The Education Forum

A Statement Regarding the Future of the Forum

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, James R Gordon said:

I have no intention of resigning and I bitterly regret that my responses have given rise to such speculation.

The ownership of the EF will remain with the present admin team.

I have to admit.. this thread is mighty confusing. James, am I clear that "the present admin team" would continue to "own" this forum even if another member who isn't part of said team becomes responsible for handling all the financial aspects of keeping it up and running?

Jonathan,

That is correct.

Further I and the admin tean have the sole contract with Invision for the EF. While that is the case no other individual/s would be able to create an agreement with Invision regarding the EF while we have the  contract with Invision.  Only the admin team have the contract with Invision.

James.

On 8/3/2022 at 3:01 PM, Mark Knight said:

The Paypal account sounds like a great idea. We need one person to manage it for The Education Forum, but not to have income for the EF to show up as personal income for tax purposes.

In Indiana, where I live, you can start a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation for a $50 filing fee. The corporation must have at least 3 directors, and a street address as a registered office within the State of Indiana.

Here are the procedures: ttps://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/forming-nonprofit-corporation-indiana-36062.html#:~:text=You%20will%20need%20to%20create%20and%20file%20nonprofit,articles.%20Or%2C%20you%20can%20file%20your%20articles%20online.

The current administrators can become the Board of Directors in the nonprofit corporation. That would likely be the quickest route to achieving incorporation, obtaining an EIN to open a business bank account, and getting the future of the Education Forum settled.

If someone has a better idea, I'm open to hearing it. But it seems a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation would be the route to pursue. But we need to do it quickly, if we're going to do it.

Still the best way to proceed, given Mark's later comment about qualifying as such as an education forum? Also given the exchange rate and tax elimination?

Cory Santos has commented, offering in essence a disclaimer of legal advice and suggestion I believe of seeking a tax attorney for guidance.  I wonder if members Bill Simpich, Lawrence Schnafp or Bob Ness might care to comment on the subject, possibly offer legal advice or even set it up, pro bono?  I believe all have some legal expertise, maybe not in this field but I think this is pretty basic for most non ambulance chasers. 

On 8/6/2022 at 3:35 PM, James R Gordon said:

Sabdy,

As I explained to you my paypal account is a collection account.

It was Invision who said the monthy subscription could be linked and the monthly payment could be taken from that account.

I never linked my paypal account I linked the bank account.

James

James,

Okay, I take it then that after the money is collected through PayPal, it is then transferred to a bank account, and then to Invision. That makes sense.

Thanks!

James,

I  believe that the proper/ideal way of handling this problem would be to set up the Education Forum as a non-profit organization, and to set up a PayPal account owned by the organization.

The advice of a lawyer or someone with similar experience would be required to do this.

On the other hand, having now studied this problem carefully, I am now confident in saying that this can be done in another way that doesn't involve setting up a non-profit organization. And doesn't require legal advice.

I have found a straightforward way of allowing a person -- any person... forum owner or not, admin member or not, forum member or not -- to set up a fully automated system for collecting donations for EF and making the monthly payments to Invision. The only thing that needs to be done after the system is set up is to periodically monitor the account balance and call for donations when the balance drops below some given amount.

In fact, even without your permission I could set up such a system, ask for donations, and have the donations automatically sent to your account with Invision. (Not that I would do such a thing. I just want to show you how independent this payment system is of you and the forum account.)

There is one downside to this system. The owner of the system could one day decide to remove all the money from it. For that reason, it would be be necessary to choose wisely who should be the official payment-system owner. You must trust this person.

I will briefly describe the system in my next post.

Creation of a Forum Donation & Payment System

1. Open an e-mail account that will be used by PayPal to collect donations. For example, EFDonations@gmail.com.
  2. Open a PayPal account and specify that e-mail address EFDonations@gmail.com will be used to collect donations.
  3. Open an online checking account, one that is free, has no monthly minimum balances, and supports online bill paying.  (I like Ally Bank.)
  4. Create a link between the PayPal account and checking account. Set up an automatic transfer order that transfers all money from the PayPal account to the checking account.
  5. Set up a monthly bill payment in the checking account to transfer the monthly amount due to Invision.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

Thanks Sandy that is very interesting.

The admin team are already thinking this way. That said the present system appears to work.

Through the present donation drive we have collected just under $300. Twenty seven people have participated and two members donated $100 each.

Had it not been stipulated that donations be $5 the sum might well have been larger.

Essentially I read this to suggest that we already have a working model and maybe we should stay with that - at least for the present.

James.

1 hour ago, James R Gordon said:

Through the present donation drive we have collected just under $300. Twenty seven people have participated and two members donated $100 each.

Had it not been stipulated that donations be $5 the sum might well have been larger.

27-2 = 25

$25 x 5 =$125 + 100 +100 =$325

Sounds like you don't expect some, among those $5 contributors, to give a more substantial donation after the financial overseer position is in place.

I thought it rather obvious by the earlier responses, a certain number of forum members had already pledged more than $5,but have chosen to remain patient.

The reason for the $5 cap was stated.

You originally informed us we didn't have a September payment available.

Preliminarily, depending on what math is being used, there is enough to cover September without the latest, generous $100 contributions.

Thanks for announcing the totals, once again, before the requested deadline, which you recently stated you wouldn't.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:27 PM, Kathy Beckett said:

I think we'd go to adverts before that. 

I am just really surprised at what you say.  I think it is more than just Forum funding

Well, that is what we are trying to ascertain, how many people are currently willing to donate/ have donated. You and at least one other, are not contributing because it isnt flowing your way as yet. So why complain about paying for gas? 

I am vehemently opposed to pay to play. And you saw that the owner if, we went to that, may have IRS problems, or have to set up as a business? We don't want this to be an unnecessary hardship.

I would think folk would want to keep it going because it means something.

Regarding advertising, another non assassination site I visit (about sixman football) used to use a non offensive type which occupied a small portion of the home page.  It wasn't a rolling in your face constant barrage.  Ad's changed every hour or so and they were for clothes, tools etc.  Not political or about other less desirable content.

I still think the forum can be maintained with a yearly pledge drive.

2 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I agree. I believe that if James or any of the admin says it's time for donations, that's all that would be needed to collect enough for another year or two.

Exactly...

So do I.

On 8/9/2022 at 6:54 PM, Sandy Larsen said:

I agree. I believe that if James or any of the admin says it's time for donations, that's all that would be needed to collect enough for another year or two.

Sandy,

I think most of us agree with you on this sentiment.

But, there is enough money (using only the $5 contributions) to pay for September. Before we start the larger donation drive(hopefully), I encourage the Admins to select the new financial overseer and set up all elements related to payment methods first.

7 hours ago, Chris Davidson said:

...there is enough money (using only the $5 contributions) to pay for September. Before we start the larger donation drive (hopefully), I encourage the Admins to select the new financial overseer and set up all elements related to payment methods first.

If and when the forum financial system is switched to another overseer is up to the forum admin. If James feels that he is okay with that task, and that all he needs to do is call for donations in order to finance the forum, then he can continue to use his system.

The new system can be developed at any time and can be done without interfering with James' system. Once the new system is completed, a quick transition can take place.

The new system will provide two advantages over the current system. First, it will result in saving currency exchange fees in both directions (US Dollars to GB Pounds, then GB Pounds to US Dollars). (Of course, this is the case only for American donors.) Second, it will release James from the financial responsibilities. Though he can still be the one who calls for donations if he wants.