The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

Whew! Yeah what a choice!

It's the "Dog Faced Pony Soldier" against the "Hog Faced Grody Boner."

Maybe not that hard a choice.

Never thought I'd be this age, making sophomoric jokes like this. That what  the elder Trump has reduced me to.

Feels good!

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

4 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

Au contraire, that couldn't have been original. Biden was quoting somebody. It sounds like a line from a movie (like Brando's "you scum-sucking pig") back before profanity was allowed. (Except, of course, for "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"). I'm encouraged that at least Biden was able to remember it. (I also think he apologized, although my memory sometimes seems to be gone with the wind.)

It's from some long-lost cavalry officer-vs.-Indian chief movie confrontation, probably a B-movie, or some tedious Jeff Chandler western, where a lance is hurled into the dusty earth, and the insulted cavalry officer breaks it.  The line isn't in Pony Soldier (1952) as has been suggested, nor in the granddaddy of desert confrontation scenes, Fort Apache (1948), which sets Duke Wayne, Henry Fonda and a host of alcoholic John Ford supporting players against the tribe, including our beloved *Ward Bond*.  Meanwhile, here's a1985 parody, from a time when production values on commercials ran high:

Nobody but Biden knows the genesis of "lying, dog-faced pony soldier," and he'll likely take it to his grave, or put it in his memoirs, which will amount to the same thing.

Edited by David Andrews

2 hours ago, David Andrews said:

It's from some long-lost cavalry officer-vs.-Indian chief movie confrontation, probably a B-movie, or some tedious Jeff Chandler western, where a lance is hurled into the dusty earth, and the insulted cavalry officer breaks it.  The line isn't in Pony Soldier (1952) as has been suggested, nor in the granddaddy of desert confrontation scenes, Fort Apache (1948), which sets Duke Wayne, Henry Fonda and a host of alcoholic John Ford supporting players against the tribe, including our beloved *Ward Bond*. 

Such a strange coincidence.  I just happened to watch John Ford's 1948 film, Fort Apache, for the first time ever last week-- on Amazon Prime.

(I've been reading some 19th century narratives and watching old movies about the Apaches recently, including Stagecoach, (1939) Broken Arrow, (1951) and Rio Grande (1950.)

I thought Fort Apache was quite good, and also funny -- especially the scene where high-falutin' Col. Henry Fonda asks the Irish sergeant if the rot gut liquor being sold by the crooked Indian Affairs agent is really whiskey.  The sergeant takes a swig, grimaces, and gasps in an Irish brogue, "Well, it's better than no whiskey at all, sir." 🤥

As for Joe Biden, he has a serious goofiness problem.  It was obvious in the recent Democratic primary debates-- which he lost, consistently.

Edited by W. Niederhut

It's possible that Biden may be able legitimately to call Trump a "lying, orange-faced killer" by the time November rolls around.

A factor in the election could be the number of lawsuits against the Trump campaign over COVID-19 deaths resulting from the Tulsa rally and rallies to follow. I'm not a lawyer, but I hope the medical expert is right who said today on TV that by deliberately luring people into such a dangerous situation, the waivers being required by the Trump campaign aren't worth the paper they're written on.

The Tulsa rally is an incredibly irresponsible act by a national "leader" during this pandemic. Quantitatively it's not as bad as the followers of Jim Jones dying from cyanide ingestion at Jonestown, but killing people is killing people, whether it's people at the rally or people they then infect.

48 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Such a strange coincidence.  I just happened to watch John Ford's 1948 film, Fort Apache, for the first time ever last week-- on Amazon Prime.

(I've been reading some 19th century narratives and watching old movies about the Apaches recently, including Stagecoach, (1939) Broken Arrow, (1951) and Rio Grande (1950.)

Rio Grande, considered the weakest of Ford's "cavalry trilogy," actually has some great sentimental moments involving Wayne's dysfunctional family.

I'm thinking that the Indian-cavalry officer "lying pony soldier" scene predates the sound film, and may be in one of Ford's own silents.  Joe McBride would know.

2 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

As for Joe Biden, he has a serious goofiness problem.  It was obvious in the recent Democratic primary debates-- which he lost, consistently.

Biden owes Michael Bloomberg BIG TIME for marginalizing Sanders And Warren just enough with his 1/2 BILLION dollar "divide the democratic primary vote" campaign where Biden could then slip into the nomination with only a plurality of the vote.

Edited by Joe Bauer

15 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Biden owes Michael Bloomberg BIG TIME for marginalizing Sanders And Warren just enough with his 1/2 BILLION dollar "divided the democratic primary vote" campaign where Biden could slip into the nomination with only a plurality of the vote.

How did Bloomberg marginalize Sanders and Warren when all his ads were anti-Trump?

Bloomberg didn’t siphon any votes from the left.

