The Education Forum

The three tramps mystery

@Matt Allison

Do you know what this is?

FYI - 
{ "total": 1, "results": [ { "objectFilename": "Warren Commission Document 2094", "description": "Transcript of an interview with Fletcher Prouty", "content": { "text": "Fletcher Prouty was interviewed by the Warren Commission on December 13, 1963. Prouty stated that he was a former Air Force colonel who had worked in the Office of Special Operations. Prouty stated that he had knowledge of the assassination plot against President Kennedy." }, "source": "Warren Commission", "dateCreated": "1963-12-13", "dateModified": "1963-12-13" } ] }

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, David Josephs said:

@Matt Allison

Do you know what this is?

FYI - 
{ "total": 1, "results": [ { "objectFilename": "Warren Commission Document 2094", "description": "Transcript of an interview with Fletcher Prouty", "content": { "text": "Fletcher Prouty was interviewed by the Warren Commission on December 13, 1963. Prouty stated that he was a former Air Force colonel who had worked in the Office of Special Operations. Prouty stated that he had knowledge of the assassination plot against President Kennedy." }, "source": "Warren Commission", "dateCreated": "1963-12-13", "dateModified": "1963-12-13" } ] }

Yes, it's called bullsh*t.

15 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

Yes, it's called bullsh*t.

Thanks for proving you do not know the difference between a BARD answer and a Search API result.

The Q&A's created by BARD for those WCD's are based on the metadata it found.

I apologize for thinking the Q&A text was found in the metadata or in the document which we couldn't access.  Doesn't change the fact the arrest reports conflict with the stories of their arrest

Let me know how that API works for you.  We've got a few others working on it too.

And we'll keep BARD out of it.  :up

30 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

The tramp photos were originally dragged out in 1967 to lead DA Jim Garrison on a wild goose chase. Later on, A.J. Weberman became obsessed with them and tried to claim the oldest tramp was Howard Hunt.

They have functioned as an effective red herring for decades now, and it's sad that people are still suckered into believing they have something to do with the crime.

I knew the Howard Hunt theory from years ago; I've spent time with a researcher in the Lake Hubbard area and know the story about the pistol ending up in the lake and somehow tied to Woody Harrelson's da, another candidate as I recall.

I'm not fully up to speed with the most recent and persuasive theory.

And, I'm only concerned with whether it was a deliberate diversionary tactic; I actually don't care about the identities except and unless they lead to the command, which logically, they would — unless "command" just grabbed three guys off the street or train as it were.  Highly unlikely as a strategy, imo.

20 minutes ago, David Josephs said:

Let me know how that API works for you.  We've got a few others working on it too.

"The API is also writable, which means it can be used to post and manipulate tags, transcriptions, or comments."

Maybe take a step back and reassess some of your invective.

1 minute ago, Matt Allison said:

Maybe take a step back and reassess some of your invective

Maybe just stare at your tramps photos for similarities and let people work...

If we find that these records have been manipulated by outside forces, one would have to ask why would the Archives allow them to change the actual records...  let's see what the entire page says instead of your little cherry-picked section.

You do understand that only an entity with the key can go into records and make changes, and then those changes would forever be linked to that person's active Catalog account.

@Tom Gram

Are you saying someone or something went into the database using the API and created records when the write function only allows the addition, manipulation of tags, transcriptions and comments. 

Who might that be Matt?

Where does it say you can actually add/create NEW Archived records into the database from thin air?
I must have missed that.  In fact if you kept reading you'd see it say they are talking about the METADATA, not the records themselves...

:rant your invective.  :up

The National Archives API 2.0 is a read–write web Application Programming Interface (API) for querying the National Archives Catalog dataset. At its core, the National Archives catalog is a dataset of archival descriptions, authority records, and other information. While the browser-based catalog is a human-centered way to interface with these records, the API is an alternative method by which researchers, developers, and applications can interact with the same dataset—by following documented methods to retrieve or alter the structured data in the system.

The dataset for the catalog API contains all available archival descriptions, authority records, digitized records (images, videos, and so on) and their file metadata, and public contributions (tags, transcriptions, and comments). The API allows researchers and developers to retrieve metadata in JSON format for any given record or search results set. This method offers added flexibility in comparison to the user-centered interface in regards to advanced search or refinement options; this is because the API can search and retrieve using keywords for any field in the system, filter based on type of record, search within ranges, apply sorts, specify only particular fields to return, or any combination of these options. Bulk export of search results can then be generated. The API is also writable, which means it can be used to post and manipulate tags, transcriptions, or comments. In order to utilize write functions, users must request the user-specific API key associated with their active Catalog account by emailing api@nara.gov; for read-only functions, users must request an API key by emailing api@nara.gov

As a work of the federal government, all metadata is in the public domain (except excerpts, quotes, or transcription of copyrighted material); additionally, associated digital objects that represent exclusive works of the U.S. federal government can be freely reused without permission for any purpose. Note that the Catalog does contain some copyrighted works

50 minutes ago, Denis Morissette said:

It’s your comment that made me laugh. I agree with that comment.

Of you can try to understand what I posted - 

No @Matt Allison you cannot get a key and start adding bogus records to the Archives... all you can do is leave a trial of any changes you initiate in the records themselves

bu-bye now

Edited by David Josephs