The Education Forum

Seymour Weitzman saw a different scope too

1 hour ago, Denis Morissette said:

Funny that Weitzman didn’t mention the Mauser stamp neither to the WC, CBS in 1967 or to the HSCA. He had plenty of occasions to. Craig lied again.

Nor did he endorse it being a carcano in his WC testimony.

https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh7/pdf/WH7_Weitzman.pdf

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Paul Cummings said:

It looks much like a Mauser much, so his mistake was honest. I talked to a deputy sheriff who saw the rifle on the 6th floor. He told me, “A Carcano is a Mauser. Isn’t it?” I don’t how I can get this through your head.

5 minutes ago, Denis Morissette said:

It looks much like a Mauser much, so his mistake was honest. I talked to a deputy sheriff who saw the rifle on the 6th floor. He told me, “A Carcano is a Mauser. Isn’t it?” I don’t how I can get this through your head.

Mr. BALL. I understand that. Now, in your statement to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, you gave a description of the rifle, how it looked.

Mr. WEITZMAN. I said it was a Mauser-type action, didn’t I?

Mr. BALL. Mauser bolt action.

Mr. WEITZMAN. And at the time I looked at it, I believe I said it was 2.5 scope on it and I believe I said it was a Weaver but it wasn’t; it turned out to be anything but a Weaver, but that was at a glance

1 hour ago, Paul Cummings said:

A mis identification is not surprising. After all, how many Carcanos did he see in his life? You should more puzzled by the fact he never said he saw the Mauser stamp which was the best argument he could ever bring ? The stamp was not mentioned by Craig before until 1971. Craig didn’t mention it during his testimony in the Clay Shaw trial.

2 minutes ago, Paul Cummings said:

Mr. BALL. I understand that. Now, in your statement to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, you gave a description of the rifle, how it looked.

Mr. WEITZMAN. I said it was a Mauser-type action, didn’t I?

Mr. BALL. Mauser bolt action.

Mr. WEITZMAN. And at the time I looked at it, I believe I said it was 2.5 scope on it and I believe I said it was a Weaver but it wasn’t; it turned out to be anything but a Weaver, but that was at a glance

Carcanos are Mauser bolt-action. I think that’s what got Weitzman.

6 minutes ago, Denis Morissette said:

A mis identification is not surprising. After all, how many Carcanos did he see in his life? You should more puzzled by the fact he never said he saw the Mauser stamp which was the best argument he could ever bring ? The stamp was not mentioned by Craig before until 1971. Craig didn’t mention it during his testimony in the Clay Shaw trial.

Well apparently many in the DPD didn't as it took how long before they identified it being Carcano? Given this key piece of evidence of the gun that just killed the President of the United States why did it take so long to identify? Was there more important evidence they needed to look at? Craig can only answer the questions asked as the courtroom isn't the time for him to go off his own accord. It's not like Craig is conducting a press conference in the court room.

Edited by Paul Cummings

1 minute ago, Paul Cummings said:

Well apparently many in the DPD didn't as it took how long before they identified it being Carcano? Given this key piece of evidence of the gun that just killed the President of the United States why did it take so long to identify? Was there more important evidence they needed to look at? Also he can only answer the questions asked as the courtroom isn't the time for Craig to go off his own accord.

They could have done better at getting out the Carcano name. But fortunately, tons of photos and films taken inside and outside the building shows a Carcano. Craig said the police took photos of the Mauser, but there is none. You should be puzzled 

1 minute ago, Denis Morissette said:

They could have done better at getting out the Carcano name. But fortunately, tons of photos and films taken inside and outside the building shows a Carcano. Craig said the police took photos of the Mauser, but there is none. You should be puzzled 

Yeah clearly shows a carcano. It's so clear it took until the next day for law enforcement to identify the weapon. 

7 hours ago, Denis Morissette said:

I'm puzzled you're adamant that photos show it to be a carcano when even the authorities allegedly couldn't determine what type of gun it was until much later? I don't see anything your video (other than verbal) that confirms that rifle is a carcano. You can tell from this video it's a carcano? How many people got a good look at the rifle after it was taken out of the TSBD? According to Lt. Day he took back to the office and went back to the TSBD and returned to around 3PM. 

