The Education Forum

A Lie Too Big To Fail by Lisa Pease

Micah Mileto

Jim/Andrew

I think there are links to Harold Meltzer (Cohen's enforcer) and drug running in Mexico and Cuba.  I'm no expert on the mob, but it seems those connections have been established.  There is a September EF thread about Ruby in which Chris Newton offers the following opinion:

I think Jack "Sparky" Rubenstein was Mickey Cohen's guy in Dallas. That may be partially born out by his interest in Mickey Cohen's girl, Candy Barr. In 1963 Mickey was just starting his 2nd year at Alcatraz and Candy had just gotten out on parole. Mickey had previously worked for Capone in Chicago and in the 50's-60's was affiliated with Bugsy Siegal in LA and Las Vegas.

Also, in Douglas Valentine's "Strength of the Wolf", he mentions Bugsy Siegel and his associate Virginia Hill, and their role in importing heroin from Mexico and Cuba ... from her bar in Nuevo Laredo (Mexico) to Happy Meltzer who was living in Laredo Texas.    

Gene

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

I am aware of that Andrew.

What I am saying is how was Cohen a part of the whole Caribbean aspect?

Just a question/comment. I would certainly to defer to your expertise.

Gene:

I have never come across anything that says Ruby was Cohen's guy in Dallas. In fact, its really hard to figure who ran Ruby in Dallas.  Or if he was more like a wannabe. Salerno, the HSCA expert, thought that was really what he was.

Ruby, quite naturally wanted Candy Barr at his club.  Which is why he was being nice to her and brought her a couple of dogs.

Candy Barr and Cohen only went together for a couple of months as far as I can tell.

Edited by James DiEugenio

https://www.maryferrell.org/wiki/images/f/f2/Photo_rfk_grex36_0460.jpg

IN ADDITION TO THE FOUR “BULLET HOLES” IN THE FBI’S PHOTO captions already accounted for, a statement in the description of photograph E1 suggests what would be a 14th bullet:

“The portion of the panel missing also reportedly contained a bullet.” The “portion of the panel missing” appears to refer to the paneling shown in the bottom left corner of Figure 11 that had been attached to the leftmost or southernmost door post, which had been pried off after the shooting, likely by the Sheriff’s deputies, who were the first on the scene, presumably so they could dig bullets out of the posts behind the paneling. The pantry footage appears to show this 14th bullet still in the 4×¾” molding. The hand in the pantry footage pauses at the dark spot in the paneling above the two holes that line up with the holes in the post as if to indicate something important. There is no corresponding hole in the door post like there is for the two holes below this dark spot. That the molding was still present indicates the pantry film was taken before the FBI made its photos, because the doorframe molding pieces had been removed by the time the FBI photographed the pantry. It’s also possible that “the portion of the panel missing” refers to the wall covering, a portion of which had been inexplicably cut away. This is visible in the full “E-1” FBI photo (not shown here).

Pease, Lisa. A Lie Too Big to Fail (p. 265). Feral House. Kindle Edition.

Edited by Micah Mileto

I knew Monroe's publicist, Rupert Allan. He was a sophisticated

man who also represented Princess Grace and many other important

figures in the world of show business, including European filmmakers. When I asked him what he knew

about her death, he told me a story I have never seen printed anywhere. He said

that when she was in the New York hospital with her "miscarriage" during her pregnancy

by Arthur Miller, she was suicidal and thinking of jumping out of a window

in her hospital room on the eighth floor.  She looked down and saw a woman

in a green dress waiting at a bus stop. She thought if she jumped she might

land on the woman and kill her, so she changed her mind. For what it is worth, Rupert did not think

Marilyn was murdered. He thinks she accidentally ingested too many pills mixed

with booze. He said she liked to have a lot of small bottles of Champagne around

her bedroom and would guzzle them and lose track of what she was doing. He said

he thought that happened that night. He said she had told him she was upset

because she had been called and invited to a party at Peter Lawford's beach house.

She learned in the call that a couple of prostitutes would also be coming. She felt

she was being regarded as in the same category as those prostitutes, which greatly bothered her. So Rupert

thought she was distraught but did not consciously kill herself. I don't doubt his

veracity about her mental state and what she told him (I knew him well), but the pills were not found in her stomach

by Dr. Noguchi in the autopsy, which casts doubt on Rupert's theory of her death. She had mental problems (George Cukor thought she was mad) and engaged in risky behavior but was also mistreated by various men and her studio. I think there is ample evidence of other activity going on around Marilyn that week and on the fatal night that could add lethal details

to the story. Some details remain murky.

