The Education Forum

Spectacular Glenn Greenwald Follow-on to Tucker Carlson

13 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Not to pile on, I agree. Ben? It’d be one thing if you used those words occasionally to make a sarcastic point, but as a regular habit it puts me off too. It’s a false equivalence in my view. 

Joseph and Paul:

I beg your indulgence. Surely, a minor sin on my part. 

I see a lot stronger language used to describe either party, rather often, and in this forum. 

40 years ago, I was sure the D-Party was the better choice. About 20 years ago, still, but getting closer.

Ten years ago, it became a horse race. 

Lately, the GOP has pulled marginally ahead in the race to the bottom with some of the lulus they have running around. On the other hand, the D-Party has married into the national security state (think of marriage as prone, face down and splay-legged), and promotes open borders for trade and immigration, ID politics and censorship.

What does it say that the right-wing is now more skeptical of the Deep State than the left wing?

Shouldn't you be angry at Don Lemon, or other prominent left-wing newspeople, for not doing what Tucker Carlson is doing? 

I am just a little old man in the back country of Thailand. Spare me a few pet expressions. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benjamin, I like your use of the terms

D-party and R-party, which seem

subtly mocking yet not in an absurd way. It is indeed

fascinating to see how the various

layers of the media are handling

the assassination now. There seems

an upsurge of interest among the general

public due to the controversy over

the document release and continued blockage.

Edited by Joseph McBride

1 hour ago, Joseph McBride said:

Benjamin, I like your use of the terms

D-party and R-party, which seem

subtly mocking yet not in an absurd way. It is indeed

fascinating to see how the various

layers of the media are handling

the assassination now. There seems

an upsurge of interest among the general

public due to the controversy over

the document release and continued blockage.

You know, the unnamed party that starts with a "D" still controls the Senate. 

They could form a "Church Committee II," hire James D., yourself, Morley, John Newman, Hardway and Lopez, and absolutely demand to see everything they wanted to in federal government files, or raise hell until...

You know, and I know, that won't happen. 

Even worse, nobody even expects or believes the unnamed party that starts with a "D" would ever consider such an option. 

Should you be peeved not with me, but with the unnamed party that starts with a "D"? 

I am some guy way back in the balcony, in the peanut gallery, behind the cheap seats. On stage you have a tragi-comedy underway...

we've had a role reversal Dems now protect FBI and intelligence agencies because they think they saved the nation from Trump and wont hold hearings that will aide the GOP narrative about the Deep State. Likewise, they dont want to hold hearings that could embarrass Biden.  That is the real-politic we are dealing with right now. 

3 hours ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

we've had a role reversal Dems now protect FBI and intelligence agencies because they think they saved the nation from Trump and wont hold hearings that will aide the GOP narrative about the Deep State. Likewise, they dont want to hold hearings that could embarrass Biden.  That is the real-politic we are dealing with right now. 

Egads. That is a national catastrophe. 

7 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Ben: Egads! That is a national catastrophe. 

Egads?, Ben?  a national catastrophe? Maybe if you examined this more critically. Maybe you wouldn't be so easily astonished.

10 hours ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

I personally don't think your view is well worded here Larry.

First, to be clear,and straighten out the origins, if there was some immutable bond between the Dems and the FBI and Intelligence in 2016, how do you explain Republican Comey calling attention to Hillary e mails 9 days before the 2016 election?
But to update:

Larry:Dems now protect FBI and intelligence agencies because they think they saved the nation from Trump 

Untrue, the Democrats, like the vast majority of the nation "think" the ballot box saved the nation from Trump, because he and his party lost 3 straight elections, and we could arguably say a 4th in 2022.

The vast majority of people, including the Democrats,  don't buy the Republican stolen election narrative and when push came to shove, in the post 2020 election period,  the law enforcement sided with the Democrats to preserve free elections and a peaceful transfer of power.

And of course with not embarrassing Biden, why would that be any surprise?
Re: the specifically the JFKA, I fail to see how Biden could be much more embarrassed than Trump caving about the first release of the files back in 2017. 

Larry, I realize you're making a snapshot commentary of the present obstacles, but I did caution you  about the danger of getting bogged down in the political weeds, for the sake of our cause.

HERE IS A TRULY SAD AND EVEN OMINOUS REALITY FACT ABOUT AMERICA NOW.

AMERICANS FEAR TRUMPLICANS.

OF WHICH MAKE UP HALF OF OUR SOCIETY!

I MEAN TRULY FEAR!

