The Education Forum

"NOT EVER TO BE RELEASED TO ANYONE!" I wonder why?

1 hour ago, Vince Palamara said:

73472497_10219021095533858_1552737751038689280_o.jpg

Vince, who wrote that notation/order on the back of the photo?

And how did the photo get into the public realm despite that written command?

Seeing Jackie Kennedy in this and the other iconic swearing in photo always brings forth outraged anger in me at whoever compelled devastated Jackie to attend this impromtu ceremony.

Look at her face!

Her trauma, shock and grief is so powerful it's hard to look at her without feeling the horror yourself. She looks almost catatonic.

She needed medical and emotional support desperately. 

IMO I swear Jackie Kennedy's eye expression changed from that day to her dying one.

I always saw a bit of traumatized shock and grief in her eyes versus her much more innocent and relaxed eyes before 11,22,1963.

Edited by Joe Bauer

People can do what may seem like inappropriate things on such solemn occasions. (Or on any occasion at all.) Like Lady Bird's smile. (Grin and bear it? Some exchange with the judge?) Or the wink. (A gesture of encouragement, not one of congratulations.) I'm always reminded of a funeral scene in the movie Tom Jones. As soon as the ceremony is over, the Hugh Griffith character pats a grieving loved one on the back and says, "Well, cheer up."

Ron:

Nice to see you back.

1 hour ago, Ron Ecker said:

People can do what may seem like inappropriate things on such solemn occasions. (Or on any occasion at all.) Like Lady Bird's smile. (Grin and bear it? Some exchange with the judge?) Or the wink. (A gesture of encouragement, not one of congratulations.) I'm always reminded of a funeral scene in the movie Tom Jones. As soon as the ceremony is over, the Hugh Griffith character pats a grieving loved one on the back and says, "Well, cheer up."

I don't read much into Lady Bird's expression. It could be more of a pained expression than an outright smile.

The wink could also be explained away in a similar fashion, but it seems that whoever wrote "not ever to be released to anyone" on the back of the picture thought it didn't appear so innocent. Thomas' expression also seems much more like a genuine smile than Lady Bird's pursed lips.

In the past, I've always kind of set aside the concept of LBJ as the mastermind because there are so many people of that era who (rightly) bear a tremendous grudge against Johnson for his escalation of the Vietnam war. It seemed to me that this grudge could have possibly colored their thinking and lead to them suspecting a man that they already saw as a villain. But if one looks at the crime of killing JFK and asking who benefits, certainly LBJ would be at or very near the top of that list. We know that Johnson leaped into the cover-up immediately, and according to his statement to Walter Cronkite, didn't fully believe the conclusions of the Warren Commission in the end. To pin ultimate responsibility on the CIA or the Joint Chiefs of Staff or others high in the government would seem to acknowledge that the conspirators got lucky in that they had a Vice President waiting in the wings who could be counted on to actively support the official story once President. While it is certainly possible they did just get lucky, I tend to look with suspicion at any element of the JFK assassination that relies on luck.

1 hour ago, Joe Bauer said:

Denny,  I agree.

Indeed.  What's the point of a coup d'etat without installing an "acceptable" new leader?  And the Joint Chiefs, certainly, knew from their acrimonious meetings with JFK and the Cabinet that LBJ was their kind of Cold War hawk.

And LBJ, ever the skilled sociopath, was extremely careful about avoiding the appearance of betraying JFK-- hence, insisting that Jackie stand next to him at the swearing in, the cover up of NSAM 273's significance, and even the championing of (JFK's) Civil Rights reforms, which LBJ had helped bury in Congress for years.

Wasn’t LBJ going to be in some hot water over testimony being given the same day, or close to, 11/22? Was it Billy Estes or someone like that? 
If so, there’s some mighty fine leverage to get him to play along. You either become president or convicted criminal. Would explain why he was so angered about his buddy riding in the car with JFK while not necessarily being behind the whole thing.

Of course I could be completely mistaken. I’m eating a sandwich in one hand, typing in the other on my phone, and watching a beautiful 85 degree day on my lunch break. Not really in the books at the moment...

38 minutes ago, Jeffrey Reilley said:

Wasn’t LBJ going to be in some hot water over testimony being given the same day, or close to, 11/22?

https://spartacus-educational.com/JFKreynoldsD.htm

I've long suspected that LBJ had some generalized awareness of what was to happen, but I've never seen any good evidence that he had any specific knowledge of the plot, let alone that he was a prime mover.

LBJ's question to J. Edgar Hoover on the 23rd ("Were any of those bullets aimed at me?") would seem to indicate not only a lack of specific awareness of the plot, but also a legitimate fear in Johnson's mind that, to the plotters, he too was expendable.

Equally fascinating to me is the recent revelation that LBJ was eager to re-enter the 1968 presidential race in the summer of 1968!

LBJ called Chicago's Mayor Daley and:

"LBJ only wanted to get back into the race if Daley could guarantee the party would fall in line behind him.

They also discussed whether the president's helicopter, Marine One, could land on top of the Hilton Hotel to avoid the anti-war protesters.

Daley assured him enough delegates would support his nomination but the plan was shelved after the Secret Service warned the president they could not guarantee his safety."

I believe President Johnson feared assassination every day of his presidency, and not only or even primarily from the anti-war left. Instead, I believe LBJ knew who'd paid for and plotted Kennedy's assassination, and if he crossed those men over Vietnam (or anything else), then he knew what would happen to him . . .

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21768668

Edited by Paul Jolliffe

1 hour ago, Paul Jolliffe said:

Equally fascinating to me is the recent revelation that LBJ was eager to re-enter the 1968 presidential race in the summer of 1968!

If LBJ had indeed re-entered the presidential race in the summer of 1968, we might would be wondering today if Hubert Humphrey had anything to do with the assassination of LBJ.