7 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

I knew Monroe's publicist, Rupert Allan. He was a sophisticated

man who also represented Princess Grace and many other important

figures in the world of show business, including European filmmakers. When I asked him what he knew

about her death, he told me a story I have never seen printed anywhere. He said

that when she was in the New York hospital with her "miscarriage" during her pregnancy

by Arthur Miller, she was suicidal and thinking of jumping out of a window

in her hospital room on the eighth floor.  She looked down and saw a woman

in a green dress waiting at a bus stop. She thought if she jumped she might

land on the woman and kill her, so she changed her mind. For what it is worth, Rupert did not think

Marilyn was murdered. He thinks she accidentally ingested too many pills mixed

with booze. He said she liked to have a lot of small bottles of Champagne around

her bedroom and would guzzle them and lose track of what she was doing. He said

he thought that happened that night. He said she had told him she was upset

because she had been called and invited to a party at Peter Lawford's beach house.

She learned in the call that a couple of prostitutes would also be coming. She felt

she was being regarded as in the same category as those prostitutes, which greatly bothered her. So Rupert

thought she was distraught but did not consciously kill herself. I don't doubt his

veracity about her mental state and what she told him (I knew him well), but the pills were not found in her stomach

by Dr. Noguchi in the autopsy, which casts doubt on Rupert's theory of her death. She had mental problems (George Cukor thought she was mad) and engaged in risky behavior but was also mistreated by various men and her studio. I think there is ample evidence of other activity going on around Marilyn that week and on the fatal night that could add lethal details

to the story. Some details remain murky.

Some understatements.

Regards Marilyn Monroe's mental state.

She experienced severe psychological and sexual abuse trauma starting in early childhood and through her adolescent years.  Now-a-days they would call what she went through sexual assault/rape.

With accompanying hugely dysfunctional early life familial situations to boot, her mental development equated into extreme emotional trauma and the psychological insecurity that comes with PTSD.

Her long term adult life sexual abuse ( whether off and on or not ) at the hands of bad character power people in show business and organised crime was just a continuation of her childhood abuse and trauma.

Monroe wasn't mad.  She was severely PTSD broken, from a very early age.

Amazing that she was able to keep it together as long as she did ( not harming or killing herself )  imo.

Edited by Joe Bauer

• 2 weeks later...

After recent reading on a couple of other threads I don't think Maheu's role in the background of RFK's assassination is emphasized enough.  He leads to the CIA, which some believe was involved in the JFK Assassination.  I mean in this thread, Lisa has about a dozen quite interesting pages on him in the book.

Edited by Ron Bulman

David Talbot also wrote at length about him in The Devil's Chessboard,  and how Dulles used him as a cut out for wet jobs for the Agency.

Edited by James DiEugenio

21 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

David Talbot also wrote at length about him in The Devil's Chessboard,  and how Dulles used him as a cut out for wet jobs for the Agency.

Thanks for reminding me of this.  I read the book when it came out but had forgotten about Maheu being in it.  He claimed to have met Dulles once, by accident.  That's hard to believe.  Talbot also tells us that when Maheu left the CIA in 1954 to form Robert Maheu and Associates his biggest client was the CIA who kept them on a $500 a month retainer.  That's $4600 a month today.  Plus expenses I'd guess.

I did remember reading about Professor Galindez of Columbia University being kidnapped for Trujillo in 1956 to never be heard from again.  But not as Talbot tells us "it was a sophisticated operation by Robert Maheu and Associates, used as a cutout by the CIA to take care of business illegally on US soil."  What likely happened to the pilot, and possibly Galindez too, was pretty gruesome sounding.

His company did go on to become the "top paid security contractor in the country".  With jobs still referred by the company.  Including busting up a oil deal between Aristotle Onassis and the Saudi Royal family that the Dulles brothers didn't want to happen.  Onassis top competitor rewarded Maheu, and associates, so handsomely the he bought a new Cadillac, new house, and installed a mew pool at it.  But he only met Dulles once, by accident. 

11 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Thanks for reminding me of this.  I read the book when it came out but had forgotten about Maheu being in it.  He claimed to have met Dulles once, by accident.  That's hard to believe.  Talbot also tells us that when Maheu left the CIA in 1954 to form Robert Maheu and Associates his biggest client was the CIA who kept them on a $500 a month retainer.  That's $4600 a month today.  Plus expenses I'd guess.

