle the children to neutral countries. Some children were saved by French rescuers, and some joined the French resistance.

Contents

During World War II[edit]

The Rescue of Jewish children in France by the OSE, also its Aid to Adults [5][6][7]

First Period of the War[edit]

With the declaration of war in September 1939, the OSE program took on another dimension. It became necessary for OSE to shelter children from Germany and Austria who had become "enemy aliens."

After the German blitzkrieg into France in May 1940, OSE now also had to organize the evacuation of children from the Paris area to protect them from bombing. OSE had to accommodate the flood of refugees. Also OSE had to rethink its social action depending on the political situation in the country.

Children were installed in the Chateaux-Mansions in the Departments of Creuse and Haute-Vienne in the villages of Chabannes, Chaumont, and Masgelier and Montintin.

OSE develops residential-educational facilities[edit]

Of the temporary shelters that existed at the beginning of the war, 14 chateaux-mansions, whether lay or religious, became places where instruction was given in school-subjects, vocational education together with ORT ("Society for Trades and Agricultural Labor,") and in leisure and in sports. Georges Loinger formed a team of instructors, and organized sports competitions within the houses and between houses, so as to prevent the children from living in the stress of confinement, and to prepare for the future.

Andree Salomon[edit]

Andree Salomon, as the OSE delegate to the Gurs and Rivesaltes Concentration Camps, in 1941 started to supervise all the preparations for the emigration of Jewish children from the camps to the U.S.A.

http://www.ose-france.org/memoire/le-service-archive-et-histoire-de-l'ose/l'ose-100-ans-d-e-histoire/le-sauvetage-des-enfants-juifs-pendant-l-e-occupation/

Under the leadership of Andree Salomon, OSE did manage to gather together 311 such children in three large groups, many from the Gurs internment camp, and arranged for their transit to the United States, with the help of other Organizations.[8][9][10] These children travelled by themselves directly to the United States, leaving their parents behind, who were often still in the Gurs internment camp. These children are members of that group of Holocaust Child Survivors who are "One Thousand Children." Most of their parents later were murdered by the Nazis.

The One Thousand Children (OTC)[1][2] is a designation, created in 2000, which is used to refer to the approximately 1,400 Jewish children who were rescued from Nazi Germany and other Nazi-occupied or threatened European countries, and who were taken directly to the United States during the period 1934–1945. The phrase "One Thousand Children" only refers to those children who came unaccompanied and left their parents behind back in Europe. In nearly all cases, their parents were not able to escape with their children, because they could not get the necessary visas among other reasons. Later, nearly all these parents were murdered by the Nazis.

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (USHMM), in its on-line "Holocaust Encyclopedia," in the article on "Immigration of Refugee Children to the United States," recognizes this official name: the "One Thousand Children," for this group of children.[3]

The archives of the "One Thousand Children," which contain much documentary material, including audio and video of both the One Thousand Children 2002 Conference, and individual interviews of OTC children, as well as many other original materials, and which all together are the fundamental reference-source, are held by the YIVO Institute.[4]

The OTC children were rescued by both American and European organizations, as well as by individuals.

Originally only about one thousand such children had been identified as OTC children — hence the name "The One Thousand Children". By 2017 about 1,400 have been identified.

The One Thousand Children, Inc. (OTC, Inc.) was an organization created for further welfare of the OTC children.

Andree Salomon also organized support for all the interned families at Gurs. To do this, she recruited "voluntary internees" who agreed to live in the camps in order to organize the practical and social life of the destitute internees.

During 1943, after the German invasion of the Southern Vichy Region of France in Nov 1942, Salomon participated in the Garel network, which smuggled mainly Jewish hidden children from throughout the region into Switzerland. Similarly, in 1944, she organized the evacuation of hidden children to neutral Spain.

