• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

AOC says Biden ‘exceeded’ progressive expectations in first 100 days

https://nypost.com/2021/04/23/aoc-gives-biden-high-marks-for-first-100-days/

Anti-anti-Trump Lefties predicted Biden would be the most conservative Democratic President of the last century.

What are the chances they can admit that so far they're wrong?

This to people who are curious about the U.S. political process, like I am is fascinating. And even more so because it comes from a quarter I don't like. If this was aired on PBS, I didn't see it, but I haven't watched a lot of TV lately.

What can I say, as not necessarily a "dyed in the wool" Democrat, but always as the loyal opposition, I've always hated ace Republican poster Frank Luntz. A few years back when we had the latest incarnation of Democrats advocating that the super wealthy should pay more their fair share of taxes, they proposed a bump in the inheritance tax of taxpayers with estates of I believe over 10 million. Interestingly one of the proponents was Bill Gates father. "Oh how could it be so?' but then I think, well of course what difference could that really make to one of the richest people in the world, but then again, Bill Gates Sr. and the Gates family could have been just like 99% of the other super wealthy, and not advocate it, or even actively oppose it. Anyway I remember Luntz, with his polling was the source of the clever idea to brand the inheritance tax the "death tax." and spread it through the Fox network, so people with a few 100 thousand to pass onto their heirs got scared, and the idea went down the tubes.

The topic Luntz talks about is the  Trump campaign in 2016, and what a stir it caused in the Old Guard Republican Party and how it played out through Trump's administration through and after the Capitol riots. At one point he chokess up in what we're supposed to think is his future fear for his country. Even when he does this my skepticism about him is that they're crocodile tears or maybe it's just the usual sappy brand of Republican patriotism and I'm culturally misplaced.

But Luntz is the quite the insider.  Luntz talks of meetings he had with the alarmed Republican establishment in 2016, and talks in depth about Trump's relationship to Mitch Mc Connell, Kevin Mc Carthy, Nancy Pelosi, among others, and of course gives his insight into Trump himself. He talked with Mike Pence before Biden's inauguration, about his relationship with Trump after Trump incited some rioters  to cry "hang Mike Pence" after the Capitol riots. A question Pence has not publicly fielded to this day and Pence says he was just part of "God's plan" and everything  will work out the way God intended! Which of course Luntz doesn't raise an eyebrow about!

I got to give it to Luntz , he does pack it with information and makes such a performance out of it, you almost get the impression, he's been rehearsing it for weeks! But that could be my innate distrust again!

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

Biden sounded Presidential tonight.  Forceful, forward, ideological.  Refreshing.  He sure stirred the pot on multiple issues but seemed to make his point on most to me.  Though I'm not a Poli-Sci guy.  Worth a listen if you didn't.

Biden is about what I thought he would be.

Much better than Trump domestically.  In fact, if he keeps on going, I agree with AOC.

About an even call in foreign policy.  Let us see if he really gets us out of Afghanistan, and the Middle East,  and what he does about Syria and Yemen.

Edited by James DiEugenio

13 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Biden is about what I thought he would be.

Much better than Trump domestically.  In fact, if he keeps on going, I agree with AOC.

About an even call in foreign policy.  Let us see if he really gets us out of Afghanistan, and the Middle East,  and what he does about Syria and Yemen.

Jeremy Scahill just posted an article about Biden's Senate history on foreign policy and military issues.

I've been fairly pleased with Biden's first 100 days, but this is why I voted for Bernie in the 2020 primary here.

Empire Politician (theintercept.com)

Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor Greene mocked for forming joint fundraising agreement: 'Does it accept Venmo?'

by Brad Reed April 30, 2021

https://www.rawstory.com/matt-gaetz-and-marjorie-taylor-greene/

"Scandal-plagued Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) is teaming up with QAnon-loving Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) for a national tour in which they target fellow Republicans who don't support their purported "America first" agenda -- but that's not the full extent of their partnership.

Gaetz and Greene this week filed paperwork with the Federal Elections Commission this week to create the Put America First Joint Fundraising Committee, which will raise campaign cash for both Republican representatives.”

So, a Q-Anon conspiracy theorist teams up with a guy who likes young girls. Wonder how that’s going to work out? Can you imagine what their rallies are going to look like?

Steve Thomas