The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

1 hour ago, Robert Wheeler said:

How about millions of people, including me, telling the government to go "F" themselves when they ask for their contacts.

They can then watch as their older and more sickly parents, and their friend's older and more sickly parents, die of covid-19. Just because of their refusal to cooperate.

But that'll be okay with them, because they got what they wanted.

"Let them die!"
Far right rallying cry.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my embarrassing plague journal entry for this week.

I broke my right clavicle in a bad crash while skating around a group of little kids in the park last Friday.  (30 years of rollerblading laps out there without a serious accident.)

Found an in network orthopod to fix my fracture, but his surgery center is not in network!  The only other surgery center that's still open got me in for tomorrow-- with a different surgeon.  But no ventilators-- so no general anesthesia.

I'm going for it, because the clavicle is broken in two places.

Bad time to break a bone for the first time in 63 years of skiing, racing motorcycles, playing football, getting bucked off of horses, and doing a lot of stupid stuff.

Edited by W. Niederhut

1 hour ago, Robert Wheeler said:

I separated my clavicle when I was 18. I needed surgery and pins to reattach.  I remember it being knocked out with general (or don't remember.)

It happens to bicyclists a lot.

Yes, indeed.  A biker friend advised me this week to go for the "maximum hardware."

Did your clavicle surgery work out well over time?

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

I broke my right clavicle in a bad crash while skating around a group of little kids in the park last Friday.  (30 years of rollerblading laps out there without a serious accident.)

Found an in network orthopod to fix my fracture, but his surgery center is not in network!  The only other surgery center that's still open got me in for tomorrow-- with a different surgeon.  But no ventilators-- so no general anesthesia.

Bad time to break a bone for the first time in 63 years of skiing, racing motorcycles, playing football, getting bucked off of horses, and doing a lot of stupid stuff.

All the best from another "junior senior".

1 hour ago, Ken Davies said:

All the best from another "junior senior".

Thanks, Ken.  I know I'm not the only 5 year old out there who is stuck in a 60+ year old body.

6 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

A former A&P Instructor I worked with  for many years (developed the course, now 800 students) broke his riding his bicycle by running into a electric pole guy wire while distracted.  In his early 60's he was back riding his bike in it seems like less than six months.  As I got along well with him I have to admit after his recovery, a couple of times in the hall with no students around, as he came toward me I'd duck my head and say "watch out for that guy wire Steve".  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Ron

Plague journal wise I don't get it.  They keep talking about opening things up, not about a national testing and tracing program.  The bell curve does have some positive indicators but also some decidedly important negative ones.  In the first chart look at the New Daily Cases In The US the last 5 days.  23,5K, 25, 31, then Thursday 33,665 but Friday 31,760.  Overall still going Up.  Next, notice US Active Cases/1000 people.  Going Up Every Day.  Last see Deaths & Recoveries, New Daily Deaths, 1502, 2368, 2477, then 6136 (?),  2516. Thursday seems a extremely high anomaly, but Friday is still up from Wednesday.  The US Death Rate is still going up daily.

https://coronavirusbellcurve.com/

So let's open Chili's back up, meet there for ribs and such, high fives, handshakes and huggs.

I'm frustrated over my mower.  My primary outside activity is fighting the spring onslaught of weeds which are going wild.  The mower steering shaft bearing has worn out and the gears are damaged on it.  Local shop = six weeks.  Change it yourself.  One damned phillips head bolt in the base of the shaft, under the frame, hard to get to.  Why didn't they use a hex head bolt a socket or wrench will fit on???

We've (wife and I) have returned to those thrilling days of yesteryear for me, before color tv.  We got our first one while living in Detroit suburb Flint in I think February 1968, from Sears, stayed up well past midnight watching it at 11 years old.  Been watching Laramie.  Guest stars in episodes 2 & 3 were Eddie Albert and Ernest Borgnine.  All I remember of Albert is from Green Acers.   He was outstanding as a crazy guy.  Next is Cheyenne.  Might have to watch a little McHale's Navy for comedic relief. 

38 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Plague journal wise I don't get it.  They keep talking about opening things up, not about a national testing and tracing program.  The bell curve does have some positive indicators but also some decidedly important negative ones.  In the first chart look at the New Daily Cases In The US the last 5 days.  23,5K, 25, 31, then Thursday 33,665 but Friday 31,760.  Overall still going Up.  Next, notice US Active Cases/1000 people.  Going Up Every Day.  Last see Deaths & Recoveries, New Daily Deaths, 1502, 2368, 2477, then 6136 (?),  2516. Thursday seems a extremely high anomaly, but Friday is still up from Wednesday.  The US Death Rate is still going up daily.

https://coronavirusbellcurve.com/

So let's open Chili's back up, meet there for ribs and such, high fives, handshakes and huggs.