March 1942: Towards a humanitarian mission of resistance[edit]

At the beginning of 1942, and integrated with the UGIF (General Union of Jews in France), OSE gradually shifted from philanthropic work to that in support of a mission of humanitarian resistance. At this time, some Alsatian Jews joined the OSE as new employees. This was very important, because at the end of 1942 OSE was forced to cease the employment of its foreign staff. The situation differed radically from one area to another depending on the conditions of the occupation. However, the full sense of danger and the need to disperse and hide the children only appeared after the roundup of foreign Jews during the 16 and 17 July 1942 in the northern Occupied Zone; and the similar round-up on 26 August in the Vichy southern Zone.

November 1942: Hunted[edit]

On November 11, 1942 the Germans entered the Southern Vichy Zone, and replaced the "token independent" Vichy Government. Jews started leaving the coastal Departments. OSE moved in response to this migration. OSE opened centers in Limoges, Nice, Megève, Saint-Gervais and Chambéry. At Toulouse and Pau, teams covered the surrounding Departments, often in conjunction with the EI (??). In Lyon, the capital of the Resistance, the team of Dr. Lanzenberg came to the rescue and extended its activity into Grenoble. Raids by the Gestapo in 1943 and 1944 were responsible for a large number of arrests, including that of Madeleine Dreyfus. In total, the OSE mobilized more than 25 doctors and fifty assistants.

These chateaux-mansions represented a step in the rescue strategy first implemented by OSE in 1938. OSE gathered the children together for shelter, and then spread them around to hide them; and then re-gathered them and raised them, with housing, food, clothing, education and sports. The story of the rescue of children did not end with the war.

The OSE management location, now provided by Joseph Millner and Valentine Cremer, both of French nationality, now moved to Vic-sur-Cere, which was then in the Italian Zone at Chambéry. Cremer worked with the Office of the Union-OSE, also with the independent UGIF (General Union of Jews in France), and especially with the OSE-Geneva. OSE-Geneva redistributed the money needed to finance all operations, and which came from "The Joint." (The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee)

Spring-Summer 1943: The Garel clandestine network of escape routes[edit]

After the famous "Night of Vénissieux" (near Lyon) in August 1942, during which 108 OSE children were saved from capture and deportation, Joseph Weill used Georges Garel, a French Jewish Combat Engineer, to organize a secret network of escape routes (Underground Railways) for the transport of children. Despite many difficulties, Garel completed the network, which covered four major regions of the Southern Vichy Zone (except around Nice), and it was operational by the summer of 1943. None-the-less the final closing of all the houses, however, took more than a year. Each region operated in a cell and was autonomous, under the direction of an area manager.

From Lyon, Georges Garel coordinated everything, organized the technical infrastructure (false papers, hiding-places, convoys), and managed connections with all the relevant co-workers. Constantly moving, it took political decisions, visits in the regions, and bringing money to overcome arrests. Families, convents and boarding schools were prepared and made ready for the OSE children, whose identity-papers had been falsified, and who had had their ties with their parents cut. This was done through personal contacts with Monsignor Saliège, the Archbishop of Toulouse, and also assistants in both the Jewish and non-Jewish networks.

1943-1944: The smuggling of children into Switzerland[edit]

The smuggling of OSE children into Switzerland started in April 1943, following negotiations with the Swiss authorities for the arrival of unaccompanied children. Several smugglers working directly under the OSE were assigned for this purpose. Jenny Masour together with Robert Job and the heads of OSE houses chose particularly vulnerable children. These children were sent to new homes in the Italian zone, Moutiers-Salins and Saint Paul in the Chablais; or in groups of 6 to 10 to Switzerland. In August 1943, the number of smuggling parties was increased from the evacuation residence centers in Saint-Gervais and Megeve.

In September 1943, with the push of the Germans into the Italian zone, the task became more difficult. The organization of the smuggling-parties to Switzerland was now entrusted to Georges Loinger. After successive arrests from November 1943 to March 1944, the smuggling of children almost came to a stop. In March 1944 they resume at an accelerated rate, carried out jointly by the OSE, the Sixth (the clandestine circuit EIF) and the Zionist youth Movement (MJS).

