The Education Forum

SEPTEMBER FORUM FUNDING CONTRIBUTION ONLY

It's now up to $7224.04.

I thought I would donate $10 or 15.00 to help give us a cushion of 2-3 months to work out the details.  This is no one's job, so no one should feel rushed to work out those details.  As requested, I stuck to the minimum as this is intended to ascertain who might donate in the future, not, possibly how much an individual might.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James, thank you for clarifying that for me and all others commenting/contributing.  It's something we all need to understand going forward.  Thank you also for not just abandoning the site in frustration.  I have faith that a long-term solution can be found.  It's not that great of a financial amount spread between willing contributors to overcome imho.  But I'm not in your shoes.  

Looking at our donations - as they are at present - members have raised $162:60. Today 13 members have donated.  The average sum donated is either $5 or $10. One, very generous member, donated $100.  

Aside from that very generous donation, we would only have raised $62.60.

It is early days - a week has not yet gone by since members agreed to make donations. We have sufficient funds to make September’s payment and with the residue it will probability  allow us to make October’s payment.

The point that is worrying me is how many more members will be donating. In addition - but for that very generous donation - we would not have sufficient funds to even make September’s payment.

There is a lot to be positive about, but there is also concern whether we can raise $840 to complete a years donations. Can we be sure we have sufficient membership to raise that kind of sum or might it require repeated donations from members in order to raise that figure?

James.

4 minutes ago, Kathy Beckett said:

That may be because 5.00 is the cap so we can see where we are, member wise. Don't count those outside the Forum, who have contributed as well.

👍                 

I have just added my bit. I guess James would wish to be relieved from the administering the payments and this should be respected. I  guess we would not be short of funds if annual calls for donations would be issued when a dedicated EF account runs below a certain threshold, e.g., three monthly payments.

Right Chris.🖐️

Happy to add my 5...

I agree that communicating needs and where the forum stands is helpful so that we can all move forward together...

Edited by Pamela Brown

Before this topic slides off of the front page. . .  As I understand it we are still testing to see how many members would contribute at least but only $5, maybe more afterwards towards the continued existence of the forum.  This is to run through next Thursday, August 11.  At which point James will tell us how many and a total did so with maybe/hopefully his thoughts at that point.

I passed my basic Batchelor degree math classes with a B and C, so I'm no math whiz.  But I tried to do a little analysis on what I understand thus far.

Based on James and Kathy's comments yesterday and the total (all time) current figure on the donation page this is an approximation of where we May be thus far and some possible implications.  First, I believe enough has been raised to cover both September and October.  If so, we have a little time to work through the details but some consensus and decisions need to be made in the not-too-distant future.

About $325 has been raised, I think.  Taking out the Very Generous $100 contributor for the sake of the analysis that's $225.  As there were a few $10 donors let's say a $6 average among the donors of the $225.  That's 38 donors.

Using the $120 a month figure for the potentially needed bandwidth, that's $1440.  Rounding down to say 35 members that's an average of $41 a year per contributing member.   I'm already in for the $5 a month plan, or $60 a year.  If more well-funded generous contributors choose to contribute more at a later date, as well as those who choose to just observe the forum, thank you.    

Edited by Ron Bulman

Ron,

Though I am in danger of irritating Chris, that is a fairly good descriptio of the current situation.

Your comment on the number of donors is a comment worth highlighting as indeed is the idea of repetative donations.

If - and I do not say it will happen - we breach the current bandwidth and are placed by Invision into the $120 bandwidth then we are in a different ball game. Looking - tonight - at the broadband chart Invision provide we are much safer and are now no longer in danger of being bumped up.

James

James, please don't worry about irritating Chris.  I think he's trying to help.  Your still administrator of the site.  Please say what you hope might happen.

Ron,

I have agreed to keep to myself the findings of the donations to date. I have agreed I will make that public on Thursday.

Your gestimate about the sum collected so far is in the right neck of the woods. You astutely commented on the on the impact of the $100 donations. They do impact on the total so far.

Again you highlight the issue of the number of members donating. That is my overriding concern. In 2019 [ the year of the last major donation drive ] we had a much larger active membership. The August 2022 active membership is much reduced and that has an impact on the total of monies that can be raised and what is needed from the present membership to raise the requirement not just for the coming year - but for every year after that.

That - in my mind Ron - was your most astute and troubling current issue raised.

James.