The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

8 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Now, if Musk decides to go into an office at Apple with an AR-15 and "defend himself," the verdict in the Kyle Rittenhouse case makes me wonder if Musk would actually be convicted if he took out half of Apple's staff. Maybe if he could get a change of venue to Wisconsin...he might.---MK

I think if Musk took an AR-15 and murdered people, in Apple HQ or on the street, he would prosecuted and imprisoned (presuming solid evidence).

Do you really believe Musk would be exonerated in a public court of law? 

Why do you say this? 

Ben,

The AR-15 comment was partially in jest. I have a Twitter account, and although I have NEVER followed Kyle Rittenhouse, his posts began showing up on my feed almost as soon as Musk reinstated his account. After thinking this was someone's mistake, I finally got more than enough Rittenhouse and I blocked his account from my feed.

What I was trying to say was, if Musk believes that Apple doesn't have the right to cut their advertising on Twitter [or wherever else they may decide to cut their advertising], perhaps he can use the argument that he felt he was being "threatened" and could "justifiably" take some lives, just as Rittenhouse did. As I said before, that part was meant in jest. 

Do I believe that Musk would be exonerated in a public court of law? Stranger things have happened; Rittenhouse was found not guilty, after all. I suppose it would depend upon how "threatened" Musk felt at the time of the shooting, and how many tears Musk could show for the jury. [Still speaking slightly in jest.]

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

9 minutes ago, John Cotter said:

William,

In my latest post I’ve rebutted the co-morbidity argument of your previous reply which you’ve copied above.

Since we’re supposed to believe that the covid pandemic by definition involves a virus that has similar effects globally, my rebuttal should apply to the US as well as to Ireland.

Moreover, Professor Fenton’s analysis of the English situation effectively corroborates the analysis of the Irish situation which I’ve adduced.

So no, unfortunately, William, the Irish haven’t been protected by Guinness Stout, whiskey, the craytur poteen, Celtic genomes, gnomes, leprechauns, luaradauns, or any other species of otherworldly folk.

On the contrary, “Ireland has the highest death rate from respiratory disease in western Europe; death rates are over twice the EU average…”. I attribute this to our oppressively long, sun-deprived, damp winters, though that doesn’t seem to be officially acknowledged. They push the flu jab instead – probably because pharmaceutical multinationals contribute substantially to the Irish economy.

John,

I'll have to look into the subject of Irish (and British) COVID mortality stats after 2019.

Some people do seem to have a genetic resistance to COVID morbidity and mortality.

The Irish were, possibly, protected from COVID mortality by a few U.S. risk factors (not mutually exclusive)...

1)  Air pollution

2)  Living in counties that voted for Donald Trump

3)  Being a Fox News viewer

4)  Stupidity

I am not expert on twitter, so who knows if these figures are right. But twitter is publicly held, so Musk would face serious consequence for not being truthful. 

"A month after completing his takeover of Twitter, Elon Musk says new user signups are at an “all-time high.” On Saturday evening, the billionaire shared a slide deck that details the current state of Twitter and his vision for the platform. As of November 16th, Twitter was adding more than 2 million new users per day over the last seven days, according to one of the graphs Musk shared. He added daily signups are up 66 percent compared to the same seven-day period in 2021. 

Musk said user active minutes were also at an all-time high, with Twitter’s userbase averaging nearly 8 billion active minutes per day over the last seven days as of November 15th – representing a 30 percent increase from the same period last year. He also used a graph to claim hate speech impressions recently decreased."

---30---

https://www.engadget.com/twitter-user-signups-hit-all-time-high-says-elon-musk-180252792.html

I suppose it is possible twitter will become the right-wing, red, or 'Phant, conservative, populist social media platform, and globally. 

Maybe the left-wingers will bleed off into another platform. 

Is that a good business model? I dunno. 

27 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

Ben- after Musk bought Twitter it ceased to be a publicly held company.

Musk is a serial confabulist and fraud.

Matt---

Shame on me! Of course, you are right, Musk took twitter private. 

I would not define Musk as a fraud. He started up a new auto company, and succeeded, something few, if any, had done in decades. That was a gigantic accomplishment. 

Since then other battery-car companies have been founded. 

Musk has provided a fleet of satellites to Ukraine. That is hardly small potatoes. 

But Musk has a curious personality. And Musk is now a vassal of Beijing, or at least must be regarded as such, since he opened up his Shanghai auto plant. As goes Disney-Apple-NBA...so goes Musk? 

Putin loathes, detest and reviles Musk. What do you think of that? 

Musk still has to be cautious about twiiter subscribers and other numbers, or advertisers might sue. 

In general I wish Musk success on twitter, and in developing a more-neutral platform.

Will, or can, he do it and survive?  I dunno. 

9 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Get a clue, Mathew.  You are committing libel here on the forum-- making false statements that inaccurately impugn the reputation of a forum member.

At what point have you crossed the line for acceptable forum behavior here at the "water cooler?"

I posted this data about COVID mortality rates and party affiliation because you claimed (above) that no one had analyzed COVID mortality data based on party affiliation.  You were wrong.

80% of deaths in this study is a fairly comprehensive U.S. database-- correlating with the epidemiological data from other sources that have clearly documented higher COVID death rates in U.S. counties that voted for Trump.

This isn't surprising, given the way that Trump and Fox News have politicized resistance to proper public health management of the COVID pandemic since 2020.

The CDC mortality data that I posted for you (above) about death rates and vaccination status is a somewhat different issue than party affiliation, per se.  There has been a NINEFOLD increased incidence in excess deaths in unvaccinated adults over age 65 in the U.S. since mid-2021.

Obviously, some Republican voters got vaccinated.

0dfe40235fa2721dda87289444181e9e.gif

15 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Isn't it interesting how the "corporate fan boys'  always end up siding with corporate elites.

November 3: Koch-funded legal group fights to protect online Covid misinformation (CMD News)

A litigation group funded by billionaire Charles Koch is helping support several scientists, who are known for promoting COVID-19 misinformation, in a lawsuit against the Biden administration that is claiming “censorship” regarding their social media posts. Justin Feldman, research associate at the François-Xavier Bagnoud (FXB) Center of Health and Human Rights at Harvard University, said that right-wing organizations, like the group funded by Koch, “want their policies to seem legitimate to the public, so they find scientists who have opinions that are viewed as fringe or discredited by mainstream science.”

The Koch Foundation was one of the entities who carried out a pandemic simulation. The others being the Rockefeller Foundation and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. These happened between 2012 and late 2019. 

23 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

Ah, except the problem is... he didn't.

Elon Musk is not one of the founders of Tesla.

https://insideevs.com/features/486635/tesla-founders-talk-early-days/

I can't claim to be an expert on Tesla, but Musk is considered key to that company's early and tremendous success. 

Fascists gin up big lies.  It’s what they do.

https://theintercept.com/2022/11/29/elon-musk-twitter-andy-ngo-antifascist/

ELON MUSK CLAIMS to be “fighting for free speech in America” but the social network’s new owner appears to be overseeing a purge of left-wing activists from the platform.

Several prominent antifascist organizers and journalists have had their accounts suspended in the past week, after right-wing operatives appealed directly to Musk to ban them and far-right internet trolls flooded Twitter’s complaints system with false reports about terms of service violations.

</q>

1 hour ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Fascists gin up big lies.  It’s what they do.

https://theintercept.com/2022/11/29/elon-musk-twitter-andy-ngo-antifascist/

ELON MUSK CLAIMS to be “fighting for free speech in America” but the social network’s new owner appears to be overseeing a purge of left-wing activists from the platform.

Several prominent antifascist organizers and journalists have had their accounts suspended in the past week, after right-wing operatives appealed directly to Musk to ban them and far-right internet trolls flooded Twitter’s complaints system with false reports about terms of service violations.

</q>

Funny a guy who supports the government forcing people to take a corporation's vaccine would call others Fascist.

lol But that's part of being a leftist, alarmism is part of the show. I remember you guys saying Trump was going to put people in camps! Meanwhile when China does it, it's OKAY because they aren't capitalist fascist America!

You are so out of touch Cliff you shared article about how Antifa Activists who violate the terms of service for violence are being kicked off of Twitter (Oh heavens! Sarcasm Added) 

Edited by Matthew Koch