February 1944: Going into hiding[edit]

The arrest of Alain Mosse and all the officers of the OSE-UGIF in Chambéry required the organization to go into total hiding. OSE decided to close the last chateaux/houses for the children, and also all its centers and offices. OSE management continued to work through periodic meetings in Lyon, at Rene Borel, or in immobilized train carriages. The arrested were deported to Auschwitz, where they died. [11]

OSE's Work after 1944[edit]

After France was liberated in 1944, OSE's work continued. It had to disperse the OSE children under its care. Children were sent to homes in France or to other countries, including Palestine and the United States.

Also, in the above material for 1940-1944, the cited OSE-France web-linked pages have important photographs and captions. They should be copied here.

Moshe Prywes from 1947-51 was director of the OSE Jewish Health Organization in Paris.[12][13]

List of OSE Children's Homes in France during World War II:[14][15][16][edit]

Allen Dulles and refugees

An early foe of Hitler, Dulles joined the fight against Nazi Germany well before Pearl Harbor. He had persuaded Sullivan & Cromwell to close its Berlin office in 1935. As head of COI’s New York office in the autumn of 1941, Dulles worked with William Stephenson (“Intrepid”) of British Security Coordination and gathered data on the Axis from refugees and from American businessmen and journalists with ties in Europe. His long institutional experience and wide contacts superbly equipped him to run wartime intelligence operations out of neutral Switzerland, and Dulles made the most of his many opportunities in Bern

Frank Wisner in Romania

Soon thereafter, Wisner had an emotional breakdown. His doctors diagnosed manic depression, and, according to friends, he never really recovered. In 1965, he killed himself with a shotgun.

A Farewell to Justice: Jim Garrison, JFK's Assassination, and the Case That Should Have Changed History by Joan Mellen

Dissolution into other agencies[edit]

On September 20, 1945, President Truman signed Executive Order 9621, terminating the OSS. The State Department took over the Research and Analysis Branch; it became the Bureau of Intelligence and Research, The War Department took over the Secret Intelligence (SI) and Counter-Espionage (X-2) Branches, which were then housed in the new Strategic Services Unit (SSU). Brigadier General John Magruder (formerly Donovan's Deputy Director for Intelligence in OSS) became the new SSU director. He oversaw the liquidation of the OSS and managed the institutional preservation of its clandestine intelligence capability.[59]

In January 1946, President Truman created the Central Intelligence Group (CIG), which was the direct precursor to the CIA. SSU assets, which now constituted a streamlined "nucleus" of clandestine intelligence, were transferred to the CIG in mid-1946 and reconstituted as the Office of Special Operations (OSO). The National Security Act of 1947 established the first permanent peacetime intelligence agency in the United States, the Central Intelligence Agency, which then took up OSS functions. The direct descendant of the paramilitary component of the OSS is the CIA Special Activities Division.[60]

Today, the joint-branch United States Special Operations Command, founded in 1987, uses the same spearhead design on its insignia, as homage to its indirect lineage.

Counterintelligence

Frank Wisner, a well-known CIA operations executive said of the autobiography of Director of Central Intelligence Allen W. Dulles,[15] that Dulles "disposes of the popular misconception that counterintelligence is essentially a negative and responsive activity, that it moves only or chiefly in reaction to situations thrust upon it and in counter to initiatives mounted by the opposition." Rather, he sees that can be most effective, both in information gathering and protecting friendly intelligence services, when it creatively but vigorously attacks the "structure and personnel of hostile intelligence services."[16] Today's counterintelligence missions have broadened from the time when the threat was restricted to the foreign intelligence services (FIS) under the control of nation-states. Threats have broadened to include threats from non-national or trans-national groups, including internal insurgents, organized crime, and transnational based groups (often called "terrorists", but that is limiting). Still, the FIS term remains the usual way of referring to the threat against which counterintelligence protects.

Offensive counterintelligence operations[edit]

Wisner emphasized his own, and Dulles', views that the best defense against foreign attacks on, or infiltration of, intelligence services is active measures against those hostile services.[16] This is often called counterespionage: measures taken to detect enemy espionage or physical attacks against friendly intelligence services, prevent damage and information loss, and, where possible, to turn the attempt back against its originator. Counterespionage goes beyond being reactive and actively tries to subvert hostile intelligence service, by recruiting agents in the foreign service, by discrediting personnel actually loyal to their own service, and taking away resources that would be useful to the hostile service. All of these actions apply to non-national threats as well as to national organizations.

