The Education Forum

John J. McCloy and Germany's Nazis

Readers of the EF-JFKA know the name of John J. McCloy as one of the seven members of the Warren Commission.

Recently, due to the excellent doc-hunting skills and contextual knowledge of R. Montenegro,  many of us have had our eyes opened up to a phalanx of Nazis that became embedded into the CIA in the postwar era. This was part of the postwar Cold War effort to counteract the Soviet Union (other, less-friendly interpretations are welcome). 

Which brings us back to McCloy: 

"On September 2, 1949, McCloy replaced the previous five successive military governors for the US Zone in Germany as the first US High Commissioner for Germany and held the position until August 1, 1952. "

From the Harvard Crimson of 40 years ago we learn that McCloy was instrumental---that is, he decided---to set Nazi war criminals free

"While McCloy's guilt--if any--concerning the Auschwitz decision (to not bomb the facility) remains in doubt, (Martin) Peretz and (Alan) Brinkley agree that he was totally responsible for the decision after the war to commute the sentences of 21 prisoners who had been sentenced to death at the Nuremberg trails. That decision came in 1951, when McCloy had held for two years the post of American high commissioner in occupied Germany.

As high commissioner, McCloy--whatever the outside pressure--had ultimate responsibility for the decision to commute the sentences, argue Brinkley and Peretz Still, they point out, that outside pressure was great.

Calling the commuting the issue for which McCloy was "most culpable." Brinkley explains that the onset of the Cold War put pressure on members of the Western alliance to normalize relations with Germany as soon as possible. The review of the Nuremberg sentences was viewed by many observers as a symbol of the easing of the postwar occupation, he adds.

Perhaps some of the outrage directed to McCloy on this matter can be attributed to his controversial decision to order the unconditional release of Alfred Krupp, the armaments magnate. Krupp had originally been convicted for employing slave labor from the concentration camps in his family's munitions factories during the war. McCloy received a barrage of criticism back home for freeing this man who for many was a living symbol of the Nazi nightmare. This is a point consistently raised by students protesting the scholarship naming. McCloy, Brinkley says, simply saw the commuting of Krupp's sentence as a symbolic, friendly gesture to German industry."

---30---

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1983/4/30/honorable-or-criminal-pwhen-the-kennedy/

Really. You can't make this stuff up. 

Why McCloy was appointed to the Warren Commission is an interesting question. 

Was there something about Nazis going on? 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Why McCloy was appointed to the Warren Commission is an interesting question. 

Was there something about Nazis going on? 

No, Ben, at root, it was the question of empire:

Two views on Pax Americana:

JOHN J. McCLOY, letter to fellow Philadelphian George Wharton Pepper: "In the light of what has happened, I would take a chance on this country using its strength tyrannously…We need, if you will, a Pax Americana," (Kai Bird. The Chairman: John J. McCloy: The Making of the American Establishment (NY: Simon & Schuster, 1992), p.661) 

JOHN F. KENNEDY, speech delivered at the American University in Washington, June 10th, 1963: "What kind of peace do I mean and what kind of peace do we seek? NOT a Pax Americana enforced on the world by weapons of war…"

1 hour ago, Paul Rigby said:

Two views on Pax Americana:

JOHN J. McCLOY, letter to fellow Philadelphian George Wharton Pepper: "In the light of what has happened, I would take a chance on this country using its strength tyrannously…We need, if you will, a Pax Americana," (Kai Bird. The Chairman: John J. McCloy: The Making of the American Establishment (NY: Simon & Schuster, 1992), p.661) 

JOHN F. KENNEDY, speech delivered at the American University in Washington, June 10th, 1963: "What kind of peace do I mean and what kind of peace do we seek? NOT a Pax Americana enforced on the world by weapons of war…"

Well, yes. In a way that is the point of R. Montenegro's extraordinary work and my post here on McCloy. 

The US foreign, military and trade policy establishment wanted multinationals to have access to (or control over) all markets, resources and cheap labor pools, anywhere on the globe.

If the CIA could use Nazis towards that end, then they (and the US establishment) did. Krupp included, but also rank blackguards. 

The question for EF-JFKA...could Nazified elements within the CIA have perped the EF-JFKA?

I do not rule out the JFKA was a much smaller plot, possibly even just two Cuban exiles (CIA assets, however) from Miami, who met with and fooled LHO in Dallas.

1 hour ago, Paul Rigby said:

@Benjamin Cole   I'd highly recommend this book for a glimpse into what helped shape events over the past 100 years...  It is written by friendlies so we do not see an indictment of their actions but a celebration...  they are not placed in the worst of light but the best...  FWIW

https://www.amazon.com/Wise-Men-Friends-World-They/dp/1476728828

The Wise Men shares the stories of Averell Harriman, the freewheeling diplomat and Roosevelt’s special envoy to Churchill and Stalin; Dean Acheson, the secretary of state who was more responsible for the Truman Doctrine than Truman and for the Marshall Plan than General Marshall; George Kennan, self-cast outsider and intellectual darling of the Washington elite; Robert Lovett, assistant secretary of war, undersecretary of state, and secretary of defense throughout the formative years of the Cold War; John McCloy, one of the nation’s most influential private citizens; and Charles Bohlen, adroit diplomat and ambassador to the Soviet Union.

