The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

6 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

William, I saw this sheriff story this morning on local news. I'm in Flagstaff right now. I'd say in Arizona, 3/4 of the employees working indoors are wearing masks and maybe a 1/3 of the patrons going indoors. I'd say 3/4 of the people walking about outside are not wearing masks. I went down to Phoenix 2 days to take a beautiful well maintained dirt road drive East I had heard about. When I got down there, I found the route had been closed that very morning because of the Bush fire. When I arrived in Scottsdale, it was110! Yesterday I turned around and came back up here where it's cool. I think I've gotten better hotel preferences by arriving in the lobby with a mask.

Some of the people in the South and Southwest are too loose. They thought nothing could touch them and it's starting to come back on them. Young people are becoming infected at higher rates now.

I drove from Flagstaff down to Phoenix last April, (2019) and the ambient temperature rose from the mid-70s (in Flagstaff) to 100 degrees (in Phoenix.)

In fact, I ran into a guy carrying his skis in the elevator of my hotel in Flagstaff the previous evening.  (He had been skiing on that mountain outside of Flagstaff.)

It's sad to read about those Arizona forest fires this week, but not surprising.

I think we might have a serious forest fire problem in southern Colorado, as well, this summer.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What in the world does a guy like this Sheriff Lamb say now when asked to defend his previous virus downplaying stand?

Edited by Joe Bauer

On 6/17/2020 at 11:45 AM, David Andrews said:

Joe, the old guy's obviously a bit horse-blinkered, and feeling the need to apologize for the South even in 1947.  "States' rights" was the obfuscating rallying cry for the legalization of slavery in the territories of Kansas-Nebraska-Missouri, which in the case of Nebraska would have brought slavery north of the old Mason-Dixon line in the east, which worried northerners opposed to ongoing politico-legal compromises before the war

Everybody interested in "States' rights" just happened to live in a state that wanted slavery.

Sent you a message but you cannot receive them. 

32 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Sent you a message but you cannot receive them. 

See if it works now.

In the passage you quoted, I was speaking generally of the antebellum pro-slavery climate, especially regarding the westward spread of slavery.  I understand that the state sovereignty issue has complex roots going back to the Articles of Confederation, the debate over ratifying the Constitution, the Federalist party vs. the Democratic-Republicans, and the several motions for disunion threatening the republic before the rise of abolitionism.  One of the motives of industrializing the South during Reconstruction (and the New Deal) was to remove economic bases for disunion or separatism.

State sovereignty was one of the motivators of the rise of political parties in the US, of which there were many before the Civil War.  Separatism and sectional-cultural divisions have threatened the US into the twentieth century, but we haven't had a massively bilateral culture since slavery (or since Civil Rights movement), as has, say, the Canadian federation with its French-speaking region.  You could write a book, and there are several highly readable ones on the history of state sovereignty conflicts in the US.

Edited by David Andrews

Who'd a thunk this five months ago.  12 people, 16 or 28.  It must be considered how many people servers and pedestrians are less than six feet to patrons on the walkway.  Three, then four, then eight. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/is-it-actually-safe-to-dine-outside-heres-what-the-math-says/ar-BB15G6P0?li=BBnb7Kz

Edited by Ron Bulman

"Texas AFT (American Federation of Teachers) says a big Hell No to what looks like a return to normal in August."  "We won't sacrifice our members and students for politics."  Texas State Teachers Association President Candelaria said Thursday "school staff members should be involved in the government's plan to reopen schools because they have to work in school buildings.  The governor and state education commissioner don't." 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas-teachers-resist-school-reopening-plan-as-coronavirus-cases-spike/ar-BB15GC3N?li=BBnb7Kz

Good one Ron.  Man 35 kids in a room and there is no way you can get them six feet apart.

Read this story all the way through. It is really kind of stunning.

And recall what Trump said about comparing himself with Lincoln on civil rights..  

I don't even think Nixon would do this.

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/nation-world/trump-twitter-toddler-video-manipulated/507-61c9e0b3-6789-45a9-a134-a7df0020ed47

Private sector "Warrior Cop" training available to police departments through government grant funding, or funds raised by asset seizure from suspects.  Staffed by former military, mercenaries, Blackwater types?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/06/warrior-cop-trainings-industry.html

Be sure to watch the advertising video for the course "Sun Tzu and the Warrior Resiliency Mindset."  It's real Parallax View.

Edited by David Andrews

2 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Private sector "Warrior Cop" training available to police departments through government grant funding, or funds raised by asset seizure from suspects.  Staffed by former military, mercenaries, Blackwater types?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/06/warrior-cop-trainings-industry.htm

David,

This Slate article brings to mind the 500+ citizen videos of police and National Guard assaults on George Floyd protesters this month.

All of them are shocking, including the video (below) of  National Guard troopers shooting at people on their porch in Minneapolis, while saying, "Light 'em up!"

When I first watched this bizarre video, I noticed that the troopers were acting like they were on street patrol in Kabul or Fallujah-- hostile foreign territory.  It was like a scene out of Clint Eastwood's jingoist movie, America Sniper, transposed to a quiet, middle class neighborhood in Minneapolis.

Edited by W. Niederhut

Meanwhile, Trump flirts with Nazi iconography on Facebook:

https://slate.com/technology/2020/06/facebook-deactivated-a-trump-campaign-ad.html

When Trump loses the election (if) and cries foul and calls on his Q followers, white power groups and 2nd amendment gun freaks to take to the streets In protest, will cops stand between us and them, or will they join them? Progressives, liberals, non whites are the clear majority, but mostly we are unarmed. This is one reason I don’t like the phrase ‘defund the police’. That won’t work, and would not be nearly as good as retraining them and prosecuting bad cops. They are our neighbors, and in principle they are a good thing. But history weighs largely on the other side. Why is there a thin blue line? This is largely an American problem. Violence is inbred here, not so much in Europe and Great Britain. I like detective shows, crime dramas. Police are always portrayed as organizations where the higher up you go the more corruption you find. It’s an American meme. I’ve been watching some detective shows produced in Sicily. Completely different. Same for England. 

Edited by Paul Brancato

5 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

When Trump loses the election (if) and cries foul and calls on his Q followers, white power groups and 2nd amendment gun freaks to take to the streets In protest, will cops stand between us and them, or will they join them? Progressives, liberals, non whites are the clear majority, but mostly we are unarmed. 

Apropos of nothing, hopefully, here's how Revolutionary War hero "Light Horse Harry" Lee, Robert E. Lee's father, got his nose cut off by an Anti-Federalist mob (The AntiFe?) in Baltimore, 1812:

[wiki] During the civil unrest in Baltimore, Maryland in 1812, Lee received grave injuries while helping to resist an attack on his friend, Alexander Contee Hanson, editor of the Baltimore newspaper, The Federal Republican on July 27, 1812. Hanson was attacked by a Democratic-Republican mob because his paper opposed the War of 1812. Lee and Hanson and two dozen other Federalists had taken refuge in the offices of the paper. The group surrendered to Baltimore city officials the next day and were jailed. Laborer George Woolslager led a mob that forced its way into the jail and removed the Federalists, beating and torturing them over the next three hours. All were severely injured, and one Federalist, James Lingan, died.

Lee suffered extensive internal injuries as well as head and face wounds, and even his speech was affected. His observed symptoms were consistent with what is now called post-traumatic stress disorder. After unsuccessful convalescence at home, he sailed to the West Indies in an effort to recuperate from his injuries. On his way back to Virginia, he died on March 25, 1818.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Lee_III

Edited by David Andrews