The Education Forum

RARE: Dr. Robert Shaw against the single bullet theory 4/21/1977 Kennedy assassination (JFK)

Great clip.

Dr. Shaw, a most impressive individual, had operated on hundreds of bullet and shrapnel wounds himself, during WWII.

He believed Gov. Connally had been struck by a separate shot from the two bullets that struck JFK. 

Shaw even held open the possibility that Connally's "dorsal" wrist wound had been delivered by yet another projectile, as it is difficult to explain how a bullet passed through Connally's chest and then entered the dorsal (wristwatch) side of Connally's wrist. 

Connally and his wife, of course, insisted there had been three separate strikes on JFK, then JBC, then JFK. 

Connally told the HSCA:

Connally: I was knocked over, just doubled over by the force of the bullet. It went in my back and came out my chest about 2 inches below and the left of my right nipple. The force of the bullet drove my body over almost double and when I looked, immediately I could see I was just drenched with blood. 

If you watch the Z film, this pushing forward of JBC happens around Z-295, or about one second before Z-313. 

Obviously, a lone gunman armed with a single-shot bolt-action rifle could not have fired so quickly. 

To me, this is conclusive. 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

6 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Great clip.

Dr. Shaw, a most impressive individual, had operated on hundreds of bullet and shrapnel wounds himself, during WWII.

He believed Gov. Connally had been struck by a separate shot from the two bullets that struck JFK. 

Shaw even held open the possibility that Connally's "dorsal" wrist wound had been delivered by yet another projectile, as it is difficult to explain how a bullet passed through Connally's chest and then entered the dorsal (wristwatch) side of Connally's wrist. 

Connally and his wife, of course, insisted there had been three separate strikes on JFK, then JBC, then JFK. 

Connally told the HSCA:

Connally: I was knocked over, just doubled over by the force of the bullet. It went in my back and came out my chest about 2 inches below and the left of my right nipple. The force of the bullet drove my body over almost double and when I looked, immediately I could see I was just drenched with blood. 

If you watch the Z film, this pushing forward of JBC happens around Z-295, or about one second before Z-313. 

Obviously, a long gunman armed with a single-shot bolt-action rifle could not have fired so quickly. 

To me, this is conclusive. 

Thanks! Good comment.

On 1/25/2022 at 9:46 PM, Benjamin Cole said:

The alterationists did try their best with Connally, trying to make the SBT work on film.

ConnallyZapruderStolley.gif

According to the British magazine Today, February 1964, Dr. Shaw wrote the following to reporter Larry Ross: “The first bullet struck the President in the back of the neck at the region of the second thoracic vertebrae and emerged from the front of his neck, piercing his trachea. The third bullet struck the President on the left side of the head in the region of the left temporal region and made a large wound of exit on the right side of the head” (Link link 2).

On 1/28/2022 at 4:33 PM, Micah Mileto said:

According to the British magazine Today, February 1964, Dr. Shaw wrote the following to reporter Larry Ross: “The first bullet struck the President in the back of the neck at the region of the second thoracic vertebrae and emerged from the front of his neck, piercing his trachea. The third bullet struck the President on the left side of the head in the region of the left temporal region and made a large wound of exit on the right side of the head (Link link 2).

Micah M.,

You are a great compiler of left temple wound witnesses. I am now up to 16 I can remember off the top of my head. These Dr R. R. Shaw links you provide I have never seen before. Early 1964 is fresh in his memory.

This is only the second witness I know of who put two and two together that the left temple entrance bullet was responsible for the large blowout in the right occiput. (Though Dr. David Stewart and a few others came very close.) The other witness is the mysterious Hugh Huggins/Howell, supposedly from the CIA whom, supposedly, Bobby Kennedy sent to see what was going on. The best compilation of HH's testimony I have seen is in Vincent Palamara's JFK from Parkland to Bethesda: The Ultimate Kennedy Assassination Compilation. On pp.86-87 are three references to Mr. Huggins' witnessings. In a.: "...entry wound to the left temple. To my knowledge, only two other people beside myself have admitted to seeing this wound.[Actually, many witnesses had admitted to seeing this wound at this point. They just hadn't been compiled.] ...exited the right side of the president's head, blowing out a section of skull and obscuring the entry wound of a second bullet that struck him from the right front almost simultaneously."

In b., "Mr. Bartlett...recalled conversing...with a man fitting Hugh Howell's description....a short man with a crewcut who identified himself in that capacity [CIA], and I do believe he said his name was Howell."