PAX Americana

Ben - Nazi's: the enemy of my enemy is my friend.  And these were the most brutal and organized "Commie-fighters" on the planet.

image.jpeg.5162d5b8d34394fb1355696d0f0c16fc.jpeg

3 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

"While McCloy's guilt--if any--concerning the Auschwitz decision (to not bomb the facility) remains in doubt, . . ."

This brings us to the issue of FDR's disgraceful performance regarding the Jews and the Holocaust during World War II. A few diehard FDR apologists have actually tried to pretend that FDR and his administration acted nobly in this regard, but the record is clear that FDR and most of those under him showed a callous disregard for the plight of European Jews, and what few limited actions he did take were only done under intense pressure after he had stalled as long as he dared.

Amazon.com: The Abandonment of the Jews: America and the Holocaust 1941-1945 eBook : Wyman, David S.: Kindle Store

Amazon.com: FDR and The Holocaust: A Breach of Faith eBook : Medoff, Rafael: Kindle Store

Amazon.com: America's Soul In the Balance 2nd Edition: The Holocaust, FDR’s State Department, and the Moral Disgrace of an American Aristocracy eBook : Wallance, Gregory J.: Kindle Store

The Jews Should Keep Quiet: Franklin D. Roosevelt, Rabbi Stephen S. Wise, and the Holocaust: Medoff, Rafael: 9780827615199: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: Barred! (Living History of the Holocaust) eBook : Steinhouse, Carl L. : Kindle Store

Of course we could and should have bombed Auschwitz (i.e., the rail lines leading to the camp and the SS barracks less than 2 miles from the camp). We bombed military facilities that were very close to Auschwitz, and Auschwitz survivors recalled seeing Allied airplanes and hearing nearby air-raid sirens, refuting the lie floated then and later by FDR apologists that it was unfeasible to bomb the death camp. 

Edited by Michael Griffith

3 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

This brings us to the issue of FDR's disgraceful performance regarding the Jews and the Holocaust during World War II. A few diehard FDR apologists have actually tried to pretend that FDR and his administration acted nobly in this regard, but the record is clear that FDR and most of those under him showed a callous disregard for the plight of European Jews, and what few limited actions he did take were only done under intense pressure after he had stalled as long as he dared.

Amazon.com: The Abandonment of the Jews: America and the Holocaust 1941-1945 eBook : Wyman, David S.: Kindle Store

Amazon.com: FDR and The Holocaust: A Breach of Faith eBook : Medoff, Rafael: Kindle Store

Amazon.com: America's Soul In the Balance 2nd Edition: The Holocaust, FDR’s State Department, and the Moral Disgrace of an American Aristocracy eBook : Wallance, Gregory J.: Kindle Store

The Jews Should Keep Quiet: Franklin D. Roosevelt, Rabbi Stephen S. Wise, and the Holocaust: Medoff, Rafael: 9780827615199: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: Barred! (Living History of the Holocaust) eBook : Steinhouse, Carl L. : Kindle Store

Of course we could and should have bombed Auschwitz (i.e., the rail lines leading to the camp and the SS barracks less than 2 miles from the camp). We bombed military facilities that were very close to Auschwitz, and Auschwitz survivors recalled seeing Allied airplanes and hearing nearby air-raid sirens, refuting the lie floated then and later by FDR apologists that it was unfeasible to bomb the death camp. 

Point well-made. 

https://www.amazon.com/IBM-Holocaust-Strategic-Alliance-Corporation/dp/0914153277

Not sure how many of you are aware of this:

IBM and the Holocaust is the award-winning, New York Times bestselling shocker--a million copies in print--detailing IBM's conscious co-planning and co-organizing of the Holocaust for the Nazis, all micromanaged by its president Thomas J Watson from New York and Paris. ..... Edwin Black's monumental research exposes how IBM and its subsidiaries helped create enabling technologies for the Nazis, step-by-step, from the identification and cataloging programs of the 1930s to the selections of the 1940s.

"it's not personal, it's only business"

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/ibm-and-quot-death-s-calculator-quot-2

hollerith.jpg

Black not only did the report on the Chicago Plot but the above book is a real milestone in the field.

Ken burns did a pretty good job of covering FDR’s lack of action to protect European Jewry in his pbs series America and the Holocaust 

Edited by Paul Brancato

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

Ken burns did a pretty good job of covering FDR’s lack of action to protect European Jewry in his pbs series America and the Holocaust 

I didn't know much regards this area of our history.

As I have learned in the last ten years regards the tormented Jews in Europe and our reluctance to commit more in saving them, I feel it was a great injustice on our part.

Did we really turn away a passenger liner full of Jewish persecution victims seeking refuge here?

If so...that is an outrage.

In the well known telephone call between LBJ and Hoover where LBJ runs the names of the suggested Warren Commission members by Hoover and Hoover rubber stamps them ( especially Gerald Ford ) who picked out these men and presented the list to LBJ?