THE INCREDIBLY VIOLENT AND DESTRUCTIVE JANUARY 6TH, 2021 ATTACK BY THOUSANDS OF THEM ON OUR SACRED CAPITAL BUILDING WHILE IT WAS OCCUPIED BY OUR FULL CONGRESS SHOWED US ALL WHAT THEY ARE ACTUALLY CAPABLE OF.

THAT UNBELIEVABLE HIGHEST CRIME ATTACK WAS PRECEDED BY HUNDREDS OF OTHERS ON SMALLER BUT STILL SCARY VIOLENT LEVELS.

TRUMP'S FOLLOWERS ARE ALL ABOUT VIOLENCE.

IF NOT ACTUALLY PARTICIPATING IN THESE ACTS, ENABLING THEM WITH ENCOURAGING SILENCE APPROVAL AND DOWNPLAYING THEM.

ALL ACROSS OUR NATION,  POLITICIANS OR ELECTION OFFICIALS WHO SPOKE OUT AGAINST TRUMP'S ATTEMPT TO SUBVERT THE 2020 ELECTION WERE PERSONALLY ATTACKED WITH SERIOUS DEATH THREATS AND  HARRASSMENTS. KIDNAPPING OF A DEMOCRATIC PARTY STATE GOVERNOR WAS ACTUALLY ONE OF THEIR PLANS.

DURING THE ELECTION TRUMP FOLLOWERS RAN A DEMOCRATIC CAMPAIGN BUS OFF THE ROAD. THOUSANDS OF TRUMP FOLLOWERS ROARED THROUGH TOWNS ALL ACROSS AMERICA IN BIG SCARY PICK UP TRUCK CARAVANS WITH TRUMP SIGNS AND LOUD HONKING AND SHOUTING THREATENING CURSE WORDS AT PERCEIVED DEMOCRATIC LIBERALS WATCHING THEM ROLL THROUGH THEIR TOWNS. IT WAS ALL PURE INTIMIDATION.

NANCY PELOSI WAS FEARFUL FOR HER LIFE ON JANURARY 6TH, 2021. HER OWN HUSBAND WAS VICIOUSLY ATTACKED BY A TRUMP SENTIMENT NUT CASE...RIGHT IN HIS OWN HOME!

HONESTLY, TRUMP'S FOLLOWERS FRIGHTEN THE REST OF US.

THIS ASSESSMENT IS NOT EXAGGERATED.

DURING THE 2020 ELECTION MY WIFE AND I FEARED PUTTING A BIDEN CAMPAIGN SIGN IN OUR YARD OR HOUSE WINDOW FOR FEAR WE WOULD HAVE SHOTS FIRED AT US.

SAME WITH ANYTHING ON OUR CAR.

TRUMP PEOPLE NEVER WORRIED ABOUT BIDEN SUPPORTERS DOING THIS KIND OF SCARY STUFF TO THEM

THE FEAR FACTOR IS ONLY COMING FROM TRUMP'S FOLLOWERS.

IF THIS  TRUTH DOESN'T MAKE YOU AWARE OF WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS AMERICAN SOCIETY REALITY PICTURE...WHAT WILL?

Edited by Joe Bauer

11 hours ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

Real-politic is the right term. The Democrats think they must hold the middle ground precisely because the Republicans in Congress are pretty much marching in lock step with Trump. To me that is the bigger problem, and the one that deserves an answer. What is the real agenda of the Republican Party? And the Democratic Party? 
i think it would be better to unhook these issues and be fearless in taking the Democrats to task without referring to Trump. As you say, that won’t happen. Why? Not meant to be a rhetorical question. Why is the body politic is being so thoroughly divided? What actors are at work, and what is their ultimate goal? While the Republicans use the term deep state as a bludgeon, the Democrats call such talk conspiracy theory. It’s conspiracy theory run amok. But there is something real behind the curtain, and it’s not the Wizard of Oz. 
For Ben and others - labeling the Democratic Party as the water boy for the Deep State without historical context, without defining one’s terms, and casting the Trump Republicans as the loyal opposition is just insulting. Unhook it please. Criticize the Democrats all you want - they deserve it. The US government, for ever, deserves it. But if you don’t see Jan 6 as a real coup attempt you’re dreaming, you’re blind. You’ve fallen for the deep state divisive agenda. 

17 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

But if you don’t see Jan 6 as a real coup attempt you’re dreaming, you’re blind. You’ve fallen for the deep state divisive agenda. 

