The Education Forum

Heroes of the Kennedy Assassination Research Effort

11 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

It was Ron Ecker who nominated Gerald Posner. That surely was one of Ron's famous one-liners.  (And don't call me Shirley.)

I just checked this list and your name is not there.  It should be one of the first entries for your great work on the dental patterns of the two Oswalds.  Sorry, I will add your name.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the list so far.  If you think someone needs to be added please advise.  If you think something needs to be changed please advise.

As you can see I haven't added all of the descriptions yet.  I feel inadequate to this task so, if someone wants to add a brief description please do. 

This list of people involved with researching the Kennedy Assassination may be valuable for a person new to the subject.  It may help with where to seek information.  And, it may jog the memory of us old timers.  Please note any misspellings or errors and let me know for correction.

Jim Garrison- James Carothers Garrison (born Earling Carothers Garrison; November 20, 1921 – October 21, 1992) - District Attorney in New Orleans from 1962 to 1973.  He is best known for his investigations into the assassination of President John F. Kennedy by trying Clay Shaw as an assassination co-conspirator.  Wrote a best-seller in 1988, On The Trail Of The Assassins.

Mark Lane- is best known as a leading Kennedy Assassination researcher and author. Lane wrote many books on the assassination.  The best known is The Warren Commission, Rush to Judgement.  His last book was Last Word: My Indictment of the CIA in the Murder of JFK, published in 2011.

John Armstrong and Jim Hargrove:  John Armstrong was the author of Harvey and Lee.  Jim Hargrove has been a major supporter and over the years kept the Harvey and Lee notion alive.

The 2003 Fetzner Symposium:  Taken from the internet- The Zapruder Film Symposium, which was organized and moderated by Dr. James H. Fetzer on the Duluth Campus of the University of Minnesota, 9-11 May 2003, may well prove to have been among the most important conferences in the history of the study of the death of JFK.

James Fetzner- Dr. Fetzer published over 100 articles and 20 books on philosophy of science and philosophy of cognitive science, especially of artificial intelligence and computer science.  He wrote Assassination Science and Murder In Dealey Plaza.

Jack White-

John Costella

David Healey

Scott Lederer

David Mantik

Gaeton Fonzi

John Newman

Sylvia Meagher

Mae Brussell

Anthony Summers

Cyril Wecht

Penn Jones

Robert Tanenbaum

Robert Groden

David Lifton

L. Fletcher Prouty

Oliver Stone

Harold Weisberg

Judith Baker

William Weston

David Josephs

John Kowalski

Bart Kamp

Jim DiEugenio

John Hunt

Cliff Varnell

David Talbot

Doug Horne

Michael Chesser - A Review of the JFK Cranial x-Rays and Photographs- 2015- A Review of the JFK Cranial x-Rays and Photographs, was prepared and delivered by neurologist, Dr. Michael Chesser, at the 2015 JFK Lancer Conference in Dallas, Texas. His work also supports the findings of Dr. David Mantik.

Walt Brown

Ed Tatro- The JFK Conference- The Big Event.  Edgar F. Tatro is one of the pre-eminent experts on the Kennedy Assassination. 

Greg Burnham

Vincent Salandria

Peter Dale Scott

Robert Charles-Dunne

Michael Hogan

Ron Ecker

E. Martin Schotz- The Waters of Knowledge versus the Waters of Uncertainty: Mass Denial in the Assassination of President Kennedy- Coalition on Political Assassinations Conference Dallas, Texas 20 November 1998.

Anna Marie Kuhns Walko

Jerry Rose

Shirley Martin

Maggie Field

Gary Shaw

Wallace Milam

Debra Conway

Malcolm Blunt

Rex Bradford

Bill Simpich

Bob Dorff

Stu Wexler

Jim Lesar

Mary Ferrell

Gary Murr

Larry Hancock

Joseph McBride

Dick Russell

Josiah Thompson

Barry Ernst

Tom Wilson

James Douglas

Noel Twyman

Larry Harris

Sandy Larsen

Edited by John Butler

I too am slightly uncomfortable with the title hero being given to anyone who has done any research on the assassination. This is only my opinion. Perhaps "pioneers" or "figures of note" or some other title would be more appropriate.

In my view, the title of hero should be applied mostly to those who showed bravery in the face of danger. No doubt many researchers and authors have been pressured and threatened over the decades, and then continued to work. Their courage should be recognized and saluted. Of course the efforts of so many people contributing their time researching the assassination and sharing the results are greatly appreciated and also should be respectfully acknowledged as well.

