The Education Forum

What Did JFK Do that Caused Certain Powerful People to Have Him Killed?

Rather than ask what the conspirators' motives were, I thought I'd approach the issue from a different angle: What did JFK do that caused certain powerful people to conspire to have him killed? Here is my list of JFK's actions that led to his death:

-- His refusal to send in American forces to support the Bay of Pigs invasion.

-- His refusal to authorize a preemptive nuclear strike against the Soviet Union during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

-- His refusal to attack Cuba during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

-- His firing of Allen Dulles and his attempt to reduce the power and scope of the CIA.

-- His war on the Mafia.

I think these were the main actions that enraged the conspirators to the point that they decided to have him killed. I suspect there were a number of other reasons, but I think these were the main ones.

I used to include in this list JFK's refusal to intervene in Laos, his opposition to sending regular combat troops to South Vietnam, and his conditional plan to withdraw most/all American advisors from South Vietnam by late 1965, but I'm no longer convinced that these actions were as objectionable to the conspirators as the actions listed above. I believe that some of the conspirators cared little or nothing about our Vietnam policy, although some others probably cared a great deal about it.

Edited by Michael Griffith
It's classified!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

Rather than ask what the conspirators' motives were, I thought I'd approach the issue from a different angle: What did JFK do that caused certain powerful people to conspire to have him killed? Here is my list of JFK's actions that led to his death:

-- His refusal to authorize a preemptive nuclear strike against the Soviet Union during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

-- His firing of Allen Dulles and his attempt to reduce the power and scope of the CIA.

-- His war on the Mafia.

I think these were the main actions that enraged the conspirators to the point that they decided to have him killed. I suspect there were a number of other reasons, but I think these were the main ones.

I used to include in this list JFK's refusal to intervene in Laos, his opposition to sending regular combat troops to South Vietnam, and his conditional plan to withdraw most/all American advisors from South Vietnam by late 1965, but I'm no longer convinced that these actions were as objectionable to the conspirators as the actions listed above. I believe that some of the conspirators cared little or nothing about our Vietnam policy, although some others probably cared a great deal about it.

NSAM 263 was an obvious culprit-- suspiciously reversed by LBJ, McGeorge Bundy, et.al., within a few days of JFK's murder, by NSAM 273.

And let's not forget about Allen Dulles and Indonesia.

Destiny Betrayed describes that history quite cogently. James DiEugenio, Fletcher Prouty, John Newman, Peter Dale Scott, et.al., have made a very clear case for foreign policy reversals resulting from 11/22/63.

What's truly amazing to contemplate is the highly successful, multi-year cover up of the truth about those post-JFK foreign policy reversals by LBJ and the Mockingbird mainstream media-- involving everyone from David Halberstam to Ken Burns.  

Edited by W. Niederhut

He betrayed his class. His ideas were putting the brakes on US neo-colonialism in favour of peace accords, detente’s and rapprochement's. He wasn’t afraid to go against the very wealthy industrialists, military industrial complex or CIA. 

I think James Douglas writes in his book The Unspeakable, about JFK’s thoughts on Seven Day’s in May. After reading JFK concluded that a coup d’etat was possible in America, and that it would take three significant events or clashes to create the conditions for it. 

(If someone has the exact text, please paste it correcting mine). 

1 - Steel Crisis - Defies Wall Street.  

2 - Bay of Pigs - Defies CIA.

3 - Cuban Missile Crisis - Defies generals.

4 - Vietnam - Signs NSAM263 - Withdrawal from Vietnam by 1965.

Thats four but, I am sure we could get into more. 

1 hour ago, Joseph McBride said:

Indira Gandhi, herself later a victim of assassination,

said it best: Kennedy "died because he lost the support of his peers."

Really? Interesting.

Who were JFK's main peers?

Dulles, Hoover, the Joint Chiefs?

3 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

-- His war on the Mafia.

I would add to that:

Plan to end Vietnam commitment.

Test Ban Treaty

Wheat sale to Russia

Ending Cold War

Promise not to invade Cuba

54 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

NSAM 263 was an obvious culprit-- suspiciously reversed by LBJ, McGeorge Bundy, et.al., within a few days of JFK's murder, by NSAM 273.

And let's not forget about Allen Dulles and Indonesia.

Destiny Betrayed describes that history quite cogently. James DiEugenio, Fletcher Prouty, John Newman, Peter Dale Scott, et.al., have made a very clear case for foreign policy reversals resulting from 11/22/63.

What's truly amazing to contemplate is the highly successful, multi-year cover up of the truth about those post-JFK foreign policy reversals by LBJ and the Mockingbird mainstream media-- involving everyone from David Halberstam to Ken Burns.  

American University Peace speech.

Limited Test Ban Treaty.

