The Education Forum

The three tramps mystery

16 minutes ago, Paul Cummings said:

Clearly a ringer for the police department basketball team.

I doubt so. I think he looks like another big guy. He’s in the middle of the image. But he doesn’t have a hat. Notice the guy with the shirt reading Golden Bears which was and still is a high school football team in Oak Cliff. 
https://ibb.co/bF2qJNp

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, David Josephs said:

:cheers

cash-ben-in-skaggs.jpg?w=984&h=682

Thanks boys.

Usually a guy that big stands out. Someone you'd remember.

To me, the guy to the right of the cigar holding fellow looks like Jack Webb.

The light blue rent a cop shirt looking fellow looks like a young Meat Head.

The good ole boy on the far right with the white hat might be Detective Clarence Woodrow ( C. W. ) Conway.  Department store shop lifting bureau.

7 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

Out of deference to my compadres Steve and Ron, I'm going to exit this thread. I've expressed my thoughts and I stand by them.

Matt, I'm not sure to make of all this myself.  I agree, Gedney, Doyle and Abrams were roused from their sleep in a boxcar in the railyard next to the TSBD by Sheriff's Deputies in tanish shirts then driven to the police station by DPD officers in different apparel.  That the reports say arrested right after JFK was shot.  That happened.

I'm not sure anymore they are the tramps in the pictures.

That a second arrest of three tramps occurred happened 1-2 hours after the assassination several hundred yards south of the RR yard and DP is documented by the officers statements at the time and over time as well as documents.

My question now is why.  First set of tramps, hobos.  Second set?

Why were they running along the tracks several hundred yards south of DP climbing into a grain car over an hour after the assassination?  To hide beneath the edge, when the train then stopped?  Hobos from the area south of the Postal Annex, it's parking lot or the south knoll catching a train?  More questions than answers as usual.

Edited by Ron Bulman

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I'm not sure anymore they are the tramps in the pictures.

That a second arrest of three tramps occurred happened 1-2 hours after the assassination several hundred yards south of the RR yard and DP is documented by the officers statements at the time and over time as well as documents.

My question now is why.  First set of tramps, hobos.  Second set?

Why were they running along the tracks several hundred yards south of DP climbing into a grain car over an hour after the assassination? 

Ron,

Something that's never been clear to me...

The train south of Dealey Plaza...

Which direction was it headed? Was it headed back into Dealey Plaza, or was it headed out of town? Was it stationary, or was it moving?

If it was headed out of town, why would it have been stationary? If the cops "ran" to it for 400 yards, or a half a mile, they couldn't have been running after a moving train could they?

Did Bowers say that he called the train and told it to stop?

Steve Thomas

18 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Ron,

Something that's never been clear to me...

The train south of Dealey Plaza...

Which direction was it headed? Was it headed back into Dealey Plaza, or was it headed out of town? Was it stationary, or was it moving?

If it was headed out of town, why would it have been stationary? If the cops "ran" to it for 400 yards, or a half a mile, they couldn't have been running after a moving train could they?

Did Bowers say that he called the train and told it to stop?

Steve Thomas

Steve, I think the train was heading south bound from the RR yard west of the TSBD.  In the article it mentions that Bowers had (finally) been given the all clear, after police had searched all the cars in the yard.  A few minutes after that at 1:56 (last time shown in CE 1974) Vaughn tells the DPD dispatcher about the T & P agent seeing a man jumping at the ninth car from the engine . . . gondola-type car, he is hunkered down inside.  The train is stopped.  If it was down near the Houston Street Viaduct, in one version, Union Terminal (station) in another, both of those are south of Dealy Plaza.  It won't let me copy and paste this from History Matters/WC Exhibits but I linked this in my last post above.  

Marvin Wise in 1994, 31 years after the assassination at age 60 tells Weberman an interesting story in the article about the official story of his turning them over immediately at the Sheriffs Office being wrong, about his custody of them to the SO, for $1,000.  Here's the pertinent part to this post.

Bowers told him and Vaughn he saw Three men running down the tracks, from the area of the underpass . . . that the train was still slowly moving, at that time.  By the time Wise and Vaughn got the report from Bowers the train was probably stopped, as reported to the dispatcher, he said it was when the got to it.

I don't think Bowers could have stopped the train in that day and time, electronically?  He would have to have radioed the engineer.  I think his job would have entailed switching tracks and telling trains when to stop and when to go.  But IDK for sure.

Last thoughts tonight.  If three tramps or others were running north "from the underpass area" to catch a train they would have run right past Bowers tower, between him and the tracks, with 3-400 yards to run, before he saw them.

Wise in 94:

I was with Roy Vaughn when we went up in the tower, to see Bowers. And he says, 'Down there in that boxcar' and he points way down. I'm talking three or four hundred yards, it's a long ways down there. Maybe seven. I can only guess. He said, 'I saw three men running down from there. Looked like they were running from down into the area of the underpass. Just running along the railroad tracks. They started running, I don't know why they run, and they run up and jumped up in the boxcar.' And he points down there and he gives a pretty good indication of which boxcar it is. But at that time, the boxcar was slowly moving. But evidentially they were shooting cars up in there from all them tracks. And it stopped by the time we got in there. We're talking about 90 minutes after the assassination. 

I think it was Southbound, jmho, enjoy.

Edited by Ron Bulman

18 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Steve, 

And it stopped by the time we got in there. We're talking about 90 minutes after the assassination. 

Ron,

I have  no idea how this fits into the picture, but at 1:44 PM, the Dispatcher radios Unit 297 (a three-wheeled motorcycle officer - identity unknown at the moment), and says,

297, "contact 9 and notify him they are holding up a north-bound freight train there in the yard and they want to shake it down before they let it go. Do you want to send some officers over there to shake it down?"

297 responds, "10-4"

9 is Insp!ector Sawyer

https://www.jfk-assassination.net/dpdtapes/tapes3.htm

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

Well Steve, the documented record just got deeper.  Thanks for caring to dig on this.  At one point in the article it states the train is stopped on the overpass, not which end.  One question I'm asking myself at the moment is how long was a boxcar?  Would nine of them equaled 3-400 yards, a quarter mile, half mile or mile, various estimates from officers.  Would they stretch all the way to the Houston Street Viaduct or Union Station?  It's still there, as well as the Houston Street Viaduct, well past it.

Hobo's, or others seeking any way to get away, north or south?  Too bad for them, they missed the train and eventually it kept rollin.

Dallas Union Station - Google Maps

8 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Well Steve, the documented record just got deeper.  Thanks for caring to dig on this.  At one point in the article it states the train is stopped on the overpass, not which end.  One question I'm asking myself at the moment is how long was a boxcar? Would nine of them equaled 3-400 yards,...

Ron,

https://www.american-rails.com/box.html

While the M&H invented the boxcar the pioneering Baltimore & Ohio is given the nod for developing the first practical design.  At 30 feet in length and 7 feet wide it featured side-doors and was capable of handling 10 tons of freight. 

The 50-foot boxcar made its first appearance in the 1930s and steadily grew in popularity over the years, which further improved redundancies by allowing for even more space within a given car. Today, the 50-footer remains the common boxcar size.

From Wikipedia

In the present day, hobos and migrant workers have often used boxcars in their journeys (see freighthopping), since they are enclosed and cannot be seen by railroad police, as well as being to some degree insulated from cold weather.[5] Hobo Code, a form of hieroglyphs used by hobos, developed as a code to give information to Hobos freighthopping.[6]

9 of them at 30 ft. per car would be 270 feet, or 90 yards

9 of them at 50 ft. per car would be 450 feet, or 150 yards

Steve Thomas