The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

Happy Easter.  I miss seeing my grandkid's.  No egg hunt's here this year.

I've not gone to church since my teens though I still believe.

Many churches will go ahead with services, some with large congregations .  Why?

The virus doesn't care about religious affiliation, it likes crowds.

It seems like right now, if you want to increase your chances of meeting Jesus sooner than you hoped, go to Church. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/5/2020 at 2:16 PM, Jeff Carter said:

The author of the "Hammer and Dance" piece has posted a new analysis focussing on the virus and the USA. Grim projections. The author has a knack for clear writing, so it is a good single source to help stay on top of what the situation actually is. It includes an amazing visual representation of migration patterns of Spring Break partiers from Fort Lauderdale back to their communities three weeks ago.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-out-of-many-one-36b886af37e9

Still important.

Well Dave, at least you did not use a scene from that inflated mediocrity of a movie The Godfather this time.

But why ignore the part about the refrigerated trucks to get the dead bodies out because the morgues are clogging up.

PS I never watched that Monster film since I thought it was one of those movies where the actor won because of the make up. Sort of like Brando in The Godfather.

But I did take a very brief look at it and yes there is something in there like Joe Buck, but I don't think i would go as far as you  do.

I should add, every executive at the initial studio screening thought Midnight Cowboy was going to fail.  Which shows that William Goldman was right when he wrote in Adventures in the Screen Trade, Nobody knows anything.  During quarantine time, if you have not, read that book, it is still the best one I ever read on the film business.  At least until Oliver Stone's autobiography comes out this fall.  Or at least Part One of it.,

Edited by James DiEugenio

I've read the Goldman book, there isn't a dull moment.  There's also a book of collected interviews with Goldman that's equally rewarding.

He was a great adapter of other writers' material, not so much of his own: his draft for the adaptation of his own novel, Marathon Man, is wildly anti-cinematic, and was made better by other, uncredited hands, such as Robert Towne's.

I give him a lot of credit for maintaining historical accuracy in the film of Cornelius Ryan's book A Bridge Too Far, which is more faithful to history than one might believe.

I addressed the "refrigerated trucks" meme in my revised Dylan parody.  Thanks for making it better.

Every time Charlize goes google-eyed manic in Monster, she's stealing Voight's Joe Buck.  On the whole, I wish the picture had never been made.

Edited by David Andrews

On 4/10/2020 at 9:58 AM, W. Niederhut said:

The Denver Post just published a map of documented COVID-19 cases in Denver's neighborhoods.

My neighborhood, Washington Park, is the WORST!  (I live one block away from the park.)

My wife and I have been wearing masks on our daily walks in the park for the past week or so, but I have noticed that many pedestrians and most bicyclists out there are still not wearing masks -- especially the young people-- and the park has been unusually crowded since the local schools were closed.

We may have to start strolling on the side streets-- but even those are crowded now.

I tried wearing my mask while skating (Rollerblading) my daily 5 miles out there, but my sunglasses get fogged over quickly.  No can do.

Didn't you once mention a family cabin outside Gunnison?  It made me think Tincup in the spring might be nice if I had a place near there to shelter in place.

10 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Didn't you once mention a family cabin outside Gunnison?  It made me think Tincup in the spring might be nice if I had a place near there to shelter in place.

Tincup is where our cabin is.  Most of my childhood friends up there were from Fort Worth.  But Gunnison County is closed.  (My sister wants to know if they intend to refund our property taxes.)

Yeah, well I say "54' 40 or fight!!!.................................................................................. Oh that's right.  We didn't end up getting everything we wanted in that, did we? It would have been nice having most of British Colombia, but I suppose Texas was more accessible.

There's a lot of D. Queening going on about the lock down. (and I don't mean Dairy) Nobody wants to shut down forever. But there's so much false equivalency. It's really just another instance  of Wall Street trying to co opt Main Street just as they've co opted in part the assorted conspiracy movements. Wall Street just doesn't think their government should dole out another $1200 check.

Not that anybody's listening.
But I say Wall Street's already had their bailout. When things begin to normalize, do you really think, we'll be without an airline industry? A hotel or hospitality industry? The cruise industry going to take awhile, but when it does, we're going to assume nobody sees an opportunity and steps forward? As always, We're really mostly  bailing out big investors and speculators. Of course bailing them out would have been the Republicans only order of business if they controlled both houses. There would  be some agreement between the R's and D's,about small business, which I think they're should be and the Democrats wouldn't have had a leg to stand on for the little guy.

Unfortunately now we have no choice but to embrace Dick Cheney's words that "deficits don't matter".  But of course,as deficits skyrocket, to those who might be eyeing it in the future. It is entitlements such a Social Security that are the first on the chopping block. 
Edited by Kirk Gallaway

6 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:
Yeah, well I say "54' 40 or fight!!!.................................................................................. Oh that's right.  We didn't end up getting everything we wanted in that, did we? It would have been nice having most of British Colombia, but I suppose Texas was more accessible.

There's a lot of D. Queening going on about the lock down. (and I don't mean Dairy) Nobody wants to shut down forever. But there's so much false equivalency. It's really just another instance  of Wall Street trying to co opt Main Street just as they've co opted in part the assorted conspiracy movements. Wall Street just doesn't think their government should dole out another $1200 check.

Not that anybody's listening.
But I say Wall Street's already had their bailout. When things begin to normalize, do you really think, we'll be without an airline industry? A hotel or hospitality industry? The cruise industry going to take awhile, but when it does, we're going to assume nobody sees an opportunity and steps forward? As always, We're really mostly  bailing out big investors and speculators. Of course bailing them out would have been the Republicans only order of business if they controlled both houses. There would  be some agreement between the R's and D's,about small business, which I think they're should be and the Democrats wouldn't have had a leg to stand on for the little guy.

Unfortunately now we have no choice but to embrace Dick Cheney's words that "deficits don't matter".  But of course,as deficits skyrocket, to those who might be ey eing it in the future. It is entitlements such a Social Security that are the first on the chopping block. 

Matt Taibbi published a disturbing op-ed about this at Rolling Stone recently.

The scale of the 2020 Trump Stock Bubble bailout is enormous.   And who is going to pay for all of this asset inflation?

Bailing Out the Bailout

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/coronavirus-fed-bank-bailout-disaster-976086/

Edited by W. Niederhut

There are many people that they have not found out about because they are in nursing homes or they live alone.

33 people died of the CV 19 in Los Angeles yesterday, a peak number.

But nothing compared to NYC.