The Education Forum

To the members from Great Britain

Steve Thomas

7 hours ago, Mart Hall said:

The Queen met all the Presidents of the United States from Trueman to Biden, with the exception of one.

LBJ, which I’m guessing was due to the war in Vietnam. 

78F54BDA-DF9F-4CEA-A309-373DDEC6A47C.jpeg

Condolences.

My wife's grand parents emigrated from England on her mom's side and Scotland on her father's side.

Just gotta say though, JFK and Jackie look more attractive and maybe even regal than Liz and Phillip in the above picture imo.

Let's admit it- JFK and Jackie were "our own" royal couple from 1961 through 11,22,1963.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

For an American it's quite an odd thing for a democracy to have a king or queen.

History and tradition Sandy.  Anglorum Rex has been a title since Anglo-Saxon times, begun with Athelstan in the 10thC. + we are not alone in Europe with democratic monarchies.  Our democratic monarchy in its infancy can be traced back to the so called 'English Civil War' when we beheaded King Charles I.

The Queen seemed to be so nice and even down to earth. I think that most Americans who paid attention loved or liked her.

Agree. For a reign of 70 years, it is difficult to put fault on her service & I think most Brits also loved or liked her.

I don't think that Americans are awfully fond of Charles. Not that I understood the situation well, but I always felt sorry for Princess Diana. And I admit that, at my young age then, I had a bit of a crush on her. Woo-hoo!

I think Charles told porkies about his failed marriage to Diana.  He was playing away with Camila during his marriage with Diana.  I also have very strong suspicions about the so called 'accident' in Paris in '97.  (Australian researcher John Morgan has a massive work on Kindle covering this.)  The inquest into her death wasn't held until around a decade after her death, which can be compared to the Warren Omission on the JFK case.  Accident caused by a drunk driver being chased by paparazzi it was not.  Perhaps the lowest point of Elizabeth's reign, and a much-loved princess.

The reason Americans liked Queen Elizabeth II was that she was poised and dignified. She was a class act.

On the other hand, this is what Americans have been forced to deal with over the last 70 years:

“It’s clearly a budget. It’s got lots of numbers in it.”
- George W. Bush -

“I did not nave sexual relations with that woman.”

- Bill Clinton -

“I could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and not lose any votes”

- Donald Trump -

“"People have got to know whether or not their president is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook.”

- Richard Nixon -

“"Grab them by the pussy." "You can do anything."

- Donald Trump -

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."

- Dan Quayle -

"Well, I learned a lot...I went down to (Latin America) to find out from them and (learn) their views. You'd be surprised. They're all individual countries."

- Ronald Reagan -

"I was under medication when I made the decision to burn the tapes."

- Richard Nixon -

"Go f**k yourself."

- Dick Cheney -

Steve Thomas

6 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

The reason Americans liked Queen Elizabeth II was that she was poised and dignified. She was a class act.

On the other hand, this is what Americans have been forced to deal with over the last 70 years:

“It’s clearly a budget. It’s got lots of numbers in it.”
- George W. Bush -

“I did not nave sexual relations with that woman.”

- Bill Clinton -

“I could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and not lose any votes”

- Donald Trump -

“"People have got to know whether or not their president is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook.”

- Richard Nixon -

“"Grab them by the pussy." "You can do anything."

- Donald Trump -

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."

- Dan Quayle -

"Well, I learned a lot...I went down to (Latin America) to find out from them and (learn) their views. You'd be surprised. They're all individual countries."

- Ronald Reagan -

"I was under medication when I made the decision to burn the tapes."

- Richard Nixon -

"Go f**k yourself."

- Dick Cheney -

Steve Thomas

Much better PR. The crux of it is that if the monarch isn’t dignified and setting an example, there would be a referendum/nation ceasing to feel they need a monarch. ie the monarch is vulnerable. 

I totally understand what Americans admire. I think JFK and Jackie outwardly appeared as a class act. It gave the nation so much pride.

16 hours ago, Henry Frost said:

When you think you're so edgy and cool:

index.jpg.e1471f8e69a19f9d71ac617c4c957a6a.jpg

When your name goes on a MI5 or GCHQ watch list for threatening the Royal Family online:

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11_02.15_AM.png.199aaecd2a83b7f80074e281570713e6.png

No attempt to be edgy just a reminder there are  lots of us who are not in favour of having a monarchy . You wont hear that though because at the moment the UK media is the equivalent of North Korea 

For those of us in the Commonwealth countries, the Queen's passing will be felt greatly by many of us over the age of 50. 