There is no evidence of a coup, and in fact a Warren Commission style propaganda committee had to be formed to protect the fake narrative. Meanwhile we learned that the FBI had 22 informants in Oath Keepers and 9 in Proudboys. Ray Epps said he orchestrated the breach of the capital and he wasn't even charged. 

@Kirk Gallaway

Thanks for alerting me to the need to clarify my comments. I was, of course, referring to the attitudes and obstacles in Congress as opposed to those of the electorate. I dont necessarily disagree with your commentary on the elections themselves but that is not what I was trying to explain-apparently inartfully.   

Historically, the republicans in congress were the defenders of the intelligence community and law enforcement agencies as part of being the "law and order" party while the democratic congress was skeptical of the agencies and particularly attuned to the civil rights abuses. 

However, since the Trump era and continuing into the Biden Administration, the parties have switched 180 degrees so that the GOP is now more receptive to investigations that could expose abuses or ove-reach by these entities while the congressional democrats view these agencies as having protected the nation against unlawful actions or over-reach by Trump  while he was in office. 

Hence, from a tactical standpoint, with the GOP taking control of the House, the Oversight Committee (or possibly the Judiciary Committee if the so-called new church-style committee is established) may now provide potential opportunities for getting hearings on the JFK Act regardless of their motivations. Another example of the enemy of my enemy becoming my friend. 

You asked how Biden could be possibly be embarrassed. An oversight hearing this past fall on how the executive branch has failed to comply with the JFK Act would have necessarily focused on Biden's 2021 order that relied on non-statutory grounds for postponement and the other procedural violations since it was the operative order and he is the sitting President. While the Trump orders were also unlawful, they did not pose potential risk to Biden.  The democratically-controlled  House Oversight Committee was reluctant to hold a hearing that could possibly cast a bad light on Biden before the mid-terms.

We also sent letters to the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee asking for an oversight hearing but received no response. For the same reasons as discussed above, i dont think the Senate will prove to be receptive this year although we will continue trying. 

Over my 38 years of practicing law, I have had a lot of experience working  to get legislation passed or regulations adopted.  But the reversal of attitudes towards law enforcement (in the form of the FBI) and intelligence community has been remarkable to me .  This is the real politik we are confronting as we try to get an oversight hearing.  we're like a scrambling QB looking for an  open receiver and the GOP may be the best receiver we have right now unless the field changes.               

13 minutes ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

@Kirk Gallaway

Thanks for alerting me to the need to clarify my comments. I was, of course, referring to the attitudes and obstacles in Congress as opposed to those of the electorate. I dont necessarily disagree with your commentary on the elections themselves but that is not what I was trying to explain-apparently inartfully.   

Historically, the republicans in congress were the defenders of the intelligence community and law enforcement agencies as part of being the "law and order" party while the democratic congress was skeptical of the agencies and particularly attuned to the civil rights abuses. 

However, since the Trump era and continuing into the Biden Administration, the parties have switched 180 degrees so that the GOP is now more receptive to investigations that could expose abuses or ove-reach by these entities while the congressional democrats view these agencies as having protected the nation against unlawful actions or over-reach by Trump  while he was in office. 

Hence, from a tactical standpoint, with the GOP taking control of the House, the Oversight Committee (or possibly the Judiciary Committee if the so-called new church-style committee is established) may now provide potential opportunities for getting hearings on the JFK Act regardless of their motivations. Another example of the enemy of my enemy becoming my friend. 

You asked how Biden could be possibly be embarrassed. An oversight hearing this past fall on how the executive branch has failed to comply with the JFK Act would have necessarily focused on Biden's 2021 order that relied on non-statutory grounds for postponement and the other procedural violations since it was the operative order and he is the sitting President. While the Trump orders were also unlawful, they did not pose potential risk to Biden.  The democratically-controlled  House Oversight Committee was reluctant to hold a hearing that could possibly cast a bad light on Biden before the mid-terms.

We also sent letters to the Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee asking for an oversight hearing but received no response. For the same reasons as discussed above, i dont think the Senate will prove to be receptive this year although we will continue trying. 

Over my 38 years of practicing law, I have had a lot of experience working  to get legislation passed or regulations adopted.  But the reversal of attitudes towards law enforcement (in the form of the FBI) and intelligence community has been remarkable to me .  This is the real politik we are confronting as we try to get an oversight hearing.  we're like a scrambling QB looking for an  open receiver and the GOP may be the best receiver we have right now unless the field changes.               