Biden won because black folks voted for him.

56 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

How did Bloomberg marginalize Sanders and Warren when all his ads were anti-Trump?

Bloomberg didn’t siphon any votes from the left.

Biden won because black folks voted for him.

Bloomberg wasn't seriously attacking Trump.

He "had" to present himself with this cloth to justify and yet cover his true agenda in joining the race.

Here's how Bloomberg marginalized Sanders and Warren.

He made himself out to be a different take Dem choice than Warren and Sanders.

It wasn't a strong colorization ( supposedly more centrist than the dangerously radical Sanders and Warren )  but with MASSIVE marketing including almost daily brochures to Democratic party voters promoting this new candidate choice for them he was able to pull a good amount of voters away from them. Just by being a well known name mostly.

It wasn't hard to do. Many voters are swayed through massive marketing.

It reminded me of Ross Perot running as a third party candidate in the 1992 presidential election mostly on his own money.

In June of that year a Gallup poll showed he was leading both President Bush and Bill Clinton!

In the final election Perot pulled in an astounding 18.9% of the votes!

And this was after stopping his campaign efforts even before the election date, supposedly for security concerns for his family.

It is clear that Perot pulled enough votes away from George Bush to allow Clinton to win that election.

Perot pulled votes away from Bush much more than Clinton. Perot came across as a true Southern born, Texas twang good ole boy versus Bush's damn Yankee from Connecticut with fake Texas roots image.  True Southerners never really liked Bush that much anyway.

This is what Bloomberg did for Joe Biden in pulling enough votes away from Sanders and Warren beginning with the Super Tuesday elections.

Biden's black vote wasn't carrying him to victory as much as others claim. They make up only 13% of the electorate.

It was white voters who switched to Bloomberg that opened to door for Biden.

This was a deliberate agenda for Bloomberg.

He and his highest wealth corporate / investment bank base were clearly more anti-Sanders and anti-Warren than anti-Trump. Trump is one of them!

Didn't you read Bloomberg's own recorded words of warning to his Goldman Sachs about stopping Sanders and Warren?

And, if Bloomberg was serious that he joined the democratic primary race because he felt the candidates already in this weren't strong enough to defeat Trump, didn't this include Biden?

Of course his statement of such meant Biden too.

So, why instantly drop out of the primary race only when Sanders and Warren were marginalized. Why not continue on to defeat the other weak Democratic candidate Biden?

Bloomberg must have felt he was a stronger candidate than Biden. He had to have seen how poorly Biden did in the Democratic party primary debates.

Edited by Joe Bauer

1 hour ago, Joe Bauer said:

Bloomberg wasn't seriously attacking Trump.

He spent hundreds of millions of dollars on attack ads — how much more serious do you want?

He "had" to present himself with this cloth to justify and cover his true agenda in joining the race.

Here's how Bloomberg marginalized Sanders and Warren.

He made himself out to be a different take Dem choice than Warren and Sanders.

Yeah, Joe, that’s what anyne who runs make themselves out to be. So what? He wasn’t running in the left lane on policy, was he?

It wasn't a strong colorization ( supposedly more centrist than the dangerously radical Sanders and Warren )  but with MASSIVE marketing including almost daily brochures to Democratic party voters promoting this new candidate choice for them he was able to pull a good amount of voters away from them.

Where? He was only on the ballot on the March 3rd Super Tuesday primaries and dropped out of the race on March 5.

Warren destroyed the guy in debate.

Just by being a well known name mostly.

It wasn't hard to do.

It reminded me of Ross Perot running as a third party candidate in the 1992 presidential election mostly on his own money. In June of that year a Gallup poll showed he was leading both President Bush and Bill Clinton!

In the final election Perot pulled in an astounding 18.9% of the votes!

And this is after stopping his campaign efforts before the election date supposedly for security concerns for his family.

It is clear that Perot pulled enough votes away from George Bush to allow Clinton to win that election.

Factually incorrect.

https://www.pollingreport.com/hibbitts1202.htm
Now, let’s briefly consider the 1992 exit poll data and the actual composition of the Perot vote. According to the exit poll data, 38% of the Perot voters said they would have voted for Clinton in a two way race, 38% would have voted for Bush, 24% would not have voted. </q>

This is what Bloomberg did for Joe Biden in pulling enough votes away from Sanders and Warren beginning with the Super Tuesday elections.

What could possibly give you the impression Bloomberg pulled voters from the left?

Bloomberg dropped out after Super Tuesday.

Biden's black vote wasn't carrying him to victory as much as others claim. They make up only 13% of the electorate!

And they make up about a quarter of the Democratic primary vote. Black women are the most politically engaged part of the Democratic base.

https://www.blackenterprise.com/a-new-force-in-politics-black-women-as-game-changers/

It was white voters who switched to Bloomberg that opened to door for Biden.

