The Education Forum

Olive Branches to Jeff Carter, & Robert Wheeler

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I wonder if they recorded any of his other songs at the time?  Mellow Yellow was catchy, Atlantis is trippy. I always liked sunshine superman and season of the witch. 

Jimmy Page played a subdued lead guitar part on Donovan's original Sunshine Superman recording from way back when.  (Nothing as Led Zeppelin-esque as the Hurdy Gurdy Man tracks.)

I only know that because I found a YouTube clip of an Albert Hall concert featuring old Donovan and Jimmy Page with white hair.

Incidentally, to go further out on this tangent about Hurdy Gurdy Man, here's a tune from the pre-punk rock era played on an actual hurdy gurdy-- a Medieval string instrument played by rotating a circular bow.

Dononvan had a string of hits,none were the same, all different styles, moods,  instrumentation and arrangements.  He did have a touch. He was on the Smothers Brothers a lot in the 60's.

"Electrical banana"-- I remember some friends and I heard a rumor and  smoked some  of the inside peel of a banana   trying to get high, but didn't feel anything.

Some interesting  visions from inside the writhing, belly buttoned Buttholes, Cliff!

10 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Dononvan had a string of hits,none were the same, all different styles, moods,  instrumentation and arrangements.  He did have a touch. He was on the Smothers Brothers a lot in the 60's.

"Electrical banana"-- I remember some friends and I heard a rumor and  smoked some  of the inside peel of a banana   trying to get high, but didn't feel anything.

Some interesting  visions from inside the writhing, belly buttoned Buttholes, Cliff!

Ah, yes... I had forgotten...   I, too, remember trying to smoke the inside of a banana peel with my friends back in the day, with lousy results.

The only thing worse was the time we tried to smoke some Rocky Mountain kinnikinnick, after someone told us that the Native Americans used it in their peace pipes.   😬

On 1/22/2021 at 7:22 PM, W. Niederhut said:

For some reason, I was never a big fan of the Quadrophenia album-- in contrast to Who's Next.

IMO, Who's Next ranks among the greatest rock albums in history for the high quality of the song writing, ensembles, (guitars, synthesizer, Entwhistle's horns, violin, etc.) and musicianship.  Every song was a masterpiece.

(I was also a big fan of Walter/Wendy Carlos's Switched-On Bach Moog synthesizer recordings at the time.)

What an outstanding, ground-breaking piece of work it was.

For the grand price of $1 American.... I saw the Who's Next tour at the Mississippi River Festival in 1971.  The venue was a tent put together by the Ringling Bros Barnum & Bailey tent gut in a natural amphitheater. 

They printed 10k tickets at $4 or $5 bucks then 40k people showed up for the Who.  Students at SIUE were taking tickets at the gate and just asked for a buck to stuff into their pockets to let you in.

Great show - great band live.  Second best value rock concert I ever saww.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never listened to Lady GaGa.  Stumbled across this.  She does wail in it.  Mick seems a bit flustered at one point.  Never seen him dance With someone like this on stage before.  Keith, Ron, Charlie, just another day at work.

Wanted to share somewhere.  She's pretty nimble in those heels.

On 2/20/2021 at 5:01 PM, Cliff Varnell said:

ahem..I say Cliff, this word "butthole" leaves  me rather flummoxed! Even more so the phrase 'Butthole surfing" though it does sound rather exhilarating indeed! Are these American colloquialisms?

Anyway, a bit back we did a bit of a Byrd a thon that was largely of the early Byrd Dylan folk era. Here's some later Byrds.

Hey where's Hugh?

I always liked the intro.

A little Byrd country action.

2 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

ahem..I say Cliff, this word "butthole" leaves  me rather flummoxed!

Punk rock, man.

Even more so the phrase 'Butthole surfing" though it does sound rather exhilarating indeed! Are these American colloquialisms?

They grow ‘em weird in Texas, what more can I say?

Maybe my all-time favorite live band.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I've never listened to Lady GaGa.  Stumbled across this.  She does wail in it.  Mick seems a bit flustered at one point.  Never seen him dance With someone like this on stage before.  Keith, Ron, Charlie, just another day at work.

Wanted to share somewhere.  She's pretty nimble in those heels.

On 11/14/2020 at 7:22 PM, Larry Hancock said:

Cliff, you beat me to it...I was just about to post Johnny Burnett with the Train Kept on Rolling - the Yardbirds did a great job with it too.

But if you want to see some heavy guitar work (and footwork as well) check this out:

THE KID WHO RECORDED THE FIRST PUNK ROCK RECORD (AND INFLUENCED SURF GUITAR)

https://pleasekillme.com/larry-collins/

9 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

Amazing, no idea that he had gone on to punk rock although I can certainly see him as an earlier driver for surf rock sounds (a much neglected genre in my own view).

“Whistle Bait” sounds more rockabilly to me, but I thought the article was a worthy analysis of “proto-punk.”

In my book this is the first punk rock performance given the snarly vocals, fast beat, short sharp guitar leads, and highly confrontational lyrics.

Did someone say, "Surf Rock?"

Now you guys are getting into a genre of great interest to me and my one man Peckerwoods studio band.

How about this cool Fender Strat opus from 1960?