The Education Forum

JFK Revisited: Through The Looking Glass

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the long four hour version, we spend more time on this. I think you can tell we snipped stuff on Indonesia and Nasser.

For example, Indonesia, we had Lisa Pease and Professor Brad Simpson,  the foremost American scholar on the 1965 overthrow, and how it was a result of Kennedy's murder.

Which indicates the whole coup d'etat aspect of it.  And we had Rakove and Muehlenbeck on Nasser and the Middle East.

But as much as the four hour version fills in, we still had to leave some very interesting stuff out, like Gochenaur and Henry Lee. That is why there will be a book of the film.

Edited by James DiEugenio

7 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

In the long four hour version, we spend more time on this. I think you can tell we snipped stuff on Indonesia and Nasser.

For example, Indonesia, we had Lisa Pease and Professor Brad Simpson,  the foremost American scholar on the 1965 overthrow, and how it was a result of Kennedy's murder.

Which indicates the whole coup d'etat aspect of it.  And we had Rakove and Muehlenbeck on Nasser and the Middle East.

But as much as the four hour version fills in, we still had to leave some very interesting stuff out, like Gochenaur and Henry Lee. That is why there will be a book of the film.

A book of the film? Excellent! Just like there was a book of the film for the JFK movie. I wonder: what ever became of Jane Rusconi?

Yes that is what it will be.

She never liked the movie business. She moved to Canada, got married and now trains their national equestrian team.

It seemed really intense, fast paced for a documentary, which was engaging for me.  The sometimes rare imagery, the interviews and comments of so many so relevant in the research and investigation of the assassination is stunning.  The amount of information presented in the time it was is as well.  Maybe overwhelming to those new to the details but I think it will leave them wanting to know more.

I really enjoyed hearing Malcom Perrys Washington State colleague and long time friend talk about asking him for years about the throat wound, said he wouldn't discuss it.  Then finally one day he said "it was unquestionably an entrance wound".

The video of Kilduff pointing to his right temple made me think.  I've seen it before but never thought about this . . .  If this video exists what happened to that of Perry saying entrance wound three times about the throat?  Didn't the SS deny its existence?  Did the news service quit filming the press conference after Kilduff quit speaking? 

Cyril Wecht did make me laugh out loud when he said Gerald Ford couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.

I want to re watch it, likely more than once, pausing it to think and discuss at points.  As others I look forward to the four hour version for even greater detail.  Thanks to all involved in making it happen.

Welcome Ron. 

That is a good point about Kilduff.  

BTW, I hope everyone noticed how sharp and bright the photography is.

Exceptional for a documentary.  It stands comparison with feature films.

Bob Richardson is a three time Oscar winner, who shot JFK for Oliver.

Somehow Oliver got him back for this and he requested these special cameras that can fulfill a transfer to 4k. 

They were expensive, but in seeing the film, I now know why he did it.

That cinematography is really a theater type of experience.

The cinematography was excellent, and I thought the reprises of John Williams' music from the original JFK was a very clever and effective move. It made the documentary feel like a natural evolution of that movie. The 4K cinematography and fresh presentation of the archival footage really brought things up to date, making it a modern movie suitable for the eyes of new audiences. Very impressed by the documentary.

I'm really happy to see this available to the general public on a venue like Showtime, for those of us who have access to it.  Nothing out there ever before even close to like it imo.

That said, I was really disappointed last Friday when I didn't see it on Showtimes main channel schedule.  My wife found it for me thankfully (she also found it very enlightening, asking questions while we watched, with grandkids coming in asking her other questions, iow interrupting my focus!). 

From a couple of links to articles I posted I thought the film was to premiere in prime time on Friday night on the Showtime main channel.  Excellent exposure.  I guess they weren't quite ready to go that far.  However, I'd like to commend Showtime for having the balls to show it at all.  A major venue, within the M$M.  That took courage in the world we live in.  It's Out There now for the world to see if they choose.  Thanks to Oliver Stone and his backers for making that possible, pursuing it.  And of course, again to Jim for writing it and all the others who participated. 

My children and grandchildren may never read many if any of my many books on the subject or this forum or others on it.  But I think my kids will watch this and in turn maybe the grandkids too.  That's important to me, that they learn True History (and how it affects them today and in the future).  Kudos to Showtime for showing it. 

18 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

I'm really happy to see this available to the general public on a venue like Showtime, for those of us who have access to it.  Nothing out there ever before even close to like it imo.

That said, I was really disappointed last Friday when I didn't see it on Showtimes main channel schedule.  My wife found it for me thankfully (she also found it very enlightening, asking questions while we watched, with grandkids coming in asking her other questions, iow interrupting my focus!). 

From a couple of links to articles I posted I thought the film was to premiere in prime time on Friday night on the Showtime main channel.  Excellent exposure.  I guess they weren't quite ready to go that far.  However, I'd like to commend Showtime for having the balls to show it at all.  A major venue, within the M$M.  That took courage in the world we live in.  It's Out There now for the world to see if they choose.  Thanks to Oliver Stone and his backers for making that possible, pursuing it.  And of course, again to Jim for writing it and all the others who participated. 

My children and grandchildren may never read many if any of my many books on the subject or this forum or others on it.  But I think my kids will watch this and in turn maybe the grandkids too.  That's important to me, that they learn True History (and how it affects them today and in the future).  Kudos to Showtime for showing it. 

Hi, Ron! It WILL be on regular Showtime for the whole world to see 11/22/2021 [last Friday was streaming and Amazon Prime only] and on DVD and BLU RAY in February 2022 (including the FOUR HOUR version)!

47 minutes ago, Vince Palamara said:

Hi, Ron! It WILL be on regular Showtime for the whole world to see 11/22/2021 [last Friday was streaming and Amazon Prime only] and on DVD and BLU RAY in February 2022 (including the FOUR HOUR version)!

So I was privileged to a preview of the featured world wide premier on the anniversary of the Assassination?   I feel honored to be aware of it so my wife to could find it for me!  I'm glad to hear this.  It will draw more attention to it. 

Is there any more exposure or promotion of it?  By Showtime, or anyone else?  It would be (almost past?) time for such.  Maybe not.  A full page ad in the NYT and Wapo would be cool, paid for by last minute supporters.  But would either run it for how many millions, even a few billion?

At the moment I find it mentioned on collider.com, broadwayworld and by Roger Ebert.  Could Oliver call in a small favor or two still? 

Edited by Ron Bulman

Oliver will be doing a publicity tour for the film shortly.

One stop will I think be the Joe Rogan show.  That guy has an amazing number for an audience.

Have  you seen one?  I don't watch TV