The Education Forum

20 minutes ago, Joseph McBride said:

Podcasts are a great way to have a lengthy

serious discussion about the case. Robbie

Robertson is one of the good podcast hosts.

Yeah, really liked the one I watched with you the other day. You and Jim are great interviews. Very interesting.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim has these really cool headphones 🎧 with the dancing disco lights on them… as the daylight gave way to twilight, there wasn’t enough light on Jim and all we could see were the flashing multicolored lights on his headset lol. Was kinda cool, even if the lighting wasn’t so good for a short while! 

(fortunately Jim did switch on an extra lamp later on so y’all could see him!) 😆 

8 minutes ago, Lori Spencer said:

Jim has these really cool headphones 🎧 with the dancing disco lights on them… as the daylight gave way to twilight, there wasn’t enough light on Jim and all we could see were the flashing multicolored lights on his headset lol. Was kinda cool, even if the lighting wasn’t so good for a short while! 

(fortunately Jim did switch on an extra lamp later on so y’all could see him!) 😆 

Disco? Hmmmm... New nick for JD? Disco Jim? Hard to take him seriously hahaha

3 hours ago, Bob Ness said:

Yeah, really liked the one I watched with you the other day. You and Jim are great interviews. Very interesting.

Agree.

With JM you sometimes also get to hear fascinating background stories of film history and major figures in that milieu.

Being an old Brit, I just love these U.S. history lessons!  By coincidence, on this 60th anniversary of the CMC, I have re-read RFK's '13 Days'.  Although I was just a 10yo kid, I have vivid memories of this world crisis.

I know that statement was from LeMay "You're in a pretty bad fix Mr President."  I noticed in RFK's book that he attributed that statement to Gen. Shoup.

2 hours ago, Pete Mellor said:

Being an old Brit, I just love these U.S. history lessons!  By coincidence, on this 60th anniversary of the CMC, I have re-read RFK's '13 Days'.  Although I was just a 10yo kid, I have vivid memories of this world crisis.

I know that statement was from LeMay "You're in a pretty bad fix Mr President."  I noticed in RFK's book that he attributed that statement to Gen. Shoup.

JFK's retort, You're in it with me, would have applied to all of them.

The British researcher that Jim D could not recall is Russell Kent who is to speak in Dallas at the CAPA conference, he spoke last year about the HSCA Forensic Pathology Panel, will be speaking about the Clark Panel.

His recent publication, which is a great read, is 'JFK Medical Betrayal-Where the Evidence Lies'.

Edited by Pete Mellor

On 11/11/2022 at 1:58 AM, Ron Bulman said:

JFK's retort, You're in it with me, would have applied to all of them.

Absolutely!  Something I had not come across previously I have just read in Tom O'Neill's book 'Chaos',

"General Curtis E. LeMay, a legendary fighter pilot who'd implemented the carpet bombing of Japan during World War II.  A notorious hawk.  LeMay had served as chief of staff of the U.S. Air Force under Presidents Kennedy and Johnson.  In 1962, during the Cuban Missile Crisis, he'd tried to organise a coup against Kennedy among the Joint Chiefs of Staff, he wanted to force the military to flout the president's orders and bomb the Soviet missile bases they'd found in Cuba."

Is that what LeMay was thinking when he told JFK that he was in hell of a fix?

No Note in the book as to where O'Neill obtained the quote about the coup, but it fits the cigar smoking freak in the Bethesda morgue.

I think Peter, that this is what RFK was thinking when we went to meet with Dobrynin.

I think I mentioned it: RFK agreed to the deal, but said the Turkish missiles would have to come out later. JFK had thought they were gone already.

But he added, he did not know how much longer his brother could stop the attempt to override him by the Pentagon and the political hawks. LBJ had come out very strongly as saying he was against all that was being given to the Soviets.  Even McNamara was backtracking. And Russell and Fulbright, who were against Vietnam, also thought Kennedy was being too dovish.

That exchange about a threatened overthrow, did not make it into RFK's book, but it  made it into the Russian cables.

The next day Nikita took the offer.  Smart guy.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:25 PM, James DiEugenio said:

I think Peter, that this is what RFK was thinking when we went to meet with Dobrynin.

I think I mentioned it: RFK agreed to the deal, but said the Turkish missiles would have to come out later. JFK had thought they were gone already.

But he added, he did not know how much longer his brother could stop the attempt to override him by the Pentagon and the political hawks. LBJ had come out very strongly as saying he was against all that was being given to the Soviets.  Even McNamara was backtracking. And Russell and Fulbright, who were against Vietnam, also thought Kennedy was being too dovish.

That exchange about a threatened overthrow, did not make it into RFK's book, but it made it into the Russian cables.

The next day Nikita took the offer.  Smart guy.

Cheers James, & really enjoyed the podcast with Lori.

On 11/12/2022 at 6:43 PM, Pete Mellor said:

In 1962, during the Cuban Missile Crisis, he'd tried to organise a coup against Kennedy among the Joint Chiefs of Staff, he wanted to force the military to flout the president's orders and bomb the Soviet missile bases they'd found in Cuba."

I don't know where Tom O'Neill got the above quote from in his book 'Chaos'.  Have you come across this before, that LeMay tried to organise a coup among the Joint Chiefs to flout JFK's orders?  I know he was in favour of bombing the missile sites and invading Cuba, but I have never heard of him actually organising a coup with military chiefs!  Add this to JFK's plans to withdraw from Vietnam, the limited test ban treaty, the peace speech, moves toward detente with Soviets and Cuba, and Dallas becomes inevitable. 

No I have not seen that. 

Its true he thought what JFK was doing was giving in to the communists, but I have not seen any evidence he was actually organizing a coup.

I think what Bobby was talking about was that if the thing was not resolved, such a thing could happen. Because by this time, it was pretty much JFK and his brother alone.

Edited by James DiEugenio