I'd have surely liked to have asked that person to explain why he would include a JFK hater like Dulles, a Dulles compatriot like McCloy, an FBI informant like Ford, and all the rest.

Warren didn't want the job...so why force him to be on it let alone name it after him? Russell didn't want to be on it.

LBJ to Russell - Well you're going to damn well serve on it.

Just the choice of chosen members alone made the WC suspect in so many ways.

42 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

I didn't know much regards this area of our history.

As I have learned in the last ten years regards the tormented Jews in Europe and our reluctance to commit more in saving them, I feel it was a great injustice on our part.

Did we really turn away a passenger liner full of Jewish persecution victims seeking refuge here?

If so...that is an outrage.

In the well known telephone call between LBJ and Hoover where LBJ runs the names of the suggested Warren Commission members by Hoover and Hoover rubber stamps them ( especially Gerald Ford ) who picked out these men and presented the list to LBJ?

I'd have surely liked to have asked that person to explain why he would include a JFK hater like Dulles, a Dulles compatriot like McCloy, an FBI informant like Ford, and all the rest.

Warren didn't want the job...so why force him to be on it let alone name it after him? Russell didn't want to be on it.

LBJ to Russell - Well you're going to damn well serve on it.

Just the choice of chosen members alone made the WC suspect in so many ways.

Here's the audio to the LBJ Russell encounter https://rumble.com/v2h0we0-lbj-puts-richard-russell-on-the-warren-commission-without-asking-him.html

Here is a part of that history you probably haven't heard about.  Edwin Black who broke the story of the Chicago Plot is Jewish and his parents were in camps during WWII. He published a book that in the 80's was very controversial but is now excepted history about the Transfer Agreement between Hitler and Zionists in Germany. The cliff notes is that The World Jewish Organization made a secret agreement with Hitler which was encouraged by Henry Ford which called off their boycott of Nazi Germany on grounds of being anti Semitic in exchange for Hitler funding the Transfer of upper society Zionist German jews to settle in Palestine, which was occupied by England after WWI. The debate is whether the boycott could have prevented Nazi Germany from gaining the momentum that allowed it to turn into what it did. Sorta like a deal with the devil. 

Such a sad part of human history, and of US history.

But back to the question...was McCloy on the WC to (among other tasks) limit any investigations or reports that might publicly uncover Nazified elements within the JFKA? 

Such as telling staff, "You know, yes the CIA recruited Nazis under dire Cold War necessities, and their names may pop up in your investigations, but for the sake of the nation, keep that low profile." 

"The Russians might make hay with that," etc.?

BTW, the Russians loathed, detested and reviled Nazis. Russia lost 10% of its total population in WWII, mostly due to a Nazi invasion of Russia. 

6 hours ago, David Josephs said:

https://www.amazon.com/IBM-Holocaust-Strategic-Alliance-Corporation/dp/0914153277

Not sure how many of you are aware of this:

IBM and the Holocaust is the award-winning, New York Times bestselling shocker--a million copies in print--detailing IBM's conscious co-planning and co-organizing of the Holocaust for the Nazis, all micromanaged by its president Thomas J Watson from New York and Paris. ..... Edwin Black's monumental research exposes how IBM and its subsidiaries helped create enabling technologies for the Nazis, step-by-step, from the identification and cataloging programs of the 1930s to the selections of the 1940s.

"it's not personal, it's only business"

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/ibm-and-quot-death-s-calculator-quot-2

hollerith.jpg

I'm trying to remember where I first read of this several years ago.  It almost had to be a JFKA related book, I thought maybe Devil's Chessboard but no (I looked).  I remember being shocked, my mom earned her part of our income on an IBM Selectric for many years.  Developing the punch card system to sort Jews, many if not most to death camps.

I never knew Black wrote a book on it.  I knew he was a journalist, I remember the Chicago plot article Jim mentioned.  Never knew about this or his other books.  

57 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

I'm trying to remember where I first read of this several years ago.  It almost had to be a JFKA related book, I thought maybe Devil's Chessboard but no (I looked).  I remember being shocked, my mom earned her part of our income on an IBM Selectric for many years.  Developing the punch card system to sort Jews, many if not most to death camps.

I never knew Black wrote a book on it.  I knew he was a journalist, I remember the Chicago plot article Jim mentioned.  Never knew about this or his other books.  

There is also a sad chapter regarding GM's operation in Germany, the Opel plant. 

And...

in modern-day China, there are concentration camps in what used to be Tibet, annexed by the Beijing-CCP in the post-war period.

The CCP is Han-ifying Tibet,, some say a genocide is going on. Indisputably, there are concentration camps in Tibet. 

The CCP has also thrown Hong Kong publisher Jimmy Lai into prison, for being a pro-democracy publisher. 

The cream of multi-nationals---Apple, GM, Microsoft, Disney NBC-Universal, WalMart, BlackRock, JP Morgan, Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, Tesla, you name it ---are deep into bed with the CCP. 

For some reason, it is not PC to talk about China in certain US political circles.