The Education Forum

Jefferson Morley on A Major Break Coming in the JFK Assassination Story

2 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

I don't know why they would bring in Joannides for wiretapping in Mexico City. The wire tap operation was there and running fine. Why would they need to bring in Joannides?

If I understand his argument correctly, he is saying not that Joannides was brought to MC but that he was made privy to the wiretaps. This doesn't really make that much sense either since they already had Phillips, Scott and others to look at those.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, W. Tracy Parnell said:

If I understand his argument correctly, he is saying not that Joannides was brought to MC but that he was made privy to the wiretaps. This doesn't really make that much sense either since they already had Phillips, Scott and others to look at those.

I don't quiet see the connection between "special intelligence" and wire tapping. 

Could it be Joannides was brought to New Orleans to wire tap Oswald there?

Did Joannides have experience at wire tapping?

Edited by Gerry Down

7 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

I don't quiet see the connection between "special intelligence" and wire tapping. 

Could it be Joannides was brought to New Orleans to wire tap Oswald there?

Did Joannides have experience at wire tapping?

No, I don't see the connection either and know of no proof that "special intelligence" always refers to wiretaps in CIA documentation which is what Morley claims (but does not prove). I know of nothing that shows Joannides had any specialty in wiretaps.

2 minutes ago, W. Tracy Parnell said:

No, I don't see the connection either and know of no proof that "special intelligence" always refers to wiretaps in CIA documentation which is what Morley claims (but does not prove). I know of nothing that shows Joannides had any specialty in wiretaps.

Thanks. Your input is helpful.

4 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

Morley has been chasing this angle for decades and it surely must be tiring. Such a pursuit can also raise the possibility of adverse effects on one's perspective and judgement.

This is true Matt.

But  also, we must keep in perspective that Morley is a careful guy.  He always has been.  Sometimes I think he is too careful, if anything he tends to be conservative.

The redacted Joannides document says in May 1963 that he's cleared for "special intelligence" i.e. wiretaps and other less than savory methods of surveillance. I don't find this particularly surprising, given what we know about his roles in Cuban operations.

Where I am confused is how we're getting from this document to the known operations conducted against the FPCC in 1963.

30 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

The redacted Joannides document says in May 1963 that he's cleared for "special intelligence" i.e. wiretaps and other less than savory methods of surveillance. I don't find this particularly surprising, given what we know about his roles in Cuban operations.

Where I am confused is how we're getting from this document to the known operations conducted against the FPCC in 1963.

Matt, maybe this is where the $51,000 a month to the DRE funneled through Joannidies, and his house in New Orleans in the summer of 1963 come into play?  While he still officially resided in Florida, near the JMWAVE offices.  Food for thought.

Edited by Ron Bulman

4 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Matt, maybe this is where the $51,000 a month to the DRE funneled through Joannidies, and his house in New Orleans in the summer of 1963 come into play?  While he still officially resided in Florida, near the JMWAVE offices.  Food for thought.

When did he get that house in New Orleans - did he first get it in the summer of 1963?

4 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

Do we have examples of Joannides previously being involved in surveillance of this type?

9 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

I’d have to agree. If there was even a hint connecting Joannides to the FPCC in Summer ‘63 I think it’d be a pretty safe bet that he was mixed up with Oswald, but access to electronic intel alone doesn’t really seem like enough. 

If we find out that the CIA wiretapped people in New Orleans that Summer it’d be a pretty big deal though. The stuff I’ve been working on actually connects to that - a bunch of electronic surveillance experts with likely CIA connections operating under belligerently suspicious circumstances with links to Carlos Bringuier. 

Edited by Tom Gram

21 hours ago, Denis Morissette said:

Sounds like the act of a fraud. 

To call Jefferson Morley a "fraud" is so beyond ridiculous.  Keep your head firmly in the sand!

Have you read "What Jane Roman Said."?  https://www.history-matters.com/essays/frameup/WhatJaneRomanSaid/WhatJaneRomanSaid_1.htm

Jane Roman:

“To me its indicative of a keen interest in Oswald held very closely on the need to know basis.”

“I would think that there was definitely some operational reason to withhold it [the information at headquarters on Oswald], if it was not sheer administrative error, when you see all the people who signed off on it.”

Here is a high-ranking career CIA officer admitting that the Special Affairs Staff at CIA had all information on Oswald under tight control "need to know" because of a "keen interest" with an "operational reason" in Oct 1963.  What about that is difficult to understand?

What light might be shed on the operation by releasing the Joannides file is debatable.  That the CIA was watching or involving Oswald in an operation is not.  

Morley digs up first hand sources and you call him a fraud.....Look in the mirror and stop dismissing unpleasant facts.

I'm retracting my fraud statement. I apologize. What Tracy Parnell wrote rose concerns in me, and that's why I reacted the way I did. I should have said that I'm now suspicious of Morley's motives and methods.

Tracy wrote: "Newsweek is wrong. If Morley had such a document, that would be the first thing he would have shown. He speculates that the Joannides documents will prove his theory of an "Oswald Operation." They will do no such thing as they have already been seen by the ARRB who found nothing. If and when the documents are released, he will search through them for a word or phrase he can use to justify his claims and couple that with the witnesses he claims to have (but has not presented yet). He will then have his manufactured "truth" and can continue to write books and articles for years and call himself the "man who solved the assassination." That is my take on what Morley is doing."

Thank you, Tracy for these precisions. And now the cherry on the cake: 

"Finally, it should be mentioned that Morley is calling for the release of the 44 documents on December 15th which is the deadline set by President Biden to either release records or continue to postpone. But the documents Morley is talking about are not part of the JFK Records Collection and it is unclear through what mechanism they could be released."