The Education Forum

The JFK Assassination Records Act Discussion

15 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

But we are not supposed to mention that because somehow that is off limits for purposes of political correctness.

That's  not the issue at all.

Maybe Trump, if you believe him would have a greater chance of releasing more files.

But the issue is not on the top 40 of politicians to do list.

There's a whole lot of other things that have higher priority.

Say for example if Jim becomes plagued with an illness, he might not want to take out a gofundme page, which isn't necessary in many countries not near as prosperous as the U.S. right now.  (Not that under current conditions, there's anything wrong with that.) Maybe those benefits shouldn't be taken away as a "take the baby out with the bathwater" assault on the "Administrative State".

Or maybe young people should be able to get education or career help at the cost many of us could when we were young.

And many other issues.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

BTW, I have to add, the JFK Records Act is not supposed to be a political grandstand.

Its a law.  One that has been disobeyed.

But whatever Trump did, and it was pretty bad, what Biden did was worse.

But we are not supposed to mention that because somehow that is off limits for purposes of political correctness.

I don't buy it.

William, Matt and CV know little or nothing about that Act.  Please show me their work on it besides grandstanding?

Attorney Andrew Iler does..

Here is is his now classic analysis of just what Joe Biden did to the Act.  Just remember, Biden is the guy who has a bust of RFK in the Oval Office and JFK's portrait in his study.    Pitiful.

https://www.kennedysandking.com/john-f-kennedy-articles/the-biden-cia-attempt-to-usurp-congress-authority-over-jfk-records

Jim,

I have been bitterly disappointed about Biden blocking the release of the JFK records, as I said from day one.  Like other forum members, I even wrote a letter to Biden in 2021 asking him to release the records, in accordance with the JFK Records Act.

I was also disappointed by Trump's historic decision to block the release of the JFK records in October of 2017 and April of 2018-- and the media silence at the time.

But let's be honest.  Donald Trump was the worst POTUS in American history-- by scholarly consensus-- with the possible exception of Andrew Johnson.

No single policy issue could justify voting for an inept, corrupt, racist sociopath like Donald Trump.

He's a man who has offered to hamstring the EPA and sabotage clean energy initiatives for Big Oil, further mushroom the Reaganomic national debt with more billionaire tax cuts, and destroy healthcare funding for the working poor.

He has also stacked the courts with corrupt right wing ideologues and orchestrated a violent attack on the U.S. Congress.

The man belongs in prison, not the White House.

Edited by W. Niederhut

Seeing as the CIA didn't see fit to include anything on Joannides when they were originally ordered to release assassination materials, why in god's name does anyone think any of the remaining redactions would give us any additional insight on anything? We know exactly what's still redacted, and I haven't seen anyone claim there's a hot potato lurking there.

Just catching up on this, dealing with family health issues.  Moderators should be neutral some have said.  Really great informative article.  Too bad it concludes with Trump as the only alternative.  This is a Non Sequitur for me.

Maybe this belongs in the Current Political Discussions topic.  I think consultation with other moderators/administrators is advised if they care to do so.  As alluded to, continuing personal issues take precedence.  Not tap dancing. 

For a bit, please be considerate of formal forum rules and decorum.  As well as accepted debate practices.   

Ron:

This is not political. There are people on this board who want to make it political.

This is about the JFK Act.  

To me that makes it about the JFK case. 

The CIA lied to the ARRB about all the documents concerning Joannides being personnel matters. That was false, as the Morley suit showed.

But further, as Morley discovered, the CIA sent a Top Secret message to Joannides in New Orleans in the summer of 1963 that the CIA classified as SI, meaning Special Intelligence. This is one of the things Morley was trying to get.  What the heck could that Ultra Secret message be about? And why is it still hidden?  Is it about the DRE, about the FPCC, or could it possibly be about Mexico City?

Biden will not talk about this issue.  At least I have not seen him do so. Expect pleading transparency, which is not what his executive order does, as Andrew showed in excruciating detail.

People like us have to use whatever means we have at our disposal.  

We are in no position to pick and choose. What Mark is doing is asking for the ARRB to be reinstated since that Act has become a mockery of itself.  I know this since I have seen the redactions.  I displayed some of them in public.  And anyone who buys into the current directory at NARA has not paid attention to the lawsuit in northern California.

Edited by James DiEugenio

6 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Ron:

This is not political. There are people on this board who want to make it political.

That's rich.  Mr. DiEugenio writes that the release of the files should be a campaign issue then he writes that it's not political.

Let me add, I have a special interest in this issue.

That is because I could have never written the second edition of Destiny Betrayed without the ARRB.   Some people think that is my best book.  

JFK Revisited is in large part based on the discoveries of the ARRB. Hundreds of thousands of people worldwide--in something like 17 countries-- were finally exposed to these new facts through that film.

