The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Ty Carpenter said:

Yeah, it already is criminalized. He was passed out drunk in a drive thru. He obviously drove there drunk. The entire interaction seemed good and respectful from both sides until he resisted and stole the taser. Do you condone his actions leading up to the shooting?

We have laws to punish this, not bullets to assist policemen who can't make an arrest.

Glad to see the TV show "Cops" cancelled.

It invariably showed the police in a positive light and their suspects in a very negative one.

The show always depressed me.

Not just that it gave you the impression that life in our urban and rural area poor zones was rife with drunken, drug addled, crazy and dangerous looking characters driving around and/or hanging around every corner with domestic violence rampant to boot, but it seemed as if the huge majority of arrests were made around drug possession.

Drug possession was clearly the number one excuse to make these arrests.

Also, the majority of suspects seemed black in my observation, although I didn't do a scientific study of this.

With far too many of the episodes showing the police acting much more aggressively than the situation called for imo.

Scores of times you would hear handcuffed suspects who had been tossed on the ground and leaned on calling out saying they were in extreme pain and begging for the arresting officers to stop the aggression. They rarely responded to these complaints of pain imo.

I thought...if these episodes are depicting this over-aggression so clearly, what in the world did the videos that were edited out show in this regards?

The show definitely had a police can do no wrong, most suspects are just low life scum fascist tone and color. 

I'll be the first to say we need police in our society. Letting criminally minded people ( especially violent ones ) do their thing unfettered would be the ultimate apocalyptic nightmare.

But, according to the show Cops, the majority of police arrests are centered around drug use and possession and not actual physical violence.

Time to decriminalize drug possession and use...with an exception for clearly larger dollar amount drug shipment, dealing and sales.

The terminator insist on masks!  They're almost a joke around here.  A few wear them sometimes some places.  Not the sheriff for photo ops standing between others elbow to elbow, or other politicians.  Gotta maintain that tough guy/woman image.  The Gov and associates don't, it's not cool, it doesn't promote business as usual.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/arnold-schwarzenegger-leaves-legendary-gym-over-mask-policy/ar-BB15zHv1?li=BBnbfcL

People on the local county facebook news page comment about the recent rise in our number of cases.  It's the protest.  A small one, many were masked, most were not, nor the officers joining them.  It's Wal-Mart.  Well they tried.  Only one family member was never observed, bring the kids, stop and chat in the aisle with neighbors, cousins etc..  Masks, maybe 20% at one point, one way aisle's?  No habla arrows.  Since reopening and the increase I wonder about the restaurant's in particular.  I've been out to eat 3X in the last month, all in other towns I had to go to, could have done drive through.  2 had every other table, 2 had no masks or gloves.  Many I've observed in the evening on Friday/Saturday or Sunday morning going to get a newspaper had packed parking lots.  No way they're observing social distancing.  Then again the two gym's I pass have a lot of traffic.

Does Arnold wonder about covid, I'll be baack. 

18 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Hey, think about this Charles Dickens/Victor Hugo cruelty story financial arrangement for one second.

Bleak House?

Edited by Pete Mellor

5 hours ago, Pete Mellor said:

Bleak House?

Yes. 

A timeless story.

Seems most wealthy will contesting scenes are darkly dramatic.

Back stabbing, betrayals, bitter resentments...superseding even blood loyalty.

56 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

1947 oral history recording of a Confederate footsoldier's recollections of Lee's surrender and the causes of the war.

Be prepared to depart this world without ever seeing a new Civil War movie.

Interesting.

However, would General Lee and so many other wealthy Southerners ( and obviously this speaker's parents as well ) set free their slaves had they not been confronted militarily and had the crap beaten out of them?

It's one thing to say you "grew" into a sympathetic Negro slave freedom mind set "after" the war.

And the man says the Southern boys were fighting more for "states rights" alone than the slavery issue.

How far can a federal republic founded on the principle that all men are created equal and have certain inalienable rights, go in allowing individual parts of that union to violate this most sacred constitution declared right of all?

There is a clear line of humanitarian right and wrong tolerance that supersedes "states rights."

What if this man and his Southern brotherhood had been forced into slavery themselves under the total control of complete authority "masters" who dictated their every life move and decisions?

Please, states rights...baloney!

Edited by Joe Bauer

Joe, the old guy's obviously a bit horse-blinkered, and feeling the need to apologize for the South even in 1947.  "States' rights" was the obfuscating rallying cry for the legalization of slavery in the territories of Kansas-Nebraska-Missouri, which in the case of Nebraska would have brought slavery north of the old Mason-Dixon line in the east, which worried northerners opposed to ongoing politico-legal compromises before the war

Everybody interested in "States' rights" just happened to live in a state that wanted slavery.

EDIT - "Just about everybody in the 1850s."  See my post below.

Edited by David Andrews

Here's an outstanding essay, "Southern Comfort," by Princeton historian James McPherson on the subject of "state's rights" and the Lost Cause mythology.

McPherson has an encyclopedic knowledge of Civil War era history, and he's also a great writer.

