The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

Good news and bad on the COVID-19 front, folks.

The bad news is that Omicron is killing people.  Omicron infections are less lethal than Delta, but more prevalent. *

The good news-- from the latest UK data-- is that vaccine boosters have reduced the Omicron death risk by 95% in people over 50.**

This is a subject we were discussing here last month-- i.e., is it worth getting a booster?  The answer is, "Yes."

*Omicron Deaths in U.S. Exceed Delta’s Peak as Covid-19 Optimism Rises in Europe

https://www.wsj.com/articles/omicron-deaths-in-u-s-exceed-deltas-peak-as-covid-19-optimism-rises-in-europe-11643201653

January 26, 2022

**Covid-19 Vaccine Booster Shot Cuts Omicron Death Risk by 95%, U.K. Study Shows

The analysis was done for people 50 and older, the population at highest risk of severe illness and death

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-vaccine-booster-shot-cuts-omicron-death-risk-by-95-u-k-study-shows-11643302875

January 27, 2022

Edited by W. Niederhut

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve Thomas

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Benjamin Cole

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

Detroit has its own government, and to my knowledge, is not under attack from a foreign country...

Well, by this sentiment the US should be involved constantly, and expensively, and militarily in every corner of the globe, while Detroit rots.

Oh wait...that is what happened....

3 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

Detroit is doing fine, Ben. I'm not sure why you think otherwise.

I fear, Matt, that you are being somewhat churlish in your appraisal of Detroit – it still offers outstanding value as a city in which be homicided, raped, and/or relieved of surplus property, most notably the vehicular. 

I rely for my information on no less a source than that notorious far-right extremist, Detroit Police Chief James White , upon release of the city’s crime statistics in early January. He offered this reassuring quote in the course of his briefing to the city’s reptiles:

"The unfortunate reality is at some point in the next 30 days, I'll be talking about a heinous act in this community." 

We all need to have more faith in Detroit’s rich traditions of mayhem and butchery, and rather less in the governing Deep State-Dem junta.

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

Joni Mitchell Pulls Music from Spotify in a Stand With Neil Young Against COVID Misinformation

Joni Mitchell joins Neil Young in protest over Joe Rogan Spotify podcast - The Washington Post

January 29, 2022

To me this is cancel culture. 

9 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

I saw a meme yesterday, it said Young was the first in cancel culture to cancel himself. I think you're right, and TBH I love Neil Young's music. It's very much like the kid at the park who picks up his football that everyone else is using and goes home, because he is not getting his own way. 

Though Neil Young wrote three of my favourite songs – “After the Blackstone Deal,” “Heart of Hipgnosis” and “What did you do to my potatoes?” –  the fact is that there is no hypocrite like an ageing Canadian hippy.

There is much profanity in what follows, and the expose is all the better for it:

https://youtu.be/dTn9cHGPmUw

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

Paul,

To be honest, I know very little about Joe Rogan.  I did watch his recent interview of Oliver Stone, which was reasonably well done.   To his credit, Rogan had the decency to give Oliver Stone a voice.  And Rogan seems likeable.  He's no Dick Cavett, but at least he did some homework on JFK Revisited.

As for two of my favorite old hippies, Neil Young and Joni Mitchell, I'm sure that our right wing libertarian ideologues around here will agree that they have every right to refrain from doing business with a media corporation that has promoted COVID disinformation.  Right wing libertarians believe in "freedom" and individual rights, don't they? 🤥

The "cancel culture" that I am most concerned about in the U.S. right now is the right wing Republican censorship of the teaching of true American history in our schools.  It's like something out of N-A-Z-I Germany in the 1930s.  Only white nationalist mythology allowed!   Can't teach about the history of slavery, Jim Crow, our genocidal Manifest Destiny, and the confiscation of half of Mexico in the 19th century by jingoistic white slave owners.

Edited by W. Niederhut