The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

The Denver Post just published a map of documented COVID-19 cases in Denver's neighborhoods.

My neighborhood, Washington Park, is the WORST!  (I live one block away from the park.)

My wife and I have been wearing masks on our daily walks in the park for the past week or so, but I have noticed that many pedestrians and most bicyclists out there are still not wearing masks -- especially the young people-- and the park has been unusually crowded since the local schools were closed.

We may have to start strolling on the side streets-- but even those are crowded now.

I tried wearing my mask while skating (Rollerblading) my daily 5 miles out there, but my sunglasses get fogged over quickly.  No can do.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

corona_meme.jpg

"According to New York City Fire Department data obtained by The Daily Beast, EMTs  have reported 2,192 “dead-on-arrival” calls over the last two weeks. On average, the department handled about 453 of those calls over the same period last year. That data also showed that the number of cardiac or respiratory arrest calls has exploded, from 20 to 30 a day at the end of March and the beginning of April in 2019, to 322 on one day in April in 2020—with more than 100 calls every day since March 28. While 30 to 50 percent of those calls ended in a death in 2019, more than 50 percent of those calls have ended in a death every day since March 22 this year, with the percentage steadily rising to 75 percent as of April 5."

https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/04/10/roaming-charges-the-condition-our-condition-is-in/

I read about this in an article Jeff Carter linked around two weeks ago now with a followup article a few days ago.  It seems like the only way to really stop this stuff is contact tracing and quarantining.  Will it ever happen here?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-plan-to-defeat-coronavirus-finally-emerges-but-its-not-from-the-white-house/ar-BB12rUrj?li=BBnb7Kz

Edited by Ron Bulman

If anything, the number is probably understated:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/fdny-sees-huge-uptick-in-doa-ambulance-cases-as-covid-ravages-city

This is what I thought.  Many people simply die at home or on the street.  As everyone knows, NYC is a jungle.  I was there twice, and I never want to go back.  My idea of a great place to live is Santa Barbara, La Jolla, Naples, Florida, Boston in the summer. 

New York? Yech. Remember Midnight Cowboy?

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/fdny-sees-huge-uptick-in-doa-ambulance-cases-as-covid-ravages-city

This is what I thought.  Many people simply die at home or on the street.  As everyone knows, NYC is a jungle.  I was there twice, and I never want to go back.  My idea of a great place to live is Santa Barbara, La Jolla, Naples, Florida, Boston in the summer. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=midnight+cowboy+soundtrack&docid=608001166384104456&mid=B8D6B53A45A429E20B38B8D6B53A45A429E20B38&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Dustin Hoffmann had the showier part in Midnight Cowboy, Voight had a more difficult part. You could not do it technically like Hoffmann did.

Voight is one of the subtlest, most empathic actors in America.  If I had to compare him to someone it would probably be Christian Bale.

But compared to Bale, he mishandled his career. And that's an understatement.

Edited by James DiEugenio

1 hour ago, Robert Wheeler said:

That movie (Midnight Cowboy) and Taxi Driver are just disturbing on so many different levels.

Best NYC Themed Movies by decade they were set in.

1970s  = Taxi Driver. 

Runner Up - The Warriors

1980s  = Wall Street

Runner Up = Bright Lights, Big City

Do The Right Thing = best NYC film set in the 80’s.  
Runners up: Wall Street, After Hours.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

1 hour ago, Robert Wheeler said:

1990s = The Wolf of Wall Street

No way, Robert!

Nothing beats the Abel Ferrara 90’s NYC double feature —

Bad Lieutenant and The King of New York.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

I thought this photo was a hoax, its not.

Read the story, they are now using a tennis court as a hospital stand in, and they may have to go to hotels?  How about Trump donating his?

Ugh the irony.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2020/04/10/mass-burials-surge-as-new-york-city-set-to-hit-100-000-coronavirus-cases-1274835

31 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

I thought this photo was a hoax, its not.

Read the story, they are now using a tennis court as a hospital stand in, and they may have to go to hotels?  How about Trump donating his?

