The Education Forum

For Jim DiEugenio- JFK's quote on the CIA confirmed

21 minutes ago, Micah Mileto said:

"Oh, I'm sure the New York Times just got that quote from crazy Dave behind the gas station"

I saw somewhere recently where a LNer thought this was made up by Oliver Stone (!!!)...so much for another LNer lie/myth/"mistake" haha

1 minute ago, Vince Palamara said:

I saw somewhere recently where a LNer thought this was made up by Oliver Stone (!!!)...so much for another LNer lie/myth/"mistake" haha

It was a similar situation in the last 4 years with the New York Times reporting on Trump's failings based on sources who did not want their names revealed.

Cliff: It says here: "The articles are by a team of New York Times correspondents consisting of Tom Wicker, John W. Finney, Max Frankel, E.W. Kenworthy and other Times staff members. " But it's not clear who wrote this.

https://www.nytimes.com/1966/04/25/archives/cia-maker-of-policy-or-tool-survey-finds-widely-feared-agency-is.html

That was actually a pretty good series on the CIA.  Know its hard to comprehend, but for whatever reason, they actually did a decent job on the subject. 

I like that quote, and it probably expressed JFK's sentiments.

But...the NYT attributes the quote to "one of the highest officials" in the JFK Administration, who then attributes the quote to JFK. There is an old joke that the deputy undersecretary on the Bolivia desk becomes a "senior official" when needed for an anonymous quote. 

A small matter, but perhaps we should say "a quote attributed to JFK." 

I read somewhere that the quote about "breaking the CIA into a thousand pieces and casting it to the wind," was something that JFK told Senator Mike Mansfield.

Can't remember the source.

10 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

I read somewhere that the quote about "breaking the CIA into a thousand pieces and casting it to the wind," was something that JFK told Senator Mike Mansfield.

Your mention of Mansfield rang a bell with me too regarding the quote but I can't remember where I might have seen it either.  I looked in a half dozen books I thought it might have come from.  It's mentioned in David Talbot's Brothers and James Douglass Unspeakable but attributed to the 1966 NYT article.

A google search of "break the cia into a thousand pieces mansfield"  gets a wiki story on the NYT article concluding unconfirmed.  Then I added mike to the search.  An unusual source popped up from just last year.  Not where I might have originally read about it/him nor you either I imagine.  Authored by editor Steven Hager in 1991 his attribution to Mansfield is not sourced.  But I don't think he just made it up, nor did I first read it in High Times as I've leafed through maybe a couple of issues I've come across over the years.  So we're not nuts.  Mansfield's name has been associated with the quote somewhere in the past, who said he said it is still an open question.  I don't know where else to look.

It's actually a excellent article.  These early quotes in it pulled me in.  Garrison:  "in America, Peace is a dangerous business."  Oliver Stone: "We're a generation of Hamlet figures."  The advice at the end of the article is sage.  Buy books on the assassination and cover-up and educate yourself.

High Times Greats: The JFK Assassination | High Times

12 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Mansfield is my recollection as well.

I think it’s in “Brothers” or the “Devils Chessboard” or “The Unspeakable”, I have definitely read it somewhere too with a person quoted. 

Looking for more info on Mansfield I stumbled across this.  Not related to the quote.  But kind of touching in spots.  A step back in time.  Who knows JFK might have carried Montana n 64'.

JFK's 1963 visit to Montana seared into memories by assassination | Local News | missoulian.com 

On 2/22/2021 at 7:49 PM, Ron Bulman said:

Looking for more info on Mansfield I stumbled across this.  Not related to the quote.  But kind of touching in spots.  A step back in time.  Who knows JFK might have carried Montana n 64'.

JFK's 1963 visit to Montana seared into memories by assassination | Local News | missoulian.com 

Interesting article that brings up a lot of issues for me about the history of Progressive politics in the arch-conservative Rocky Mountain West, where I grew up.

For example, JFK invoked Teddy Roosevelt's (and Gifford Pinchot's) magical code word, "Conservation," in his 1960 visit to Great Falls.

(Gifford Pinchot was Mary Pinchot Meyer's paternal uncle.)

Western Robber Barons have always despised Roosevelt and Pinchot's radical, "progressive" push to establish and protect our National Forests (and National Parks) from extractive and commercial industries.  It's a conflict that has characterized Western political history for more than a century-- from T.R. and Pinchot down to the era of Dick Cheney and Trump's leasing of wilderness preserves to extractive industries.

Andrew Prutsok is probably much more familiar with the political situation in Montana nowadays, but a terrific history of T.R.'s struggle with Weyerhauser, Rockefeller, and the Robber Barons in Montana and the Pacific Northwest is Timothy Egan's, The Big Burn.

I can't recommend Egan's book highly enough, for anyone interested in the history of our National Forests.

The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America: Egan, Timothy: 9780547394602: Amazon.com: Books

Edited by W. Niederhut
typo