The Education Forum

Olive Branches to Jeff Carter, & Robert Wheeler

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biden Watch

Tony Blinken, courtly guitar aficionado with interventionist streak

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/tony-blinken-courtly-guitar-aficionado-with-interventionist-streak/

<quote>

But Blinken, a deputy secretary of state during Barack Obama’s presidency, may show different instincts than Biden even while remaining loyal to him.

The stepson of a Holocaust survivor, Blinken has advocated interventions on humanitarian grounds while Biden as vice president was cautious on the use of force.

Blinken, a deputy secretary of state during Barack Obama’s presidency, may show different instincts than Biden even while remaining loyal to him.

The stepson of a Holocaust survivor, Blinken has advocated interventions on humanitarian grounds while Biden as vice president was cautious on the use of force.

“Superpowers don’t bluff,” Blinken was reported to have warned repeatedly in deliberations on Syria’s civil war, in which Obama issued warnings but ultimately decided for a limited role.

Speaking earlier this year about the “horrific” loss of life in Syria, Blinken said: “The last administration has to acknowledge that we failed — not for want of trying, but we failed.”

“It’s something that I will take with me for the rest of my days. It’s something that I feel very strongly,” he told CBS News.

Cliff already posted west coast band The Gun Club, some of my favorite stuff of the period.  It escaped me because it doesn't seem like Punk to me, more like Americana maudit for a Punk audience.  They even covered "Run Through the Jungle," changing the lyrics.  Not sure John Fogarty caught that.

Edited by David Andrews

Here was the gloria mundi of The Dream Syndicate, part of the "Paisley Underground" of neo-psychedelic bands, which took in a lot of thematic territory.  Genius guitarist Karl Precoda is an influential mathematician today.  Some of my favorite songs ever:

Edited by David Andrews

I think there was a year of my life where I listened almost exclusively to Gun Club, Dream Syndicate, and The Rain Parade.  Very talented Rain Parade and Mazzy Star founder David Roback died this year.  Not Punk, but neo-psychedelia with notes of Beatles, Byrds, Pink Floyd and Neil Young:

Edited by David Andrews

In 1980 Vancouver’s D.O.A. and Reno’s 7Seconds cofounded Hardcore Punk Rock as a thang.  Only they didn’t realize it.  They never took credit for it.  There was no “founding authority” in a genre proud of its defiance of authority.

I wonder if JFK ever thought, if I leave here tomorrow, would you till remember me.  A belated 11/22 reference.

https://youtu.be/fuZyMx2NXZM

You tube rules about a direct link.  Full screen is best!

Edited by Ron Bulman

Jim Foetus, a/k/a Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel. The dawn of Industrial in Punk:

Speaking of hose - Hose, the band.  I knew some of these guys at school.  Try the "You Sexy Thing" cover at 11:37:

In case you'd thought I'd gone soft with Paisley Underground.

Edited by David Andrews