Many researchers find it hard to reconcile a left temple entrance-right occipital exit (i.e., coming from the South Knoll direction)-----with the violent back and LEFT movement seen in Zapruder. But here's an explanation: the left temple bullet went in and out so cleanly that it imparted little force to the large mass of the head. JFK was hit almost simultaneously with a FRANGIBLE from the right front, the North Knoll, which imparted a lot of force to the head.

Also the Z-film is so obviously messed with at this point, ~310 to 330 (or ~300 to 320, I forget which), mostly removed frames IMHO. What was it around this area Chris Davidson figured? An average of 3 removed out of every 4 frames in this area? Which makes the limo NOT appear to slow drastically.

Edited by Roy Wieselquist
spellign, unsure where most Z frames excised

1 hour ago, Roy Wieselquist said:

But here's an explanation: the left temple bullet went in and out so cleanly that it imparted little force to the large mass of the head. JFK was hit almost simultaneously with a FRANGIBLE from the right front, the North Knoll, which imparted a lot of force to the head.

I completely agree with this and have thought so for a couple of years.  I believe Mantik and Horne do too.

On 1/29/2022 at 3:53 PM, Pat Speer said:

It should be pointed out that Shaw never saw Kennedy's body and was repeating what he thought he heard from someone else. 

Pat, very true. Dr. Shaw worked on Connally the whole time. About that, my favorite observation by Shaw, "...the wound he saw on Connally's back was not that of a tumbling bullet or of a bullet that had struck anything else before striking Connally. He insisted it was a clean, round wound of entry----very small." 

Note the precision with which the Parkland doctors described the wounds to each other. As Dr. Marion "Pepper" Jenkins said, "...a wound on the left temporal area, right in the hairline and right above the zygomatic process." (Palamara JFK from Parkland to Bethesda, p.12) The zygomatic process is that bone juncture in front of the lower ear that scrunches up when you clench your teeth. So, looking at the ear straight on, the wound would be around 10 o'clock and 2" away from the edge of the ear.

I figure Dr. Shaw heard many such descriptions in the doctors' lounge, and put together a pretty good picture of JFK's head wounds, especially the left temple wound.

Edited by Roy Wieselquist
more precise

For purposes of clarity: 

Zygomatic Process

The zygomatic processes are three processes (protrusions) from other bones of the skull which each articulate with the zygomatic bone. The term zygomatic derives from the Greek Ζυγόμα, zygoma, meaning "yoke". The zygomatic process is occasionally referred to as the zygoma, but this term usually refers to the zygomatic bone or occasionally the zygomatic arch.

Zygomatic-bone.jpg

and,

zygomatic-arch.jpg

and,

kennedy-head-wound-frontal.jpg

Edited by John Butler

While we are discussing “clarity”…

“Connally: I was knocked over, just doubled over by the force of the bullet… The force of the bullet drove my body over almost double…”

This, of course, is impossible [unless we are on the set of a Hollywood movie]. If one is to concede that John Connally’s thoracic wounding was as a result of impact from a 6.5mm Mannlicher Carcano bullet manufactured by the Western Cartridge Company of East Alton, Illinois, the mass of the bullet component of this cartridge simply is insufficient to generate enough momentum to “knock” a human body, which is tens of thousands of times heavier than the bullet, “over” in any direction. As most eloquently explained to me several years ago by the late Tom Purvis, no stranger to bullets and their capabilities to wound and kill, a bullet is a streamlined object, even one with a rounded nose like 6.5mm WCC ammunition. This specific bullet, like others, is designed to minimize the effect of aerodynamic drag, the advantage being that this design, in turn, concentrates a fairly large amount of “high” kinetic energy because of its speed onto a very small area with pressure facilitating penetration of the surface struck [in most cases, but in particular when it comes to human flesh]. Other factors to be considered is the caliber, “size’ and grain weight of the bullet, the length of the barrel, the distance from the barrel of the object struck [in this case, John Connally] and where precisely the target [Connally] was hit. In the case of the Connally thoracic wound, and as described by Robert Shaw, it was a tunneling wound with the impacting missile traveling just under the surface of the skin until such time it struck, tangentially, the governor’s fifth rib at approximately its midpoint, before exiting with impact debris from the front of the chest just below the right nipple. That being the truth of the matter, there is no way possible that this same bullet knocked John Connally over “double” – the math will not work.

A 6.5mm WCC bullet has an average grain weight of approximately 161 grains. This equates to 0.368 ounces, which in turn equates to 0.023 lbs. John Connally was 6 feet, 2 inches tall, and weight in excess of 200 lbs. FWIW

Gary Murr