K and K follows these new discoveries as closely as any site can.  IMO, the ARRB was a landmark in the history of the JFK case. That body changed the calculus of the JFK case in more than one way. Which is why the MSM did everything they could to ignore it.  As both Samoluk and Tunheim noted in Stone's film.

So I really do not like what has happened to that Act.  With both Trump and Biden.  Biden has actually disfigured it. So if Mark can get on Napolitano fine.  Maybe he can push the issue, which is clearly what he is trying to do.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Posted (edited)

This is the Newsweek take on the current, ongoing Trump-JFK Records discussion:

Donald Trump Confronted Over Unfulfilled Promise

Published Jun 21, 2024 at 11:53 AM EDTUpdated Jun 21, 2024 at 5:40 PM EDT
By Matthew Impelli
Writer
FOLLOW

Former President Donald Trump was asked this week about an unfulfilled promise he made while in office in 2017 involving the files on the assassination of former President John F. Kennedy.

On Thursday, Trump appeared on the All In podcast hosted by Chamath Palihapitiya, David Friedberg, David Sacks and Jason Calacanis, to speak about an array of topics ahead of the 2024 presidential election, and was asked about his promise to release of all information relating to the 1963 assassination of JFK in Dallas.

Palihapitiya asked Trump about the release of the information, "You said the first thing or one of the things you wanted to do was release the JFK file, and then you said later 'I saw it and I just I wasn't really ready to do it.' ...I'm just curious...what happened?"

In response to the question, Trump said, "I actually did do it. I released a lot, as you know, but when it came to the whole thing, I was hit by some people that work for me, who are great people that you would respect. They asked me not to do it, and I'm saying, 'Why? Tell me why?' ""And they said, 'Sir, I think it needs a little more time.' And I released a lot, but I said, if they feel so strongly, I respect the people, and would have done that again, but this time I'm just gonna do it," Trump added.

When further pressed on whether the CIA was involved in the assassination, Trump said, "I think CIA was probably behind it."

After he was elected to the White House, Trump vowed to release all of the information relating to the assassination of JFK while in the White House.

In a post to Twitter, now X, in 2017, Trump said he was planning to release the JFK files saying that after speaking with his then-chief of staff John Kelly and the CIA, "I will be releasing ALL JFK files other than the names and addresses of any mentioned person who is still living."

"I am doing this for reasons of full disclosure, transparency, and in order to put any and all conspiracy theories to rest," Trump wrote in the post.

In October 2017, Trump released some of the files relating to JFK's assassination which included 2,800 documents, but stopped the release of other information, Reuters reported.

In 2018, the White House said that other documents would be released "on a rolling basis," including "redactions in only the rarest of circumstances," by the end of the year, Reuters reported.

Last year, Trump further spoke about the JFK files saying that he planned to release further documents if reelected in 2024.

"When I return to the White House, I will declassify and unseal all JFK assassination-related documents," Trump wrote in a TruthSocial post in 2023. "It's been 60 years, time for the American people to know the TRUTH!"

Newsweek reached out to Trump's spokesperson via email for comment.

Edited by Benjamin Cole

Its getting into the MSM?

Holy cow Batman!

37 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Its getting into the MSM?

Holy cow Batman!

Well...I hope so. 

You know, the JFK Records Act is a huge story on its own. 

But it is even bigger than that. 

Are we going to have a government of law? Will we have a media that tries to hold government to law? 

In general, should the US government be transparent, or...should actors within the federal government be able to unilaterally declare documents secret in perpetuity? 

And...how can we have trust in a White House that willfully, indeed with extraordinary effort and chicanery, violates law and keeps secrets? 

What has happened to the JFK Records Act is corrosive to democracy.

As if we needed more distrust among citizens, government and the two major parties. 

44 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Well...I hope so. 

You know, the JFK Records Act is a huge story on its own. 

But it is even bigger than that. 

Are we going to have a government of law? Will we have a media that tries to hold government to law? 

In general, should the US government be transparent, or...should actors within the federal government be able to unilaterally declare documents secret in perpetuity? 

And...how can we have trust in a White House that willfully, indeed with extraordinary effort and chicanery, violates law and keeps secrets? 

What has happened to the JFK Records Act is corrosive to democracy.

As if we needed more distrust among citizens, government and the two major parties. 

Nothing restores faith in government like electing someone who plans to overthrow it.

1 hour ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Nothing restores faith in government like electing someone who plans to overthrow it.

CV-

Thanks for your commentary. 

I do not plan to vote for Trump, although Trump supporters should be as welcome in the EF-JFKA as Biden supporters. I hope every one considers their commentary in this light. 

For me, the JFK Records Act is not about tiresome partisan narratives and shout-downs, red or blue.  

My interest is in whoever is in the Oval Office honoring the JFK Records Act. 

3 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Here,Here!