She was respected and admired for her service to our countries. I think many of our Australian citizens born in the mid 80,s onwards have little to no admiration or true knowledge as to history of our Queen. Schools stopped promoting the idea/history of the Commonwealth and the Monarchy in the late 80's to early 90's. Most people here under 30 wouldn't be able to tell you the first name of the Queen's children and grand children today. Most wouldn't even know what the royal family surname was...

But for those of us who went to school in the 50's 60's and 70's the royal family and the history of the Commonwealth was taught and discussed regularly in class, most classrooms had a picture of the Queen, the school admin buildings and school libraries always did. Members of the royal family coming to Australia was a major event.

So to my Queen,  whom i actually got to see close up several times at events, the only Queen I will ever know, i say here...

"Farewell ma'am, we will sadly never see your like again. May you rest in peace".

A.J

It's interesting, as an American, to hear the opinions of British and Commonwealth citizens about the monarchy.

The U.S. was established by rebellion against the British crown and, as a lifelong student of American history and culture, I think that has been a mixed bag.  In many ways, we Americans are far less civilized than the Brits and citizens of Commonwealth nations.  Look at our gun homicide rates, for example!

Americans have always been hostile to authority and to many of the admirable traditions of British civilization.

In our colonies, and on our frontier, this often took the form of hostility to learning, education, and the high church traditions-- what historian Richard Hofstadter later described as "anti-intellectualism in American life."  We threw the baby out with the bath water, as it were.

Consider also that the British Empire abolished slavery well before it was finally abolished in the American Southern states after the Civil War.  We are still struggling with the legacy of slavery, Jim Crow, gun culture, and latent white supremacist fascism.

I have often thought about moving to Vancouver or Victoria but, the last time I visited, every other vehicle was a Mercedes driven by an emigre from Hong Kong.

Anyway, not to be too long-winded...

God bless Queen Elizabeth.

Long live the King.

Edited by W. Niederhut

As an Irishman I have to acknowledge that Queen Elizabeth II was a class act (in more ways than one). For 70 years she fulfilled her role with dignity, decorum and discretion. May she rest in peace.

However, it must not be forgotten that since monarchy epitomises and reinforces inequality, hierarchy and unearned privilege, it is the antithesis of democracy, the fundamental principle of which is equality.

Monarchy has no place in a proper democracy.

On 9/9/2022 at 12:49 PM, Henry Frost said:

qeii_jfk.jpg.1e8bc3b74ae69133503c748b4b8bf65a.jpg

Beautiful photo. Thank you!

I am watching the Queen's coffin making its way to Edinburgh.  Not only is that where I saw her, long ago, but my digs were not far from Holyrood Palace.  I would make my way down a big hill from Calton Terrace with Holyrood in sight and then head up the Royal Mile to classes...a little verchlempft right now...

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-62866826

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/queen-elizabeth-ii-coffin-balmoral-scotland-london/

Edited by Pamela Brown

I find this fascinating.  I never knew about the Queen's ties to Scotland.

My great, great . . . grandfather George Bulman was born in Scotland in 1729.  He and family sailed from Newcastle on the Tyne in England in 1775 on the Georgia Packet to Georgia, North America.  As an indentured servant (a carpenter) to the Capitan, for whom he built a house that still stands as a state historical monument.  He disappeared as a calvary private in the revolutionary war.

May the Queen rest in peace.

Queen’s Ties to Scotland Add New Wrinkle to Push for Independence (msn.com)

Edited by Ron Bulman

On 9/11/2022 at 2:42 AM, John Cotter said:

However, it must not be forgotten that since monarchy epitomises and reinforces inequality, hierarchy and unearned privilege, it is the antithesis of democracy, the fundamental principle of which is equality.

'Equality' I spoke the word as if a wedding vow. Ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. 

1 hour ago, Pete Mellor said:

'Equality' I spoke the word as if a wedding vow. Ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. 

As he said himself, Bob was “a song and dance man” rather than a political theorist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlmM8IWwYqM

It was always attractive to me to see and listen to King's English speaking British actors in film. 

Why is that?

Why do they seem more educated, intelligent and refined than most regular Americans?

Example: " I dare say you've had quite the extraordinary experience my dear fellow. And a rather quaintly charming one at that chap.

God save the Queen! Here, here!

I imagined that even their regular waking up in the morning manner of speaking was Shakespearian. 

Ah, fair maiden servant I beseech you...To thine own self be true,  shall I choose my morning eggs ... to be scrambled or not to be scrambled...that is the question."

The American manner of speaking: 

Hey babe...how's about some eggs and bacon ovas here ... and don't burn the toast this time huh?

Yes, the English banned slavery before everyone else.

And they have also banned Pit Bull dogs.

Illegal to own them.

Too many animals and human lives lost due to their savagery.

Edited by Joe Bauer