The Education Forum

Bob Dylan song about JFK assassination

The 1967 Dylan documentary "Don't Look Back" is on TCM tonight at 10 EST. It chronicles his last tour as an acoustic artist.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Pamela Brown said:

I did not even know about Masters of War, or With God on Our Side, or even A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall back then.  I had tuned Dylan out because of Like A Rolling Stone, which paralleled my life at that time a bit too closely...so don't feel bad...

But now I can say with great enthusiasm, with MMF and Bob on our side, who is ever going to believe the Warren Commission Report?  

Except, as James DiEugenio and Jefferson Morley have pointed out in their reviews, the M$M has generally managed to avoid talking about the real substance of Murder Most Foul.

As for Masters of War, one of the most striking things about the song is that it was written and recorded more than a year before the Gulf of Tonkin incident, and two years before LBJ's major escalation of the Vietnam War.

9 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Except, as James DiEugenio and Jefferson Morley have pointed out in their reviews, the M$M has generally managed to avoid talking about the real substance of Murder Most Foul.

As for Masters of War, one of the most striking things about the song is that it was written and recorded more than a year before the Gulf of Tonkin incident, and two years before LBJ's major escalation of the Vietnam War.

Yes, Jeff's insightful piece and Jim's comments point to something I am asking myself, and that is if the press is trying to muzzle Dylan. I would not be surprised at that.  

Amazing intuition Dylan has, or, otherwise, maybe some sort of intelligence connections.  He also performed A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall a month before the Cuban Missile Crisis.  Then he tried to claim on liner notes, later, that he had written it in response to the CMC.  

It is not unrealistic to me that the govt might attempt to use these major stars to control or condition their multitude of fans to events of military significance.  

On 6/26/2020 at 8:52 PM, David Andrews said:

Kidding,

Kidding,

Kidding,

Kidding,

Kidding.

No, it's fine.  Really.  I will tell you how out of it I was back then.  My first child was born at St. Mary's Hospital on Stanyan Street in San Francisco on Dec. 3, 1969.  While I was still in hospital, Altamont played out across the Bay, two days later, with it's tragic consequences.  Six weeks later we moved to Boston.  On my first outing without my baby I decided to go visit the Gardner Museum.  I took the MTA from Brookline, where we lived.  As I was sitting in the little waiting hut I looked up and saw huge black graffiti painted on the wall.  It said, "Keith Richard."  "How did they know my baby's name?" I asked...

On 6/26/2020 at 8:12 PM, Ron Ecker said:

The least controversial song that Dylan has ever written is probably "Wigwam." Here are the lyrics:

Da da dah da da.
Dada da-da dah de dum.
Da da-da dah da.
La da dah dede.
La dah dah dada dah.
Lah dada dah da-da dah.
Dah da dada dum dah.
La dah dah da-da dah dee.
Dah da daladah duh duh duh.
La dah dah da-da daaaaah.
Dah da dah uh uhhhhnn.
Da da dah da duhh.
/ Duh duh duh duun, da-da dah dah, da-da dah dahun da.
Du duh duh uh.
Dun dada dadada da.
Duh duh deeee de de dede da.
Nah nah a nah nah naaaah. /
La dah dede.
La dah dah da-da dee.
La dah dee.
Dun dun dun nee nah ha duh dee.
Dun nah na naha dee.
Da dada dah da da da dah.
La dah dah dada dah dee.
Du duh duh doo dee dede dee dede.

Thank you. I needed that. And do we know the name of this song? 

I decided to tackle the lyrics on a few songs from RARW today.  I will absolutely NOT listen to "My Own Version of You" Way too macabre for me.  I listened on Youtube to a bit of "Key West" and it has about three notes to it.  It screams 'Come Visit Key West' and will probably end up on some sort of commercial, if Jimmy Buffet doesn't beat him to it.  So,  I am not overly impressed with that either.

I had at one point considered just buying the cd's and taking a nice drive from where my horse is stabled North to Hanover, MN, which is a lovely small town nestled on the Crow River.  There is a delightful place called the River Inn where I thought I might stop for a bite to eat before heading back.  There is also a wonderful bridge from the 1800's where you can just chill and watch the river flow.  I have also been told Dylan's brother, David Zimmerman, has a farm in that area, which I thought would be a nice coincidence.

But no, I don't like the album well enough at this point to even want to listen to it all the way through.  For now, I will pick and choose.  For my driving music it is currently Beethoven's "Eroica", 3rd Symphony. Lots of energy and forward movement.  Never gets old...

Edited by Pamela Brown

20 minutes ago, Pamela Brown said:

No, it's fine.  Really.  I will tell you how out of it I was back then.  My first child was born at St. Mary's Hospital on Stanyan Street in San Francisco on Dec. 3, 1969.  While I was still in hospital, Altamont played out across the Bay, two days later, with it's tragic consequences.  Six weeks later we moved to Boston.  On my first outing without my baby I decided to go visit the Gardner Museum.  I took the MTA from Brookline, where we lived.  As I was sitting in the little waiting hut I looked up and saw huge black graffiti painted on the wall.  It said, "Keith Richard."  "How did they know my baby's name?" I asked...

Shirley you jest too... You named your first born son after Keef?

1 hour ago, Pamela Brown said:

I used to attend free Sunday afternoon concerts over at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum when I was a first year medical student living at Vanderbilt Hall, just one block away.

Beautiful place.  Fond memories.

Sadly, some burglars later stole a Rembrandt from that Italian Renaissance palace.

Edited by W. Niederhut

6 hours ago, Pamela Brown said:

Thank you. I needed that. And do we know the name of this song? 

"Wigwam."

Does anyone remember when a Dylan received a lifetime achievement award or something like that during what must have been the Grammies? I will never forget my shock when I realized that Dylan was singing Masters of War. I could barely recognize the lyrics. The lyrics are timeless and still so true. 

2 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Does anyone remember when a Dylan received a lifetime achievement award or something like that during what must have been the Grammies? I will never forget my shock when I realized that Dylan was singing Masters of War. I could barely recognize the lyrics. The lyrics are timeless and still so true. 

And, fortunately, Masters of War has been re-discovered, and covered, in recent years by a younger generation of musicians.

21 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Shirley you jest too... You named your first born son after Keef?

No. I think you may have missed my point.  I named him after my father and his father.  I had no idea who Keith Richard was until I saw the graffitti on the wall of the MTA station...

Edited by Pamela Brown

20 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

I used to attend free Sunday afternoon concerts over at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum when I was a first year medical student living at Vanderbilt Hall, just one block away.

Beautiful place.  Fond memories.

Sadly, some burglars later stole a Rembrandt from that Italian Renaissance palace.

Yes, it's a very wonderful place.  Awful robbery...https://www.gardnermuseum.org/organization/theft

14 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

"Wigwam."

Oh my...I've actually listened to that...or part of it (as I go on to the next track quickly when I really don't like something) when I was trying to make peace with Self-Portrait...which I was basically able to do...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigwam_(Bob_Dylan_song)

10 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Maybe Musicare's 2015 Person of the Year?

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/artists/bob-dylan