The Education Forum

JFK Revisited: Through The Looking Glass

2 hours ago, Jim Hargrove said:

Thanks Jim.  If you can take a few minutes to scan what's below, can you suggest any updates or alterations?

III. COLLUSION OF THE FBI AND CIA

The FBI took Oswald off the watch list, managed by its “WANTED NOTICE” cards, at the same time a CIA cable gave him a clean bill of political health, just a couple of months after his New Orleans arrest for alleged violence in support of Communist Cuba and less than two months before the assassination. These two actions effectively took the federal spotlight off “Lee Harvey Oswald.”Wanted_Notice_Card.jpg

The WC didn’t even bother to depose the Division 5 guy (Gheesling) who ordered the FBI's flash cancellation. “Lee Harvey Oswald” had been on that list for nearly four years, since the “defection.” Now that he was taken off it, he’d no longer be under FBI and SS surveillance on 11/22.

At the very same time the FBI was taking “Lee Harvey Oswald” off the watch list, the CIA was publishing several confusing things about him. Responding to a query from the Mexico City station, four CIA officers signed a cable giving lots of accurate biographical data on our boy but calling him “Lee Henry Oswald.” The three page cable expressed no security concerns whatsoever about Oswald and, in fact, indicated the Moscow embassy felt “life in the Soviet Union had clearly had maturing effect on Oswald.” Nothing to worry about here!

This cable was signed by Jane Roman (Angleton’s assistant), William Hood (also close to Angleton), Thomas Karamessines (assistant to Helms) and John Whitten who, according to Jefferson Morley, was the only CIA officer of the four signers who suffered any adverse consequences for this troubling cable. John Armstrong believes that Angleton ran the Oswald Project.

Lee_Henry_Oswald_1.jpg

Lee_Henry_Oswald_2.jpg

At the same time the FBI was taking “Lee Harvey Oswald” off the watch list, the CIA was giving “Lee Henry Oswald” (biographical data mostly matching LHO’s official biography) a clean bill of political health in the infamous cable of 10/10/63 (see above).

It was now no longer officially necessary for the FBI to monitor “Oswald’s” activities in Dallas. And the Secret Service would no longer be expected to investigate him prior to a presidential visit to Dallas.

Although “Lee Harvey Oswald” had been arrested for a supposedly violent confrontation in support of Fidel Castro in New Orleans just two months earlier, the entire National Security apparatus of our Federal government now seemed to just stop worrying about him. What happened next, of course, has been documented by scores of writers and filmmakers for more than half a century.

“Lee Harvey Oswald,” or more likely someone who looked like him, began making all kinds of appearances in and around Dallas. These appearances were clearly designed to attract attention. Here are just some:

- - - - - - -

“Oswald” visits the Sports Drome Rifle Range on Oct. 26, Nov. 9, Nov. 10, and again on Nov. 17, several times creating a scene and once shooting at another guy's target;

On Nov. 2 “Oswald” visits Morgan's Gun Shop in Fort Worth.

Also on Nov. 2 “Oswald” visits the Downtown Lincoln Mercury dealership where he test drives a car at wrecklessly high speeds saying he would soon come into enough money to buy a new car.

On Nov. 6 or 7 “Oswald” visits the Irving Furniture Mart for a gun part and is referred to the shop where Dial Ryder works.

On Nov. 15, “Oswald” goes to the Southland Hotel parking garage (Allright Parking Systems) and applies for a job and asks how high the Southland Building is and if it had a good view of downtown Dallas.

On Nov. 20 “Oswald” hitch-hikes on the R.L. Thornton Expressway while carrying a 4 foot long package wrapped in brown paper and introduces himself to Ralph Yates as “Lee Harvey Oswald,” discusses the President's visit, and asks to be dropped across the street from the Texas School Book Depository (where Russian-speaking “Lee Harvey Oswald” is already working).

The set-up of “Lee Harvey Oswald” was almost complete. Could this have been accomplished if the FBI and the Secret Service hadn’t been put to sleep just a few weeks earlier?

Who was it that thought that the Harvey/Henry bit and some of the differences in descriptions of Oswald were "marked cards" that Angleton bled into his files to track leaks? I thought that was an interesting take. Forget who came up with that.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was I think Scott who did that.

His theory was that the discrepancies in the file and the whole Lee Henry thing was part of a search for Popov's mole.

In the long version of JFK Revisited, Newman discusses this.

Edited by James DiEugenio

13 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

That was I think Scott who did that.

His theory was that the discrepancies in the file and the whole Lee Henry thing was part os a search for Popov's mole.

In the long version of JFK Revisited, Newman discusses this.

I remember it was Bill Simpich who had a rather well developed theory on it although it may have originated with PD Scott. Made quite a bit of sense to me and I think Angleton's secretary (another name that's found an air bubble in my brain) may have been implementing it. Forgot it had to do with Popov. Geez. Sounds like a good script even if it's not the case. Maybe I'll write or pitch it hahaha!

Bob:

In the four hour version we go much more into Oswald's relationship with the CIA.

There is what I consider a bombshell disclosure by Doug Horne, which Oliver had to coax out of him.

But that disclosure combined with John Newman talking about Bagley and the routing of the Oswald file, I think those two are  convincing about Oswald being switched over from ONI to CIA for the defection.

4 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Bob:

In the four hour version we go much more into Oswald's relationship with the CIA.