I'm frustrated over my mower.  My primary outside activity is fighting the spring onslaught of weeds which are going wild.  The mower steering shaft bearing has worn out and the gears are damaged on it.  Local shop = six weeks.  Change it yourself.  One damned phillips head bolt in the base of the shaft, under the frame, hard to get to.  Why didn't they use a hex head bolt a socket or wrench will fit on???

We've (wife and I) have returned to those thrilling days of yesteryear for me, before color tv.  We got our first one while living in Detroit suburb Flint in I think February 1968, from Sears, stayed up well past midnight watching it at 11 years old.  Been watching Laramie.  Guest stars in episodes 2 & 3 were Eddie Albert and Ernest Borgnine.  All I remember of Albert is from Green Acers.   He was outstanding as a crazy guy.  Next is Cheyenne.  Might have to watch a little McHale's Navy for comedic relief. 

I used to watch Laramie and Cheyenne back in the days of B&W television in the wild West.-- Gus, Slim, and Clint Walker.

Can you clamp some vice grips on the Phillips head bolt?  (Sounds like one of those 20 minute repair jobs that end up taking three hours.)

As for me, I had my clavicle repair surgery done yesterday in a deserted outpatient surgery center over in Englewood.  Four bone fragments had to be bolted together with a metal plate -- and they did an excellent job, judging from the X-rays.

It is, apparently, the only regional surgical center that hasn't been closed until next month.

Thus far, the only thing interfering with a speedy recovery is reading about Trump's crazy "liberation" rebellions against stay-at-home orders in blue states.   The guy is nuts.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:00 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Thus far, the only thing interfering with a speedy recovery is reading about Trump's crazy "liberation" rebellions against stay-at-home orders in blue states.   The guy is nuts.

I think anyone old enough to remember the staged "Brooks Brothers"rumble with fake paid protesters bussed into Dade County, Florida in 2,000 to stop the vote/chad count senses strongly these "Stop The Lockdown" protests are more of the same.

Phony and staged.

It's embarrassing in it's obviousness.

Trump's people can't see that the majority of Americans "know" these protests are staged? 

And well over 60% of Americans polled don't want to go back to work this quickly,  because they know enough to know it isn't safe out there yet.

So Trump's public pronouncement statement that "America wants to go back to work" only applies to 40% of our population. Just another exaggerated and untrue Trump claim.

But Trump is going to try anything, even if staged, to bolster his re-election chances.

He knows that with the economy closing down with a possible threat of eventually being in shambles, he will be blamed and rejected.

He is ramming these fake protests down American's throats.

Edited by Joe Bauer

On 4/17/2020 at 10:06 PM, Ron Bulman said:

Been watching Laramie.  Guest stars in episodes 2 & 3 were Eddie Albert and Ernest Borgnine.  All I remember of Albert is from Green Acers.   He was outstanding as a crazy guy.  Next is Cheyenne.  Might have to watch a little McHale's Navy for comedic relief. 

Eddie Albert's done some good dramatic roles.  He's a nasty, corrupt politician in the Burt Reynolds movie Hustle (1975).  In Carrie (1952) he's a #metoo traveling salesman who gets to ruin Laurence Olivier's life, no less.  He's also the sadistic prison warden in the original The Longest Yard (1974), but that's played half for comedy.  He was underrated in Green Acres, where his straight-man reactions carry all the comic turns by the other performers.

Imagine him as Trump.

Edited by David Andrews

This is all planned this way by Trump and his advisors like Moore. Trump says something in public, it bombs, he takes it back, but then he and Moore communicate with conservative Christians and rightwing talk radio, and then they do stuff like this.

If you can believe it, Moore compares this to the ciivl rights movement and Rosa Parks--can't wait until he invokes MLK!

In other words, state governors trying to slow down and control the spread of an infectious deadly disease for the benefit of a whole population, this is the equivalent of using Gandhian civil protest tactics by African Americans to attain rights guaranteed to them in the civil war amendments.  But denied them by southern rightwing local politicians and groups like the Klan on the grounds of nothing but pure racism.

The modern conservative movement has always envied the fact that they had no moral equivalency to what they did that could compare in any way with the civil rights movement and anti war movement of the sixties, which the Kennedys and King rode on.  So this horrendous kind of rhetorical false mimicry is what they use to disguise the fact that what they are doing is nothing but pure politics: keeping their base active for the election.  And also hoping they break the stay at home social distancing technique  in time for the election. They don't want mail ins.

Edited by James DiEugenio