This was a deliberate agenda for Bloomberg.

He and his highest wealth corporate / investment bank base were clearly more anti-Sanders and anti-Warren than anti-Trump. Trump is one of them!

And that’s why Bloomberg didn’t pull any votes from Sanders or Warren.

Didn't you read Bloomberg's own recorded words of warning to his Goldman Sachs about stopping Sanders and Warren?

So? Show me the figures on how much money he spent attacking Sanders and Warren. He ran an on-line ad attacking the behavior of the Bernie Bros, but didn’t run it on TV.

And, if Bloomberg was serious that he joined the democratic primary race because he felt the candidates already in this weren't strong enough to defeat Trump, didn't this include Biden?

Yes! He didn’t think Biden was strong enough, and he ran in the same centrist lane.

Of course his statement of such meant Biden too.

So, why instantly drop out of the primary race only when Sanders and Warren were marginalized. Why not continue on to defeat the other weak Democratic candidate Biden?

Because Super Tuesday gave Biden a big lead.

https://www.politico.com/2020-election/results/super-tuesday/

Edited by Cliff Varnell

Ok, interesting exchange. But really, it’s the DNC that made it happen for Biden, somehow maneuvering others candidates to drop out the weekend before Super Tuesday in a coordinated fashion - Klobuchar, Mayor Pete, maybe someone I’m forgetting. 

4 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Ok, interesting exchange. But really, it’s the DNC that made it happen for Biden, somehow maneuvering others candidates to drop out the weekend before Super Tuesday in a coordinated fashion - Klobuchar, Mayor Pete, maybe someone I’m forgetting. 

Millions of black voters picked Biden because of the DNC?

Just now, Cliff Varnell said:

Millions of black voters picked Biden because of the DNC?

I didn’t say that. I said the DNC somehow coordinated other candidates dropping out just before Super Tuesday. Voters undeniably had less choice. 
This may not be relevant, but I am curious - do you think Biden was the strongest choice? 
I am voting Democratic, but I am under no illusions about them. They look good by comparison to a Trump and todays Republicans, especially on Domestic issues. It was the DNC who tried to prevent Stacey Abrams in 2016 from getting the Democratic gubernatorial nomination, and they are trying to primary OAC as well. Yes the Democrats get the Black vote, and yes Black women are a major force. But only a rejuvenated Democratic Party with more progressive candidates (think 2018 midterms) and policies will ultimately help black lives, no matter how they view Biden. And I will keep my fingers crossed that Biden is responsive to his black supporters if he becomes president. 

14 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

I didn’t say that. I said the DNC somehow coordinated other candidates dropping out just before Super Tuesday. Voters undeniably had less choice. 

Seems to me the voters of New Hampshire, Nevada and South Carolina induced Buttigieg and Klobuchar to drop out. They got creamed, the money went dry.

This may not be relevant, but I am curious - do you think Biden was the strongest choice? 

Sanders/Abrams in an alternative universe...

I am voting Democratic, but I am under no illusions about them.

Of course not! They have to be forced to do the right stuff!  Nothing progresses without heavy grassroots push.

Then there are the judges. Right wingers have a much better grasp on the significance of the executive impact on the judiciary.

Trumpenlinks would have us believe there are no substantive differences between D’s and R’s, but the differences in judges are huge.

They look good by comparison to a Trump and todays Republicans, especially on Domestic issues. It was the DNC who tried to prevent Stacey Abrams in 2016 from getting the Democratic gubernatorial nomination, and they are trying to primary OAC as well. Yes the Democrats get the Black vote, and yes Black women are a major force. But only a rejuvenated Democratic Party with more progressive candidates (think 2018 midterms) and policies will ultimately help black lives, no matter how they view Biden. And I will keep my fingers crossed that Biden is responsive to his black supporters if he becomes president. 

We have to make him respond.

26 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

I am voting Democratic, but I am under no illusions about them. They look good by comparison to a Trump and todays Republicans, especially on Domestic issues. It was the DNC who tried to prevent Stacey Abrams in 2016 from getting the Democratic gubernatorial nomination, and they are trying to primary OAC as well. Yes the Democrats get the Black vote, and yes Black women are a major force. But only a rejuvenated Democratic Party with more progressive candidates (think 2018 midterms) and policies will ultimately help black lives, no matter how they view Biden. And I will keep my fingers crossed that Biden is responsive to his black supporters if he becomes president. 

I am with you on this. Paul. Furthermore, the first two primaries were in Iowa and New Hampshire that have small black populations and have a dominant white population that is not that familiar with black persons. That put highly qualified black candidates for the Democratic presidential nomination in a situation where they could not win and thus lost momentum to get the nomination. I would have supported these black candidates over Biden who in my opinion is a weak candidate and will be less than a mediocre president if elected.