If the hostile action is in one's own country or in a friendly one with co-operating police, the hostile agents may be arrested, or, if diplomats, declared persona non grata. From the perspective of one's own intelligence service, exploiting the situation to the advantage of one's side is usually preferable to arrest or actions that might result in the death of the threat. The intelligence priority sometimes comes into conflict with the instincts of one's own law enforcement organizations, especially when the foreign threat combines foreign personnel with citizens of one's country.

In some circumstances, arrest may be a first step in which the prisoner is given the choice of co-operating or facing severe consequence up to and including a death sentence for espionage. Co-operation may consist of telling all one knows about the other service but preferably actively assisting in deceptive actions against the hostile service.

In many governments, the responsibility for protecting these things is split. Historically, CIA assigned responsibility for protecting its personnel and operations to its Office of Security, while it assigned the security of operations to multiple groups within the Directorate of Operations: the counterintelligence staff and the area (or functional) unit, such as Soviet Russia Division. At one point, the counterintelligence unit operated quite autonomously, under the direction of James Jesus Angleton. Later, operational divisions had subordinate counterintelligence branches, as well as a smaller central counterintelligence staff. Aldrich Ames was in the Counterintelligence Branch of Europe Division, where he was responsible for directing the analysis of Soviet intelligence operations. US military services have had a similar and even more complex split.

World War II[edit]

During World War II, Angleton served under Pearson in the counter-intelligence branch (X-2) of the Office of Strategic Services in London, where he met the famous double agent Kim Philby. Angleton was chief of the Italy desk for X-2 in London by February 1944 and in November was transferred to Italy as commander of SCI [Secret Counterintelligence] Unit Z, which handled Ultra intelligence based on the British intercepts of German radio communications.

By the end of the war, he was head of X-2 for all of Italy. In this position Angleton helped Junio Valerio Borghese escape execution, whose elite unit Decima MAS had collaborated with the SS.[9] Angleton was interested in the defense of installations such as ports and bridges and offered Borghese a fair trial, in return for his collaboration.[10] He dressed him up in an American uniform and drove him from Milan to Rome for interrogation by the Allies. Borghese was then tried and convicted of collaboration with the Nazi invaders but not of war crimes, by the Italian court.

Angleton remained in Italy after the war, establishing connections with other secret intelligence services and playing a major role in the victory of the US-supported Christian Democratic Party, over the USSR-supported Italian Communist Party in the 1948 elections.

CIA career[edit]

Rise in influence in the CIA[edit]

Returning to Washington, he was employed by the various successor organizations to the OSS, eventually becoming one of the founder-officers of the Central Intelligence Agency. In May 1949, he was made head of Staff A of the CIA's Office of Special Operations, where he was responsible for the collection of foreign intelligence and liaison with the CIA's counterpart organizations. Beginning in 1951, Angleton was responsible for liaison with Israel's Mossad and Shin Bet agencies, "the Israeli desk", crucial relationships that he managed for the remainder of his career. During the next five years, Angleton helped put in place the structure of the new Agency and participated, to some extent, in the "rollback" operations, associated with Frank Wisner in Albania, Poland and other countries, concerning all of which Angleton counseled caution and all of which failed. He worked particularly closely with Kim Philby, who being groomed to head the Secret Intelligence Service MI6, was also in Washington. The Angletons developed a varied social set in Washington, including professional acquaintances like the Philbys, poets, painters and journalists. In 1951, Philby's colleagues Guy Burgess and Donald Maclean defected to Moscow. Philby was expelled from Washington, suspected of having tipped them off to imminent exposure based on decoded Soviet communications from the Venona project.

Chief of the counterintelligence staff of the CIA[edit]

In 1954 Allen Dulles, who had recently become Director of Central Intelligence, named Angleton head of the Counterintelligence Staff, a position that Angleton retained for the rest of his CIA career. Dulles also assigned Angleton responsibility for coordination with allied intelligence services. In general, Angleton's career at CIA can be divided into three areas of responsibility: foreign intelligence activities, counterintelligence and domestic intelligence activities.

