The Education Forum

JFK Revisited: The New Trailer

55 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

What happened to your web site Pat?

Its a good one.

I talked about it in my interview with Alan from the sixth floor of the hospital. When I was at my sickest at the hospital in the Spring, I received an email from google saying I need to upgrade to the new google sites because the old google sites was going bye-bye. So I did it. I looked at the home page, and it looked the same except the videos were smaller. I then did it for the whole site, assuming I could go back to the old pages if anything was wrong. But I was wrong. A few weeks later, when I was feeling a bit better I took a look and realized the "upgrade" had in fact scrambled all the images on my website, changing their sizes and switching the order of many of the images within the page. I started to fix it but found it was a pain in the rump, and I couldn't find a tutorial online. So I decided to revert to the older versions of the pages, except...except...all the pages/chapters were now considered the first version of each page/chapter, and I couldn't revert to the old versions. Essentially, they were lost forever. 

In any event, over the last month I have spent a few hours a day working on the website, gradually learning how to move and re-size images. While doing so, I learned that some images were disappeared by google--God knows why--and that some of the text was scrambled as well. It's been an ordeal, but I hope it's near the end. (The parallel between my self-named website getting sick and then getting better as I've recovered from a serious illness is a bit poetic, but my life is filled with such coincidences.)

P.S. As you know, one of the areas most screwed by google was the area in which I shared the Feinman docs. This led to a phone call from Oliver's top man, Rob, who asked if I could possibly find them and send them his way, seeing as they'd been removed from my website. Fortunately (I'm not the most organized of researchers), I was able to find them and send them his way. Perhaps you could tell me why he needed them. Is Oliver preparing a response to the media's criticism of his work, that will include a section on Feinman? Or was this for the book accompanying the 4-hour film?

P.P.S. One of the curious discoveries was that the two sections most scrambled and or missing images was the section on the Feinman docs proving CBS fibbed, and the section on Dale Myer's bogus animation. It's enough to make a conspiracy theorist paranoid, I tell ya.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

I don't think it loses that much without the Z film.  Does anyone else think it does?  That may be me since I have seen it about 500 times.

Jim are they not licensing the Z film for the doc? Seems they don't protect it much elsewhere, does that negate any fair use claim or infringement? Just curious.

In the law there is a difference between Fair use for critical studies and Fair Use for promotion.  That is what they complained to the distributor about.

Pat, the Feinman docs are something I think I want to use in the book as part of a document annex.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Oliver Stone will have an Op Ed out soon on what Biden did.

Russell Brand. Joe Rogen and now Oliver.

8 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

In the law there is a difference between Fair use for critical studies and Fair Use for promotion.  That is what they complained to the distributor about.

But not for the doc I take it. I get why they'd squawk about the trailer. 

They won't plead that for the film.

At least not according to Oliver's lawyer.

21 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

They won't plead that for the film.

At least not according to Oliver's lawyer.

I'd guess not. IANAL but it seems they don't protect it elsewhere and with thousands of copies of it out there I doubt they could claim financial damages. Stone's lawyer is probably pretty good I imagine.

I agree, I don't think there could be any renumeration.

BTW, we go over this in the film.   The government paid the Zapruder family 16 million to store the original in the freezer and the family then gave the copyright to the Sixth Floor.  

WTF?

13 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

BTW, we go over this in the film.   The government paid the Zapruder family 16 million to store the original in the freezer and the family then gave the copyright to the Sixth Floor.  

WTF?

because the Sixth Floor will renew the copyright (no questions asked) and respect the Zapruder name in perpetuity

54 minutes ago, David G. Healy said:

because the Sixth Floor will renew the copyright (no questions asked) and respect the Zapruder name in perpetuity

I don't think they can renew it now. I may be mistaken but I don't think they can hold a copyright after 2058 at the most, and that's if they renewed it in 1991.

15 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

WTF?

Figures. Don't blame them for grabbing the cash but the sixth floor shouldn't be able to dictate usage IMO. Whatever...

Tunheim was really upset about this.

The deal was completed after the ARRB disbanded.

He said the DOJ should have never agreed to arbitration.

They should have given them a take or leave it offer and then gone to court.

Thanks Ron, I did not see that one.

BTW, has there ever been a documentary that has the winners of 8 Oscars and an Emmy?

Oliver- 3 Oscars

Bob Richardson-3 Oscars

Whoopi: Oscar

Sutherland: Honorary Oscar and an Emmy.

I don't even think those war time films by Capra and Stevens had this many awards.  I am sure Joe will correct me if I am wrong.