Edited by Paul Cummings

10 hours ago, Paul Cummings said:

Wow! Very interesting testimony.

Weitzman was never asked how close he was to the rifle when he ID'd it.

He wasn't asked if he saw any type of stamping on the rifle which may have actually said "Mauser?" 

His recollection matches that of Roger Craig. Craig simply said Weitzman said..."it looks like a Mauser" and then seconds later "it is a Mauser."

He got close to the scope obviously yet again misidentified it?

The Dallas PD went along with Weitzman's "Mauser ID" for another day?

Steam pipes in the area behind the picket fence hot enough to burn your hands?

Never heard that before.

Someone showed Weitzman or gave him a piece of JFK's skull that was found in the street just 15 inches from the Elm street southside curb? On the left side of JFK's limo looking at it from the back. Near where Charles Brehm, Jean Hill and Mary Moorman were standing?

Was the skull piece sent to Parkland...or Bethesda?

The so-called head shot coming in behind JFK's left side on a line to the TXSBD Southeast corner 6th floor window explodes JFK's skull in a way that part of it flies back and left to the Southside curb?

Sure explains the missing skull hole Clint Hill and many Parkland ER personnell reported seeing while attending to JFK.

Weitzman was a pilot in the Army Air corps during WWII and was captured and imprisoned in Japan?

Weitzman had a degree in engineering ( pretty brainey guy ) briefly worked with guns in a sporting goods store ... and he confidently tells Will Fritz the found 6th floor rifle was a Mauser?

Folks the best way to understand early 1900's to 1960 rifles is that they are like modern day high end handbags, sneakers and golf clubs....the really good designs

Has someone make Knock-Offs

Mauser's were really well designed early rifles and gun manufacturers in many other  countries made knock offs from the german mauser patent.

Actually, to me, this isn't one of the most important debate points, although Weitzman's misidentification started it. If he hadn't had blurted out "it is a Mauser" while standing next to Fritz...none of this would have happened.

If there was more than one shooter then obviously there were other guns used.

And obviously the other shooters made much better plans than Oswald to get rid of their rifles.

Allegedly Oswald's minimum wage financed shooting and escape plan was to simply stack boxes around his perch, kind of walk around a little in front of his bright mid-day sun illuminated open window holding his rifle ( where he is easily seen by Aaron Rowland and maybe others on the street below ) minutes before JFK's limo arrived and then get down on his knees and using his lower windowsill as a bracing, stick his rifle barrel out of the window and start loudly blasting away.

He makes a bullseye head shot on his 3rd shot and well...time to wrap it up. Mission accomplished.

Oswald's magnificent escape plan was simply to jump up and RUN!

Throw the rifle under some boxes, run down the stairs, stop and step into the 2nd floor lunch room to get a cold Dr. Pepper, stay a couple of minutes next to the soda machine refreshing himself after all this shooting and running, then saunter back down to the first floor lobby and out the door to catch a bus and then a cab home. ???

I post this alleged Oswald shooting and running escape plan scenario fairly often because it is so improbable in it's lowest budget simplicity and success...it's absurd. It's not credible.

Mausers, Carcanos? 

Weitzman shouldn't have blabbed out "Mauser" if he wasn't sure.

And Roger Craig never lied about Weitzman's rifle ID proclamations.

He had the quotes right.

Edited by Joe Bauer

16 hours ago, Paul Cummings said:

I'm puzzled you're adamant that photos show it to be a carcano when even the authorities allegedly couldn't determine what type of gun it was until much later? I don't see anything your video (other than verbal) that confirms that rifle is a carcano. You can tell from this video it's a carcano? How many people got a good look at the rifle after it was taken out of the TSBD? According to Lt. Day he took back to the office and went back to the TSBD and returned to around 3PM. 

I don’t know how many people got a very good look at it. I was not there. The authorities were a mix bag of knowledgeable and professional people, idiots, know-everything but knew little, people who didn’t care, etc. Carcano was not stamped on the rifle. Not sure how well known Carcano was known then.