The Education Forum

Huge Ruth Paine news or not?

An esteemed researcher (I will name him IF this is big news) sent me these today with the note "Ruth Paine marked in her calendar for March 1963, LHO purchase of rifle":

No description available.\

No description available.

He also added: "I came across this today while reading the Scobey files- Loads in there about Marina-She lied uniformly to the FBI.. by her own admission Marina is a xxxx.. strong stuff

Edited by Vince Palamara

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VP--

Great stuff.  I guess we do not have the actual calendar? 

To get this straight:

So, on the Paine calendar, in the month of March, is the notation regarding Oct. 23 and LHO's purchase of a rifle? 

Does that mean that, in October 1963, Paine flipped the pages on her calendar back to March, and then put the notation regarding LHO and the rifle?

Yes, virtually everyone who dealt with Marina in 1963 doubted her veracity on any topic. In her defense, she may have been deeply troubled and frightened, rather than evasive. 

Side note: No one in the media ever---ever---referred to LHO as a new father, in 1963 coverage.  In fact, he had a one-month old baby. 

I have always wondered if financial inducements led LHO into an unwitting role in the JFKA. 

3 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

VP--

Great stuff.  I guess we do not have the actual calendar? 

To get this straight:

So, on the Paine calendar, in the month of March, is the notation regarding Oct. 23 and LHO's purchase of a rifle? 

Does that mean that, in October 1963, Paine flipped the pages on her calendar back to March, and then put the notation regarding LHO and the rifle?

Yes, virtually everyone who dealt with Marina in 1963 doubted her veracity on any topic. In her defense, she may have been deeply troubled and frightened, rather than evasive. 

Side note: No one in the media ever---ever---referred to LHO as a new father, in 1963 coverage.  In fact, he had a one-month old baby. 

I have always wondered if financial inducements led LHO into an unwitting role in the JFKA. 

Thanks! Actually, you can thank Johnny Cairns for this :)

59 minutes ago, Vince Palamara said:

An esteemed researcher (I will name him IF this is big news) sent me these today with the note "Ruth Paine marked in her calendar for March 1963, LHO purchase of rifle":

No description available.\

He also added: "I came across this today while reading the Scobey files- Loads in there about Marina-She lied uniformly to the FBI.. by her own admission Marina is a xxxx.. strong stuff

Well, the truth will always shine through.  If these papers are real, Mrs Payne needs to answer some questions, but she won’t.  She will take them to the grave.

This is not new, but its always nice to have the original documents on it.

IIRC, she said this was backward dated, I think that was her excuse but Von Pein and Doudna--the Ruth Paine suck ups-- will correct me if I am wrong.

Scobey was a really good lawyer and Russell relied on her a lot.  In fact, once he realized the WC was going to be a joke, she did all of his leg work for him.

She is correct on Marina here.  Marina Oswald would have been humiliated on the stand by any skillful lawyer and Scobey knew that.  And so did Russell, who was a lawyer.

The Russell, Boggs, Cooper autumn examination of Marina was the closest the Commission ever came to a real tribunal. They went over to the TSBD after and Russell walked up to the sixth floor with an unloaded rifle.  He simulated the shots and then came down and  with tongue in cheek, said yep that was easy. 

Wisely, Ford, Dulles and McCloy did not show up but Rankin was there.  He told them what was going on with the southern wing.

And this is how Russell got snookered at the final executive session meeting with no secretary to record.

I can just hear Dulles chortling  about that with Angleton that evening.  "That moron Russell, doesn't he know that was the reason we got rid of Olney!"  

Edited by James DiEugenio

9 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

This is not new, but its always nice to have the original documents on it.

So what did people conclude about it?

I feel like the October date is easily as important as the March notation.

Mrs. Paine said she never knew about any rifle until after the assassination, correct?

Am I reading this right?  No specific date in March on the calendar specified.  But sometime between October 23 and November 22 she went back on the calendar to sometime in March and made a note about Lee ordering the rifle?

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Am I reading this right?  No specific date in March on the calendar specified.  But sometime between October 23 and November 22 she went back on the calendar to sometime in March and made a note about Lee ordering the rifle?

I believe that is what she said. She said she was trying to piece together what happened, and added some post-assassination-reported events onto her calendar so she could better understand the timeline. 

The FBI was definitely concerned when they first discovered the notations, and ordered that Paine be interviewed immediately: 

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=57766#relPageId=48

Paine was interviewed that same day. Her first explanation to the FBI was that she was unable to recall what the Oct. 23 notation meant, but believed that it had no connection to the entry pertaining to the rifle purchase:

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=57768#relPageId=22

These 2/6/64 teletypes are the follow-up to the 2/5/64 memo Vince posted. 

9 hours ago, Tom Gram said:

she was unable to recall what the Oct. 23 notation meant, but believed that it had no connection to the entry pertaining to the rifle purchase

After finding and looking at the calendar in the WC exhibits, I have to say that was my impression as well. They really don't look related to me.