Using what he thought were back channel/secret methods to seek peace-rapprochement-dente with Khrushchev and Castro.

Pissing off the corporate owners and boards of the steel industry.

Pissing off the Federal Reserve by printing US backed money (which stopped with his death).

Refusing to commit troops to Laos.

Letting it be known beyond NSAM 263 through his demands of Mc Namara for an accelerated withdrawal plan for Vietnam as well as other actions in this vein (sending Galbraith to Vietnam, telling "confidants" of his intention to get out after the 1964 election). 

The increase in American involvement in Vietnam and the resulting feeding of the Military-Industrial complex is a compelling motive. "Follow the money" is a time-tested investigative technique that I wouldn't dismiss out of hand.

Blowback from the failed Bay of Pigs invasion is also a possible motive with some circumstantial evidence supporting it.

I personally think it may be just as simple as the Dulles brothers out of control. If Allen Dulles would authorize the assassination of the leader of a major allied country like France, why would we assume that some previously undetected sense of morality would prevent him from initiating a hit on the leader of his own country? Especially the guy who fired and humiliated him?

And being, to my knowledge, the only person who lobbied to get on the Warren Commission, is in my view like a criminal returning to the scene of a crime. What power one must feel being able to control the investigation into the person that you had killed?

Who knows? I definitely do think that many, if not most, of everyone knowingly involved in the assassination plot felt they were ultimately doing their patriotic duty.

Edited by Denny Zartman

Here you go.  I shared the stage with Peter Scott on this site.  Which is fine with me, although I don't think he knows that.

https://www.larsschall.com/2022/09/29/jfk-revisited-the-main-factor-in-his-murder-was-his-reformist-foreign-policy-ventures/

I'm giving thought to an aspect of the mind sets of the highest power enemies of JFK.

I suspect 98% of even intelligent history interested Americans may not have ever adequately contemplated nor understood the full psychological scope mind sets of Allan Dulles, J.Edgar Hoover, LBJ, The joint chiefs, wealthiest oil barons, and even long term Mafia bosses. Others like the Rockefellers, John McCloy, etc.

Before young JFK was even a Congressman most of these power men above had already had enormous power, wealth and influence bestowed upon them. For decades and in some ways equal to presidents.

Dulles ( and later Helms ) ruled a fiefdom that was even beyond the oversight of the federal executive and legislative branches.

Using national security as an excuse for keeping even Presidents in the dark about some of our greatest secrets.

And whoever holds and controls our greatest secrets has the ultimate power. Even beyond elective office officials.

Since WWII our intelligence agencies were growing exponentially and so was their power influence and budgets. And less and less oversight to boot.

At times they were lying to and manipulating even our Presidents. They made sure Nixon was removed. I think LBJ was afraid of ( or corrupted ) by them.

When certain men are placed in the highest rungs of power and influence, this power is a seductive drug. And the longer they have it, the more they become addicted to it and the harder it is to let go of it.

I can easily understand the power stripped outrage of long term power addicted Dulles toward JFK for firing him. And the same with another long time power addicted J.Edgar Hoover who knew JFK was going to throw him out as well.

Same with all the other power addicted men I cite above. JFK was a threat to them all.

Dulles scoffed at JFK - "He thought he was a little God."

It was the other way around.

JFK was seriously dismantling this power drunk ego maniac cabal.

When one truly comprehends the mind sets of highest power addicts, of how hard it is for them to give up this drug like power after decades of indulging in it...I believe one can understand that some would actually kill to keep it.

Eisenhower's MIC warning speech upon leaving office was referring to this power threat.

JFK sensed he was a threat to much of this secret power group. He contemplated a military coup initiated by these different groups and felt the film "7 Days In May" should be made and shown to the American public. Perhaps thinking such a film might set off alarm bells within our citizenry and plant a sense of outrage seed in case of an actual coup being attempted?

I believe that once someone truly understands the mind sets of these power anointed and addicted men listed above they can more logically understand that they could kill to keep it.

JFK had the entire power addicted bunch against him.

He was naive in not fully comprehending what he was truly up against...imo anyway.

Edited by Joe Bauer

I don't disagree with all of the above...but also, the JFKA may have been independently carried out by mid-level or lower CIA operatives connected to the Miami station.

That is, Cuban exiles and CIA mercenaries angered by what they perceived as betrayal on the battlefield by JFK, in which their brothers were killed (Bay of Pigs).  

The cover-up had to happen so that the public did not find out it was CIA operatives who did the deed. 

"Yes, JFK was shot by CIA operatives, but they were rogue, and LHO was CIA too"---that's a PR black eye to the moon. 

So, we got the WC....

The cover-up is worse than the crime? Maybe, although in this case, extra-ugly all around.