Your insight is invaluable, and as you say the enemy of my enemy can be my friend. I’m all for getting the records released. I suspect however that a Republican led House will not succeed in forcing any President to demand a full release of jfk docs, and that they are primarily engaging in a rhetorical fight with Intelligence officials and the White House about this issue so they can use it politically. 
the interesting part of your thesis is the seeming reversal of attitudes towards the FBI and Intelligence community. We’ve all seen it. Would you agree that Trump started this? 

5 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Real-politic is the right term. The Democrats think they must hold the middle ground precisely because the Republicans in Congress are pretty much marching in lock step with Trump. To me that is the bigger problem, and the one that deserves an answer. What is the real agenda of the Republican Party? And the Democratic Party? 
i think it would be better to unhook these issues and be fearless in taking the Democrats to task without referring to Trump. As you say, that won’t happen. Why? Not meant to be a rhetorical question. Why is the body politic is being so thoroughly divided? What actors are at work, and what is their ultimate goal? While the Republicans use the term deep state as a bludgeon, the Democrats call such talk conspiracy theory. It’s conspiracy theory run amok. But there is something real behind the curtain, and it’s not the Wizard of Oz. 
For Ben and others - labeling the Democratic Party as the water boy for the Deep State without historical context, without defining one’s terms, and casting the Trump Republicans as the loyal opposition is just insulting. Unhook it please. Criticize the Democrats all you want - they deserve it. The US government, for ever, deserves it. But if you don’t see Jan 6 as a real coup attempt you’re dreaming, you’re blind. You’ve fallen for the deep state divisive agenda. 

A coup...in which the relevant police agency---the Capitol Police---didn't show up and then stood down?

You realize the Capitol Police arrested almost no one on Jan. 6? 

Imagine. Rioters are inside the Capitol. There are only so many exits. The Capitol Police have 3,500 officers. The DC Metro Police have 2,500 officers. Everyone has working phones and communication equipment. 

But...more than 99.9% of the rioters leave, unmolested. 

There were three people arrested that day who were carrying firearms, all outside the building itself. 

Many ordinary rioters or occupiers texted in real time they were "let in" to the Capitol. 

The Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers were specifically unarmed---although heavily infiltrated with federal assets. Franky, the infiltration was so heavy it is hard to imagine anyone in those two groups made a move without being watched. Again, all those embedded federal assets had working smartphones. They can call and warn authorities. Did they? 

There is no record of that. So the scrum was spontaneous...or instigated by mute provocateurs? 

The federal government refuses to say if they had assets in the scrum that day, in addition to the Proud Boy and Oath Keeper assets. That's right--you the citizen, or the Congress, cannot be informed about the possible role of federal assets in the scrum that day. 

Mr. Buffalo Horns, despite being rather recognizable, is typical. Despite his unusual presence, he was not arrested but rather turned himself in to the FBI in Arizona, where he was a homeless gadlfy. 

You think you know what happened on Jan. 6? I don't. 

What do you make out of the actions of the Secret Service on Nov. 22? 

Did the Warren Commission solve the true JFKA? 

Keep an open mind. 

We need a "Church Committee II." 

Sadly, I cannot think of any Senators, Donk or 'Phant, who could could objectively prosecute the case and let the chips fall where they may, on Jan. 6 or Nov. 22.

And that's where we are. 

I apologize for using my pet words for the two major political parties. I will buy indulgences. 

PS. I am not divided. I am against both parties.  

4 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Your insight is invaluable, and as you say the enemy of my enemy can be my friend. I’m all for getting the records released. I suspect however that a Republican led House will not succeed in forcing any President to demand a full release of jfk docs, and that they are primarily engaging in a rhetorical fight with Intelligence officials and the White House about this issue so they can use it politically. 
the interesting part of your thesis is the seeming reversal of attitudes towards the FBI and Intelligence community. We’ve all seen it. Would you agree that Trump started this? 

Paul,

Let's be honest here.  Trump Republicans only "discovered" the Deep State after Trump tried to blame his 2016 campaign's involvement with the Kremlin on the FBI.   It was a deflection.  It was originally labeled in Trumpaganda circles as "Obamagate," and "Spygate," then got replayed in Trump's "Nunes Memo" scam and, later, Bill Barr's Durham investigation.   All of these were nothing burgers, but they reinforced the false impression in the MAGA-verse that Trump was not a criminal, but a victim of the Deep State.

The truth is that Trump was involved with the Russian mafia and Putin's oligarchs for years, and was aided by the Kremlin in his fateful 2016 Presidential campaign.  Even the Republican-controlled Senate Intel Committee belatedly conceded as much.