Ugh the irony.

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2020/04/10/mass-burials-surge-as-new-york-city-set-to-hit-100-000-coronavirus-cases-1274835

From the accompanying article:

NEW YORK — The number of burials at New York’s Hart Island, a sprawling public cemetery holding the remains of the unclaimed dead, has increased fivefold as the death toll from the coronavirus continues to rise in the city.

With the pandemic claiming at least 5,065 lives in New York by Friday, overwhelmed mortuaries have moved unclaimed bodies — many that had been held for more than month, from people who died of other causes — to the island in order to make more space for coronavirus casualties.

+++

This is more or less business as usual in NYC.  Inmates from Rikers Island customarily bury the unclaimed dead of the city's morgues on islands in the East River.  The city is just moving the past unclaimed to the mass graves faster, so that any unclaimed Corona victims can be buried faster, and the morgues can control space better.  There is no "surge in mass burials" indicated, and this photo is not certifiably of any unclaimed Corona dead.

Edited by David Andrews

We need more flags out.

9/11 widow: "Everywhere you looked, there were flags.  Flags and missing persons flyers."

I see everybody sheltering, but very few houses and buildings flying flags.  We need to put flags out as proof of life, and as a sign that - to whatever purpose you desire - we will not be f*cked with.

If I get sentimental about flags, you know there's a need for response.

+++

Uncage the colors, show 'em in every park

Do it for Little Walter, do it for Tony Stark

Do it for Jeffrey Epstein, and for Brian Epstein, too

Fly 'em for John F. Kennedy, fly 'em for me and for you

Play High Noon by Frankie Laine, it went to Number One

Play it for Stormy Daniels, her clothes have come undone

Play Stormy Weather by Lena Horne, I don't give a duck

Play it for all the people in refrigerated trucks

Play Sixteen Candles, play Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)

Play 'em in the FEMA camp, where the unclaimed bodies burn

Play 'em for T. S. Eliot, play 'em for Martha Reeves

Play 'em out at Arlington, where an Unknown Soldier grieves

Play Pop Goes the Weasel. and Pop Musik by M.

Play 'em till you're sick and tired, then play 'em once again.

-- Copyright 2020 Sony Music Entertainment

Edited by David Andrews

Sheltering in place and watching the film "Z" together, my wife and I today were distracted hearing this ominous military type loud speaker blaring a block or two away.

The words "THERE ARE NO MORE MASKS" ... "THERE ARE NO MORE MASKS"  were being loudly and repeatedly broadcast over and over through this loudspeaker.

We walked outside on our deck and noticed it was being broadcast from a police car that was moving slowly down the street below our house.

Unlike every day the last two weeks, with almost no cars on the street, there was a line with no visible end of backed up cars going the other direction ( toward the elementary school ) as the police car.

What had happened ( we found out later ) was the City of Monterey, Ca had posted an on-line notice announcing a face mask distribution at an elementary school yard close to our home. This was being done through the fire department.

The giveaway session was supposed to be open for 1 and 1/2 hours.

Within less than 1/2 hour they had depleted the supply.

The traffic and crowd control police car was announcing to the huge car line of desperate people waiting to get their masks, that there were no more left.

The whole scene seemed right out of a Sci-Fi national emergency movie.

Our new reality I sadly say.

Edited by Joe Bauer

On 4/10/2020 at 7:39 PM, James DiEugenio said:

Jim, now that Trump moved his residence to Florida, hasn't  the President designated NYC as a certified sh-thole?  I thought I read that somewhere.

That dude don't look back.                                                                                                                           Ha ha                             trump joke

Those are some tawny California towns , Jim.

La Jolla-- I get the attraction there, you just want to get back together with Tommy Graves. I knew time couldn't pull you guys apart!

Santa Barbara--That's as far south as I'd go. That's pretty nice.

As far as Jon Voight, I've seen very little of his 21st Century movies. But he's great in his most recent stuff, playing Mickey in Ray Donovan.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway