The Education Forum

National Archives release first batch of 2017 JFK documents

The National Archives have just released the first batch of long awaited 2017 JFK documents, with more to follow.  3810 documents have been released, 441 of those were previously withheld in full, the rest present unredacted versions of previously censored documents.  The first batch comes to many gigabytes of material.  I'm on a phone so can't post a link but there is a lot of stuff now awaiting the attention of researchers.  JFK Facts has the story and Jeff Morley is going through documents and will update the site with info soon.  It's happening folks.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IThe direct link to the NARA 2017 docs download page is:

https://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/2017-release

These are mostly multi-GB files.  I'm downloading Part 3 of the 9 "formerly withheld in full" docs.  Perhaps we can collectively give first looks at most of these, though I'm really not expecting much....  

EDIT: The file sizes listed on the download page are not accurate.  The file I just downloaded was only about 40 percent of the indicated size.  The download took less than 10 minutes.

Edited by Jim Hargrove

WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS NOW?

TO AVOID THE FANFARE OF THE EXPECTED OCTOBER RELEASE?

9 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS NOW?

TO AVOID THE FANFARE OF THE EXPECTED OCTOBER RELEASE?

I asked myself that question. Perhaps Trump it twisting arms, tweaking nipples, threatening this or that entity or person?

1 minute ago, Michael Clark said:

I asked myself that question. Perhaps Trump it twisting arms, tweaking nipples, threatening this or that entity or person?

No way Trump is engaged in this issue.

Since it doesn't involve him, Agent Orange has zero interest.

3 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

If he needs leverage, he could have someone sorting through the docs for dirt. He may be concerned that he might not be able to make it to October. I think any President would want to have someone looking at what is scheduled for release. Any President would, I think, be obligated to have it all gone-over because they would be held responsible.

10 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

I am not giving him any credit, to be sure; he has some savvy players around him.... Bannon?

I suspect that Jim is on the money here....the Administration could care less about something like this....heck, the majority of its appointments have still not been made....this is just to move it out at a time when the news is subsumed in Trump, Health Care etc knowing that nothing else is getting media attention now.  After all, once NARA has it ready, why hold it for some event to focus attention on it....this makes it look like its no big deal at all.

JIm:

Are you able to download it? My system failed.  Let me know if you did it.

Yeah, the download I did about five hours ago worked well, but I just got back from the airport and the site seems to be crawling now.  Could there be that much interest in the files?

If you're still on Pacific time, you might try as late as possible, assuming your problem is due to bandwidth issues at NARA.

The head archivist, discussing the releases in a mainstream interview a few months back, stated that the October date was a final deadline, but that they would probably start releasing some of the material in batches from the middle of the year.  That said, this first batch is right on schedule.

Collins Radio of Richardson, TX (near Dallas), the employer of both Carl Mather and Kenneth Porter, has long been of interest to JFK researchers. Collins Radio was also the lessee of a 174-ft. ship called the “Rex,” which, according to the 11/1/63 NYTimes,  carried a group of commandos to Cuba in a failed attempt to kill Fidel Castro.  (Source, H&L pp. 716 & 731)

Although I haven’t seen much directly about the Kennedy assassination in this file [DOCID-32358065.PDF from Part 3 of the formerly-withheld-in-full releases from today], this 21-page CIA document seems to confirm what we long suspected: that the CIA had, at least at the time of the HSCA, a close working relationship with Collins Radio.

Here’s one of those 21 pages:

CollinsRadio18.jpg