The same Trumpaganda strategy of blaming Trump's crimes on the Deep State was used after January 6th.  This "Patriot Purge" narrative was actively promoted by Tucker Carlson during the Congressional J6 investigation, and is still being promoted by people who are unfamiliar with the facts about Trump's coup attempt-- including Mathew Koch and Benjamin Cole.

As the Congressional J6 investigation has shown in considerable detail, Trump was the driving force behind his multi-faceted efforts to overturn the result of the 2020 election, culminating in his incitement of the violent mob attack on Congress on January 6th.  There were suspicious security failures by Trump's appointees at the FBI, DHS, Secret Service, and Pentagon on J6, and an even more suspicious destruction of their text messages and communications.

If anything, Trump's "Deep State" staffers seem to have played a role in the lack of adequate Capitol security on J6-- including blocking the deployment of the National Guard.

I believe that Kevin McCarthy and the GOP Sedition Caucus-- Jim Jordan, Scott Perry, And Biggs, Paul Gosar, Lauren Boebert, et.al.-- are mainly interested in interfering with the DOJ investigation of their own possibly criminal involvement in Trump's efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election. 

Naturally, I would welcome any good faith effort by Tucker Carlson and Republican members of Congress to win the release of the JFK assassination records, but I seriously doubt that Kevin McCarthy and the Sedition Caucus are motivated by that agenda.

Edited by W. Niederhut

13 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Paul,

Let's be honest here.  Trump Republicans only "discovered" the Deep State after Trump tried to blame his 2016 campaign's involvement with the Kremlin on the FBI.   It was a deflection.  It was originally labeled in Trumpaganda circles as "Obamagate," and "Spygate," then got replayed in Trump's "Nunes Memo" scam and, later, Bill Barr's Durham investigation.   All of these were nothing burgers, but they reinforced the false impression in the MAGA-verse that Trump was not a criminal, but a victim of the Deep State.

The truth is that Trump was involved with the Russian mafia and Putin's oligarchs for years, and was aided by the Kremlin in his fateful 2016 Presidential campaign.  Even the Republican-controlled Senate Intel Committee belatedly conceded as much.

The same Trumpaganda strategy of blaming Trump's crimes on the Deep State was used after January 6th.  This "Patriot Purge" narrative was actively promoted by Tucker Carlson during the Congressional J6 investigation, and is still being promoted by people who are unfamiliar with the facts about Trump's coup attempt-- including Mathew Koch and Benjamin Cole.

As the Congressional J6 investigation has shown in considerable detail, Trump was the driving force behind his multi-faceted efforts to overturn the result of the 2020 election, culminating in his incitement of the violent mob attack on Congress on January 6th.  There were suspicious security failures by Trump's appointees at the FBI, DHS, Secret Service, and Pentagon on J6, and an even more suspicious destruction of their text messages and communications.

If anything, Trump's "Deep State" staffers seem to have played a role in the lack of adequate Capitol security on J6-- including blocking the deployment of the National Guard.

I believe that Kevin McCarthy and the GOP Sedition Caucus-- Jim Jordan, Scott Perry, And Biggs, Paul Gosar, Lauren Boebert, et.al.-- are mainly interested in interfering with the DOJ investigation of their own possibly criminal involvement in Trump's efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election. 

Naturally, I would welcome any good faith effort by Tucker Carlson and Republican members of Congress to win the release of the JFK assassination records, but I seriously doubt that Kevin McCarthy and the Sedition Caucus are motivated by that agenda.

"Naturally, I would welcome any good faith effort by Tucker Carlson and Republican members of Congress to win the release of the JFK assassination records, but I seriously doubt that Kevin McCarthy and the Sedition Caucus are motivated by that agenda."--W

You may be right.

On the other hand, do you expect Senate Donks to form a "Church Committee II" one with real teeth, staffed by people like Dan Hardway, Ed Lopez and John Newman (and whoever you admire), and bring a no-holds barred scorched-earth war on state secrecy regarding the JFKA? 

Of course they will not. Perish the thought. 

Let's review:

So on national TV, a prominent commentator says the CIA had a hand in the JFKA. There is lots of follow-in in social media, by good solid outfits (Breaking Points, The Hill, Jefferson Morley). It is a credible story if not proven. 

But the Senate Donks are totally uninterested in the topic.

So what if the CIA murdered JFK. 

52 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Paul,

Willam you lost me at Russian Mafia and Trump 🤪Thanks for illustrating Larry's point that the left flipped and actively believes whatever the Intelligence agencies tell them. There are so many errors in your bad faith argument, kinda surprised you're not embarrassed writing that many untrue things in one post. 

Edited by Matthew Koch