The Permindex

by Linda de Hoyos

This brief outline of the Permindex organization is based

on an investigation by the EIR's Investigative Leads staff,

also using the results of the New Orleans District Attorney

Jim Garrison's 1967 investigation and the suppressed Permindex

papers written by .. William Torbitt" (an apparent

pseudonym), itself based on reports by U.S. and French

intelligence agencies. A full expose of the Permindex

organization will appear in the second edition of Dope,

Inc., by Investigative Leads' Jeffrey Steinberg and David

Goldman, published by the New Benjamin Franklin House

Publishing Company, due for release this spring.

In the spring of 1963, a series of planning sessions

was held at an exclusive resort club in Montego Bay,

Jamaica, called the Tryall Compound, built at the close

of World War II by Britain's Chief of Special Operations

Executive (SO E) William Stephenson. Present at various

times for the planning sessions were: Major Louis

Bloomfield, still an officer, then of British SOE; Ferenc

Nagy, a wartime cabinet minister in the pro-Hitler Horthy

government in Hungary and later its prime minister;

Georgio Mantello, a Romanian-born Jew who had

served as trade minister under Mussolini; Col. Clay

Shaw, a former officer of the U.S. Office of Strategic

Services and in 1963 the director of the New Orleans

International Trade Mart; Jean de Menil, a White Russian

emigre and president of the Houston-based Schlumberger

Corporation; and Paul Raigorodsky, another

White Russian emigre who had served as Special Representative

to Europe for NATO and was a high-ranking

official of the Tolstoy Foundation.

Without exception, each of these people was also a

member of the board of directors of Permindex (Permanent

Industrial Expositions). The subject of their meetings:

the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in

Dallas, Texas on Nov. 22, 1963.

President Kennedy was not the first target of the

Permindex international assassination bureau. In 1 967,

the French intelligence agency SDECE released the re

Louis Bloomfield

President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Office of Strategic Services in 1942. Bloomfield was recruited and given the rank of major.

Louis Mortimer Bloomfield

By John Simkin, April 21, 2006 in JFK Assassination Debate

President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Office of Strategic Services in 1942. Bloomfield was recruited and given the rank of major. In 1947, the OSS evolved into the Central Intelligence Agency, and Bloomfield continued doing contract work for the new organization. He was a regular visitor to Israel and met the Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion on 4th May, 1949.

A successful lawyer he worked for years at the law firm of Phillips and Vineberg in Montreal. He was a major stockholder of Permindex, a corporation based in Switzerland. He was also the author on several books on on international law including The British Hondurus Guatemala Dispute (1953) and Egypt, Israel and the Gulf of Aqaba (1957).

In Nomenclature of an Assassination Cabal William Torbitt claims that the assassination of John F. Kennedy was organized by Bloomfield and Permindex. Also involved included Defense Industrial Security Command, organized by J. Edgar Hoover and William Sullivan. Torbitt claims that Bloomfield was in control of the operation. DISC agents included Clay Shaw, Guy Banister, David Ferrie, Lee Harvey Oswald, and Jack Ruby.

In the ranks of PERMINDEX were actual Nazis and neo-Nazis, terrorists and Mafia operatives. Typical was Prince Guterez di Spadafora, a former Mussolini undersecretary, whose son had married the daughter of Hitler's finance minister, Hjalmar Schact, tried for war crimes at Nuremberg. The leadership of PERMINDEX included a long-time asset of CIA Deputy Direct of Plans, Frank Wisner. His name was Ferenc Nagy, and he was the president of PERMINDEX. Nagy had been chairman of the Hungarian's 'People's Party' or  'Independent Party of Small Holders.' Briefly, in 1945, he had been prime minister of Hungary. But it was Nagy's CIA history that catapulted him to the leadership of PERMINDEX. Its general secretary, Bela Kovacs, was also a CIA asset. Kovacs had been arrested by the Soviet security police and charged with spying for 'a Western intelligence service.'

