The Education Forum

Happy Birthday Willie

I know, it belongs in the water cooler.  I'll move it in a day or two.  Nothing is happening here so I thought I might hijack the forum.  It's not political.  91 years old and all that weed still hasn't got him.  Going on tour with Bob Dylan among others this summer.

I wonder, has anyone ever asked Willie where he was when he heard JFK was shot?  He would have been 30, his thoughts on it?

Never knew he has two birthdays.  It's like a 4/20 three for.  A U S treasure, a musical poet for us all.

Willie Nelson Celebrates Two Different Birthdays Each Year — Here's When and Why (msn.com)

Called it!

US drug control agency will move to reclassify marijuana in a historic shift, AP sources say

https://apnews.com/article/marijuana-biden-dea-criminal-justice-pot-f833a8dae6ceb31a8658a5d65832a3b8

On the Jesse Ventura as VP-USA? The JFK Records Act? thread on March 16 I wrote:

"A prediction:  on April 20, 2024, the DEA will reschedule cannabis from Schedule I to 3 and the Prez race will be in the bag for Biden."

This thread is the appropriate place for this, yo...

"

Willie Nelson had a ranch here in Utah when I was younger, located between my mothers hometown of Fairview and Birdseye (populations 1200 and ~50 respectively).

I understand that the IRS confiscated the ranch back in the 1990 to satisfy a tax debt. It is currently for sale for $666,000 if anybody is interested.

2 hours ago, Denny Zartman said:

Sure, Willie is great, but you guys really need to check out some of the newer, younger artists out there.

Geez... Mick is looking haggard.  Keith Richards looks indestructible.

So many of these octogenarian rock 'n roll icons are going to be passing away before long-- Dylan, Mick, Paul McCartney, Ringo, et.al.-- but Keith Richards may survive the Apocalypse.

Meanwhile, here's a Willie Nelson story from Colorado.

I was playing golf a few years ago up at the Evergreen Municipal Golf Course, (in the foothills west of Denver) with two local Boomers who had lived in Evergreen for decades.

They told me that Willie Nelson used to have a house in Evergreen, and he used to host an annual charity golf tournament on the municipal Evergreen course, with topless waitresses serving drinks at the greens. 

It's a golf course where tee shots often roll laterally, downhill, across some of the fairways, and you have to play through herds of elk.

There's also a hole where you have to hit your tee shot 110 yards over a massive boulder without being able to see the green.  (There's an arrow on the boulder with a sign that says, "Aim Here.")  After you finish putting, you ring a bell by the green, so the guys behind you know they can tee off.

Below: Evergreen Golf Course

4fce3371089c93b21ef81ba5afc77ae1.jpg

Edited by W. Niederhut

"Smoking marihuana is more fun than drinking beer,
But a friend of ours was captured and they gave him thirty years
Maybe we should raise our voices, ask somebody why
But demonstrations are a drag, besides we're much too high"

Phil Ochs

Outside of a small circle of friends.

Hmmm, Looks like old Joe has still got a few teeth left in his head. He figures maybe he can pacify those students who are trying to appeal to his humanitarian instincts.

......  ok, forget I said that.

1 hour ago, Cliff Varnell said:

I laughed the first time I heard this, again maybe harder the first time I saw the video, it still makes me chuckle.  It's from a great album, the last one Merle Haggard participated in.

Amazon.com: Django and Jimmie: CDs & Vinyl

6 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Willie Nelson had a ranch here in Utah when I was younger, located between my mothers hometown of Fairview and Birdseye (populations 1200 and ~50 respectively).

I understand that the IRS confiscated the ranch back in the 1990 to satisfy a tax debt. It is currently for sale for $666,000 if anybody is interested.

Willie and the IRS is an interesting story.  He invested in a tax shelter through Price Waterhouse in 1984.  In 1990 the IRS denied his 1984 $6,000,000 exemption plus penalties and interest, $16,000,000.  They came after him.

Took his Perdernales river home/recording studio/golf course, instruments, mementos, gold records.  No one would bid on them.  The studio/golf course went for $200,000 to a fan of Farm Aid who sold it back to him at cost.  Worth many millions today. 

The Evergreen Colorado property W mentions did go for 600 K.  As this article mentions Willie eventually paid off the IRS.  In part with an album.

30 Years Ago: IRS Tries to Sell Willie Nelson’s Memories, & Fails - Saving Country Music