His Pulitzer Prize winning book, Battle Cry of Freedom, is one of the best books I've read in the past 20 years-- a masterpiece.

Among other things, it's a social and economic history of the 1850s and 60s in the United States.

Southern Comfort

by James M. McPherson

https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2001/04/12/southern-comfort/

April 12, 2001

The Cornerstone speech by Alexander Stephens, VP of the confederacy, is what the issue really was about: let us never forget it:

“Its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition.”

Plague wise it hit a little closer to home today.  My wife was laid off in late March.  Her work, a church daycare closed in early April.  She was laid off early as high risk as a diabetic.  They re opened in late May.  She's still laid off.  Today they announced a two week shut down because an employee tested positive. 

Pandemic making rents affordable again?

Two New York City grad school roommates are ecstatic about getting their two bedroom flat for the incredibly reduced price of only $4,900 a month!

In San Francisco the average rent for a one bedroom apartment has dropped 9% to only $3,300 a month!

Two bedroom apartments there have dropped down to only $4,400!

Move in costs with first and last or first and one month security plus other basic expenses would only be $10,000!

1 day ago - At the end of May, Ilana Freund LANDED A DEAL on an apartment in New York City where she will be attending graduate school. She and her ...

Manhattan one bedroom apartments have dropped down to $3,300!

Where we live in California, rents haven't dropped at all.

Average home rental costs here are $3,500 to $4,000 a month. One bedroom apartments start at $2,000 a month.

$5,000 easy needed to move into a one bedroom apartment. And that doesn't include the actual cost of moving. Single rooms with shared baths are around $1,000 a month.

Trump's people feel unemployed American citizens have been spoiled by getting an extra $600 a month for two months. Destroying their work incentive!

Damn lazy spoiled people won't go back to their $10 an hour fast food, gas station, convenience and discount store, dish washing, maid, janitorial etc. jobs.

And can't they make due after we already sent them that one huge $1,200 check two months ago?

The people who own the fast food franchises and hotels and restaurants are suffering. They can't find workers for their minimum wage ( before taxes ) job positions.

GD these spoiled American workers!

No more huge $600 a month freebies. And you all can wait another 2 months if we even spoil you some more with another stimulus check.

You already got $1,200 in March. Couldn't you make due for 4 to 5 months on that fat amount?

Edited by Joe Bauer

It remains a banner year for Darwin Awards in Trumptopia.

This sheriff was invited to the Trump White House after refusing to enforce COVID public health measures on the grounds that, in his exalted opinion, they were unnecessary and un-Constitutional!

A GOP sheriff vowed not to enforce Arizona’s coronavirus restrictions. Now he’s tested positive

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/18/arizona-coronavirus-sheriff/

June 18, 2020

As the rest of Arizona followed a stay-at-home order imposed by the governor in May, Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb proclaimed that the state’s attempt to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus was unconstitutional.

“The numbers don’t justify the actions anymore,” the defiant Republican sheriff told the Arizona Republic at the time, vowing not to arrest people or shut down businesses that violated the order. “Three hundred deaths is not a significant enough number to continue to ruin the economy.”

On Wednesday, less than two months after publicly challenging the state’s efforts to slow the spread of a virus that has now spiked in Arizona, Lamb announced he had tested positive for the coronavirus before a scheduled meeting with President Trump.

In a Facebook post, Lamb wrote he was invited on Tuesday to the White House as part of Trump’s meeting with law enforcement officials and the signing of his executive action on policing. As part of a mandatory coronavirus screening for all White House visitors, he learned he had the virus. The sheriff, who is asymptomatic, said he believes he got infected during a campaign event on Saturday, speculating it was “likely I came into contact with an infected individual.”

A video of a campaign event in San Tan Valley, Ariz., over the weekend showed Lamb, who is running unopposed in November, hugging, shaking hands and taking pictures with supporters. The video shows no one in the large crowd of people appears to be wearing a mask or maintaining social distancing. The same goes for Lamb, who has been selling campaign merchandise and autographed photos of himself during his unopposed bid for reelection, according to PinalCentral.com.

“Unfortunately, as a law enforcement official and elected leader, we do not have the luxury of staying home,” he wrote. “This line of work is inherently dangerous, and that is a risk we take when we sign up for the job. Today, that risk is the COVID-19 virus.”

Edited by W. Niederhut

William, I saw this sheriff story this morning on local news. I'm in Flagstaff right now. I'd say in Arizona, 3/4 of the employees working indoors are wearing masks and maybe a 1/3 of the patrons going indoors. I'd say 3/4 of the people walking about outside are not wearing masks. I went down to Phoenix 2 days to take a beautiful well maintained dirt road drive East I had heard about. When I got down there, I found the route had been closed that very morning because of the Bush fire. When I arrived in Scottsdale, it was110! Yesterday I turned around and came back up here where it's cool. I think I've gotten better hotel preferences by arriving in the lobby with a mask.

Some of the people in the South and Southwest are too loose. They thought nothing could touch them and it's starting to come back on them. Young people are becoming infected at higher rates now.