I did remember reading about Professor Galindez of Columbia University being kidnapped for Trujillo in 1956 to never be heard from again.  But not as Talbot tells us "it was a sophisticated operation by Robert Maheu and Associates, used as a cutout by the CIA to take care of business illegally on US soil."  What likely happened to the pilot, and possibly Galindez too, was pretty gruesome sounding.

His company did go on to become the "top paid security contractor in the country".  With jobs still referred by the company.  Including busting up a oil deal between Aristotle Onassis and the Saudi Royal family that the Dulles brothers didn't want to happen.  Onassis top competitor rewarded Maheu, and associates, so handsomely the he bought a new Cadillac, new house, and installed a mew pool at it.  But he only met Dulles once, by accident. 

Maheu was almost certainly working for Trujillo when he helped kidnap Galindez. In using Maheu as a cut-out, the CIA had (probably) unknowingly created a man who felt he was above the law, and WAS above the law. This came to a head when Maheu's man got caught bugging Giancana's girlfriend, to see if she was making whoopee with Dan Rowan (Of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In). In any event, after Maheu's man Balinetti got busted, Maheu played his get out of jail free card, telling one of the boldest lies one can imagine--that he was bugging Giancana's girlfriend as part of his effort to kill Castro. (Because y'know they needed to know if she'd figured out what was going on, and was telling Dan Rowan). 

A few years later, Maheu played a second card. He was being prosecuted for wire-tapping and all of  a sudden Jack Anderson was writing stories about Bobby Kennedy being behind the hits on Castro. His troubles went away--although the same cannot be said of Rosselli.

And then a few years later he played a third. 

20 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

Maheu was almost certainly working for Trujillo when he helped kidnap Galindez. In using Maheu as a cut-out, the CIA had (probably) unknowingly created a man who felt he was above the law, and WAS above the law. This came to a head when Maheu's man got caught bugging Giancana's girlfriend, to see if she was making whoopee with Dan Rowan (Of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In). In any event, after Maheu's man Balinetti got busted, Maheu played his get out of jail free card, telling one of the boldest lies one can imagine--that he was bugging Giancana's girlfriend as part of his effort to kill Castro. (Because y'know they needed to know if she'd figured out what was going on, and was telling Dan Rowan). 

A few years later, Maheu played a second card. He was being prosecuted for wire-tapping and all of  a sudden Jack Anderson was writing stories about Bobby Kennedy being behind the hits on Castro. His troubles went away--although the same cannot be said of Rosselli.

And then a few years later he played a third. 

I'd guess Trujillo had contacts at a higher level than Maheu.  Maybe they referred him to Maheu, but he wouldn't have done it without their blessing and likely assistance.

What I was trying to get at earlier but didn't really say was that if Maheu had years of experience running likely several other "sophisticated operations" on US soil as a cutout is that he was a trusted experienced one in 1968.  Out there in Vegas close to LA, with contacts there.

6 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I'd guess Trujillo had contacts at a higher level than Maheu.  Maybe they referred him to Maheu, but he wouldn't have done it without their blessing and likely assistance.

What I was trying to get at earlier but didn't really say was that if Maheu had years of experience running likely several other "sophisticated operations" on US soil as a cutout is that he was a trusted experienced one in 1968.  Out there in Vegas close to LA, with contacts there.

My point was that Maheu was playing in a league all his own. He worked for Hughes. He worked for Nixon. He worked for the CIA. But no one was calling his shots. Until Hughes signed him to an exclusive deal. And even then it wasn't so exclusive. Hughes thought Maheu was in cahoots with the mafia and ripping him off in Vegas. I suspect he was right. I mean, Maheu admitted telling the mob the CIA was behind the Castro hits. That was a total violation of their trust. The idea of a cut-out is that the person contacted to do a foul deed does not know who they are working for. But Maheu waltzed up to some of the most murderous thugs in America and told them he was working as a cut-out for the CIA (and not Hughes or any of his other clients) and that if they helped him they could use it as a get-out-of-jail free card. 

When Hoover and RFK found out that Maheu and Giancana were supposedly helping the CIA in the attempts on Castro, they were more concerned about Maheu's involvement than Giancana's. There's a reason for this. My guess is that they knew he was totally unscrupulous and behind the assassination of Galindez. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jeff Carter said:

Thanks for posting this.  It's pretty cutting, to the point, excellent.  Any idea what the public tribunal later this year is about?