The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Mark Stevens said:

I'm not sure if anyone has heard anything of this, but saw a friend comment about it on Facebook and thought it was interesting.

Not sure how this relates to the Plague or JFK.

14 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:
Four states, including Florida and Texas, report highest single-day totals

June 25, 2020

The United States reported 36,880 new coronavirus cases on Wednesday, the largest one-day total since the start of the pandemic and more than two months after the previous high.

The number of infections indicated that the country was not only failing to contain the virus, but also that the caseload was worsening — a path at odds with many other nations that have seen steady declines after an earlier peak. Cases in the United States had been on a downward trajectory after the previous high of 36,739 cases on April 24, but they have roared back in recent weeks.

The resurgence is concentrated largely in the South and West. Florida, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Texas reported their highest single-day totals on Wednesday, but case numbers have been rising in 29 states.

The tally of new cases, based on a New York Times database, showed that the outbreak was stronger than ever. The elevated numbers are a result of worsening conditions across much of the country, as well as increased testing — but testing alone does not explain the surge. The percentage of people in Florida who have tested positive for the virus has risen sharply. Increases in hospitalizations also signal the virus’s spread.

It's hard to tell how many of the increased number of new cases is due to increased spreading of the virus, or merely to more tests being performed. But I've thought of an easy way to take increased testing out of the equation. Rather than looking at the number of new daily cases, look instead at the new daily deaths.

This works because deaths from covid-19 occur regardless of the amount of testing being done.

If the number of new deaths flattens or goes down, this means that the increased number of new cases is due (primarily) to increased testing and is nothing to worry about.

Note that there might be a lag in this indicator, depending on how quickly covid-19 kills.

Italy sends soldiers to town near Naples amid tensions over Covid-19 outbreak

Italy has sent soldiers to restore order in a coastal town near Naples after a coronavirus outbreak at an apartment complex illegally occupied by hundreds of migrant workers caused angry confrontations with residents, Reuters reports.

The authorities announced on Thursday that more than 40 people living at the abandoned buildings in Mondragone, 45km from Naples, had tested positive for Covid-19, and warned the entire town could be quarantined if the outbreak proves widespread.

A resident living in a building inside the red zone where new 49 cases of coronavirus infections were confirmed in Mondragone, Italy.

A resident living in a building inside the red zone where new 49 cases of coronavirus infections were confirmed in  Mondragone, Italy. Photograph: ANSA/AFP/Getty Images

The apartment buildings were sealed off to prevent the spread of infection but footage on RAI state TV from Thursday showed a group of residents defying the order to stay put and marching through the town in protest at what they said was raciial discrimination.

Many of those living at the complex are Bulgarians working as seasonal fruit pickers in the fields around the town.

An Italian soldier standing guard below buildings inside the red zone where 49 cases of coronavirus infections were confirmed in Mondragone, Southern Italy.

An Italian soldier standing guard below buildings inside the red zone where 49 cases of coronavirus infections were confirmed in Mondragone, Southern Italy. Photograph: ANSA/AFP/Getty Images

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jun/26/coronavirus-live-news-cases-rise-in-27-us-states-as-cdc-estimates-20m-americans-may-have-been-infected

Edited by David Andrews

10 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Not sure how this relates to the Plague or JFK.

My apologies, but all throughout this thread a variety of topics have been covered. Trump, BLM, police, covid, JFK, even just music videos being posted. 

Any particular reason you singled out my reply, and not literally the hundreds before it when none of those also related to JFK or the "Plague?" 

Coronavirus paves way for cashless society, digital currency: When cash is illegal, only criminals will have cash --

In Britain:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/jun/24/you-cant-pay-cash-here-how-cashless-society-harms-most-vulnerable

In the US:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/a-penny-for-your-thoughts-could-be-a-lot-harder-to-find/ar-BB15Yf0E?li=BBnbfcL

That's the way to social control: make everything dirty.

Please pay some attention to this.

Edited by David Andrews

23 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

With his mask draped beneath his chin the President said, Here before a microphone  I can drop my mask to speak with you clearly.  It can and will be disinfected after I do so.  I wear one to protect my Family, the cabinet and my advisors, the Secret Service and others.  You should too.  As he put his mask back on an walked away.  

Blame it on those leftover Colorado chocolate candies from last year.  Daydreaming.  

Actually lets blame it on a dream of leadership in a time of national crisis.  Something we have not seen in a leader since JFK and the Cuban Missile Crisis imho.  While not four months long JFK did confront the problem head on immediately instead of ignoring or dismissing he led us through it.

12 hours ago, Mark Stevens said:

My apologies, but all throughout this thread a variety of topics have been covered. Trump, BLM, police, covid, JFK, even just music videos being posted. 

Any particular reason you singled out my reply, and not literally the hundreds before it when none of those also related to JFK or the "Plague?" 

Believe it or not I've tried at times to steer or keep this thread at least somewhat on topic in relation to the plague and/or JFK in hopes that it might not be moved or deleted, as those two subjects relate to all readers here.  The virus affects us all, we wouldn't be here but for JFK.  That said I realize I've gone off topic too.  W. who started the thread pointed out a ZZ Top video I thought in the context of things to watch while bored sheltering in place from the plague.  Your post about a child sex slavery operation by the Milwaukee PD/Give Me Back My Nudes/child kidnaping/rape house didn't seem to relate to the virus or JFK.  Other comments on the thread have digressed.  Hopefully it survives, as a place where some can relate to the Plague, JFK and more.  

Mark, I've enjoyed and found other of your comments interesting and informative, please don't take offense.  I just didn't find this one relevant, which means really not much of nothing here.

BTW, if anyone else watched and enjoyed the ZZ Top documentary W. recommended you might like this if bored while sheltering in place still, or again.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=muscle+shoals+documentary&docid=607996446469588922&mid=4912DE8629AF1A6EC6A34912DE8629AF1A6EC6A3&view=detail&FORM=VIREHT

Lot's of people on facebook locally are PO'd.  Vote em' out.  In emergency session on Friday the city council canceled plans for the annual 4th of July activities.  I heard a radio ad that morning on a Fort Worth radio station, come to Stephenville, 9:00 parade, petting zoo, Ferriss  wheel, stay all day for fireworks at 10:00.

Stay home.  Cowtown has a much better fireworks show.  I've seen them both, believe me.   Don't mean to be rude but our numbers are already rising.  But your part of that four county region that represents 1/4 - 1/5 of the cases in the state.  Kudo's to the city council I didn't think had the balls to do this.  Not that it will stop the spread, but a step in the right direction. 

stay home

According to the NYT's database, new COVID cases in the U.S. have increased by 69 percent during the past 14 days.

Florida's daily tally has surged 5-fold.

Incredibly, Ron DeSantis is still trying to blame the surge on deltas in testing, rather than on the botched re-openings!

I read earlier DeSantis said they were in a good place, new cases were down to 8500 yesterday from 9500 on Friday.

There's so much BS to deal with beside just trying not to catch the virus.  So many ignore any social distancing, masks are mocked.  "It's all a plot by those damned liberals".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-california-restaurant-closed-over-customers-refusal-to-wear-masks-harassment-of-employees/ar-BB164V80?li=BBnbfcL