There is what I consider a bombshell disclosure by Doug Horne, which Oliver had to coax out of him.

But that disclosure combined with John Newman talking about Bagley and the routing of the Oswald file, I think those two are  convincing about Oswald being switched over from ONI to CIA for the defection.

Cool. I'm really looking forward to the four hour. In the film it states the CIA had an office across from 544 Camp Street but I believe that was actually ONI. Maybe both? ONI is the one I wish there was more information from but I'm sure they destroyed anything of possible interest. They're the senior intelligence service and have been covering their tracks longer.

Yes I agree with that whole heartedly. 

The ARRB did not like talking about this, but they pretty much got stonewalled by the Pentagon.  I think Bill Kelly wrote a good article on that subject.  They actually cashiered someone in the Navy who was trying to cooperate with the Board.

3 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Yes I agree with that whole heartedly. 

The ARRB did not like talking about this, but they pretty much got stonewalled by the Pentagon.  I think Bill Kelly wrote a good article on that subject.  They actually cashiered someone in the Navy who was trying to cooperate with the Board.

Wish my Grandfather was still around although I know what he'd say if I asked him (he probably wouldn't have known anything but who knows?). He'd say "It's none of your cotton pickin' business"! Heard it a million times growing up. He was out by 58 or 59 I think.

Here it is. 

In retrospect, we should have mentioned this sore subject that has been pretty much ignored.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/openforum/article/Robert-F-Kennedy-Jr-Sirhan-Sirhan-didn-t-16686114.php

7 hours ago, Bob Ness said:

Cool. I'm really looking forward to the four hour. In the film it states the CIA had an office across from 544 Camp Street but I believe that was actually ONI. Maybe both? ONI is the one I wish there was more information from but I'm sure they destroyed anything of possible interest. They're the senior intelligence service and have been covering their tracks longer.

Bob I think your right about "both", but I can't remember where I read this.  I skimmed the indexes and a few pages in Destiny Betrayed and Contract On America.  No luck.

Actually what I think I remember was that the CIA, ONI and FBI all had offices in the New Orleans Post Office.  Where Oswald had a P O Box.  He would have a legitimate reason for going there.  I also remember reading of the FBI keeping their cars at the time at the Crescent City garage where Oswald hung out while working next door at the Riley Coffee Co behind the PO.  The front of the PO faced Lafayette Square.  As did the Newman building/Bannisters offices.  Down the street between them and around the corner were the Crescent and Riley's.

Wait a minute.  This could well be out of On the Trail of the Assassins.  It seems like Garrison might have had a bit of an epiphany at some point in his investigation looking across the street from the park when it all came together for him. I'll look maybe tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Bob I think your right about "both", but I can't remember where I read this.  I skimmed the indexes and a few pages in Destiny Betrayed and Contract On America.  No luck.

Actually what I think I remember was that the CIA, ONI and FBI all had offices in the New Orleans Post Office.  Where Oswald had a P O Box.  He would have a legitimate reason for going there.  I also remember reading of the FBI keeping their cars at the time at the Crescent City garage where Oswald hung out while working next door at the Riley Coffee Co behind the PO.  The front of the PO faced Lafayette Square.  As did the Newman building/Bannisters offices.  Down the street between them and around the corner were the Crescent and Riley's.

Wait a minute.  This could well be out of On the Trail of the Assassins.  It seems like Garrison might have had a bit of an epiphany at some point in his investigation looking across the street from the park when it all came together for him. I'll look maybe tomorrow. 

Bingo.  Not exactly the way I remembered.  Chapter 2, The Awakening.  He starts out with the New Orleans offices of the Secret Service in the PO, then ONI, CIA,FBI respectively.  It wasn't a walk in the park.  He recognized the closeness of 544 Camp Street, Riley, Crescent in relation to what he'd learned and went looking.  When he got there he had his Come to Jesus moment.

All just a little too convenient given the what is now known about what all else was going on in the small area in detail.  jmho

Just the Facts would make a helluva book.  The Summer of 63, New Orleans. 

Edited by Ron Bulman

13 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Bingo.  Not exactly the way I remembered.  Chapter 2, The Awakening.  He starts out with the New Orleans offices of the Secret Service in the PO, then ONI, CIA,FBI respectively.  It wasn't a walk in the park.  He recognized the closeness of 544 Camp Street, Riley, Crescent in relation to what he'd learned and went looking.  When he got there he had his Come to Jesus moment.

All just a little too convenient given the what is now known about what all else was going on in the small area in detail.  jmho

Just the Facts would make a helluva book.  The Summer of 63, New Orleans. 

Interesting Ron. What a neighborhood. Were they located there or was it just a PO Box? Either way I'm sure you couldn't spit on the sidewalk without hitting a spook of one kind or the other. I thought I had heard ONI had an office, not just a PO Box but I could be wrong.

Well, I was just on the biggest TV show and channel in Australia.

Now I am going to be on the biggest media network in Russia. Its called Izvestia.

Amazing what working with Oliver Stone does to your notoriety.

4 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Well, I was just on the biggest TV show and channel in Australia.

Now I am going to be on the biggest media network in Russia. Its called Izvestia.

Amazing what working with Oliver Stone does to your notoriety.

It's amazing what you did for Oliver Stone. 

Love the look, the polish, the music, the camera-work. All A+ in JFK Revisited.   

But without content....