Nagy had been on Frank Wisner's list of the individuals with whom his office would 'have dealings in connection with our authorized activities' since September 22, 1948. Wisner then had been Assistant Director of CIA as well as 'Assistant Director for Policy Coordination.' Nagy had been a 'cleared contact of the International Organizations Division of the Agency,' among Wisner's most trusted Eastern European contacts.

Nagy's history with the CIA dates from its beginnings and links to PERMINDEX with the Agency's clandestine services. Confirming de Gaulle's thesis that PERMINDEX funded the OAS is that Nagy was a 'munificent contributer'  to Jacques Soustelle, former professor at the École pratique des hautes études and former Algerian governor general. Soustelle became an OAS supporters, and his organization, Conseil national de la resistance, was all but identical to OAS. In 1960, Soustelle met in Washington, D.C., with Richard Bissell, then heading the CIA's clandestine services. A year later, Soustelle went into exile to avoid being arrested by de Gaulle's police. Two years after that he would be accused of colluding with OAS in the attempted assassination of de Gaulle. S Soustelle had openly 'advocated over throwing de Gualle,' while condoning OAS violence.

In New Orleans, Delphine Roberts identified Nagy from his photograph as someone she had seen at Guy Banister's office.

Nagy's partner in the leadership of PERMINDEX was Giorgio Mantello, aka George Mandel, who during World War II had traded in Jewish refugees, profiting handsomely from their misery from his perch at the consulate of El Salvador in Bern.  It was Mandel who had been the official founder of PERMINDEX. CIA kept silent, but the State Department learned that, as 'Georges Mandel,' Mantello had been engaged in the 'wartime Jewish refugee racket' until he was expelled from Switzerland.

Although Centro Mondiale Commerciale refused to reveal the origins of its vast income, the paper trail leads to a Miami bank, Astalde Vaduz, and to the CIA front 'Double-Chek.' CMC was connected as well to L.M. Bloomfield in Montreal, and to the Seligman banking family in Basel; Seligman banking in turn was allied with Sullivan and Cromwell, the law firm of CIA Director of Central Intelligence, Allen Dulles. 'My parents are very interested in PERMINDEX,' Peter Seligman-Schurch wrote to Clay Shaw.

Edited by John Butler

John K.

Robert Oswald was a member of the Oswald Project.  He would say what was needed to be said for the FBI or the CIA.

697447569_OswaldAged2.thumb.jpg.863030f281159597e9e3f4fd7dacc673.jpg

This photo did not come from the Oswald family.  IMO, it came from a French Orphanage run by a group called Organization to Save the Children and Noah Field.  It was taken about 1942 and IMO again matched to the photo of Lee Oswald at the same age by the OSS in probably 1942-43.  The war orphan was brought to the US and placed in the Gardos family as Emil's son. 

Consider this:  Who keeps a toddlers outfit for 21 years after suffering all the hardships and after all the moving that the Oswald family did during that time?  It is simply not believable.

Edited by John Butler

8 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

John B,

The explanations of your methodology are most appreciated.  You’re better with photos than I am, and so I would only suggest that you try and create or even re-create any info you gather about each photo’s provenance.  I’ve been routinely disappointed by online image searches and believe they cannot be relied upon at all unless they help establish at least some recorded documentation.

All the best on this research you are doing.  Hope you can make some provable discoveries!  And I agree with you completely about the potential genetic makeup and earliest history of the the Russian-speaking Oswald.

Jim,

Often time the photos on the net are better than the government ones (WC, HSCA, and other files).  That's why I use them.  The provenance is important.  Very important. 

But, I often lack the knowledge to know where to vet these photos.  I haven't been a JFK researcher that long.  That's a big weakness.  I've come to rely on David Josephs vast knowledge.  A good example is the Dulles clue.  Go over the notes I have been assembling and a framework or picture will begin to form on what may have happened ending in Harvey Oswald. 

John K. has given a good example of a vetted photo.  Can you trust this information on the Harvey photo.  I think it is phony.  There is no way the Oswald family could have had that photo of Harvey except through a government agency, the CIA's Oswald Project.