In my personal opinion, the witnesses and researchers that had information that indicated a conspiracy and resisted pressure to change their stories or were threatened to remain silent but spoke up regardless, especially when there was little for them to gain and much to lose - those, to me, are the true heroes. Some of them did die at the hands of assailants looking to keep them quiet. It seems to me those are the names that are the most likely to fall through the cracks and be forgotten.

Either way, it's an interesting idea for a project that will help recognize the major figures in assassination research.

Thanks Denny,

You make many good and interesting points.  I would like to say that it is hard to agree on a definition of hero.  Others have different views.  This has been brought up several times.  I think this list will be categorized later as it becomes more complete.  There are several options here.  There could be a category of "True Heroes" or a similar title to indicate these people were killed, likely by the government, for what they knew and their effort to report what they knew.  Work has been done on this and I would like to include that in this list.  Jim Marrs lists 103 deaths of Kennedy Assassination connected people from the years 1963 to 1976.  He put an asterisk near suspicious deaths.  A list like that could be included.

Some people think some folks should not be on the list for various reasons.  From their point of view their reasoning is the correct view.  I think controversial people should be included and the reader will make the judgement on suitability and exclude whoever they wish.  This is currently in the form of a Word doc and can easily be changed to suit someone's interest.

Edited by John Butler

4 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

I appreciate Cory Santos nominating me but I don’t belong on this list. Spending 23 years tilting at windmills on the Internet doesn’t qualify. 

I beg to differ.  Even though we disagree from time to time, your work does need to be recognized and remembered.  As I said to Denny Zartman there are many definitions of hero.  Hero may have not been the right choice of words, but that is the way I look at it.  Others look at it differently.  I think we need to give the reader the option to decide. 

IMO, your work can't be ignored.

46 minutes ago, John Butler said:

If you think something needs to be changed please advise.

James Fetzner- Dr. Fetzer published over 100 articles and 20 books on philosophy of science and philosophy of cognitive science, especially of artificial intelligence and computer science.  He wrote Assassination Science and Murder In Dealey Plaza.

He didn't "write" either book. They are compilations from various authors. He merely compiled and published other peoples work.

Joseph McBride reminded us of the witnesses who came forward at great personal risk to tell what they saw, heard and experienced as true heroes.

How true.

A stand alone list of many of their names would make for another interesting, informative and inspiring thread and study guide.

Would even make a good JFK assassination book imo.

I'd like to see McBride's list of the most notable and credible ones in his opinion and research.

Even I ( like most of us ) know a few off the top of my JFK research layman head.

Roger Dean Craig, Julia Ann Mercer, Carolyn Walther, Victoria Adams, Sylvia Odio, etc.

Edited by Joe Bauer

On 4/13/2020 at 3:10 PM, John Butler said:

I recently posted on Jack White and Jim Marrs being my heroes of the Kennedy Research effort.  I would like to add to the list:

Jim Garrison

Mark Lane

John Armstrong and Jim Hargrove

The 2003 Fetzner Symposium:

James Fetzner

Jack White

John Costella

David Healey

Scott Lederer

David Mantik

I have left out many good and able men and women who have contributed to our understanding of the Kennedy Assassination.  If possible could you add more names to this list? 

I would like to add myself Colm Stephen Byrne for my exceptional theory of the shot being fired from the tower which once was on top of the Dal-Tex roof, and the bullets following the same  trajectory , as that established by the W.C via the TSBD 6th floor window.

4 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Would even make a good JFK assassination book imo.

I think we're talking about two different categories here. Generally speaking, witnesses and researchers. I agree that witnesses who took great risks about what they experienced can rightly be called heroes. There's already a couple of Who's Who books on the assassination that includes such folks. What I think would really be useful with regard to researchers would be a Who's Who in JFK Assassination Research, with each entry summarizing what that person contributed to or covered in research. Examples: Sherry Fiester on trajectories, Vince Palamara on the Secret Service, Cliff Varnell on the holes in the clothes. To make it easy, each person could write his or her own entry. Those deceased, of course, would have to let someone else do it. And the whole thing would then need an editor, in case some entrants go overboard about their own work (using Trumpian adjectives like "incredible," "huge," and "fantastic").

Pretty brave of Louisiana State Police officer Frances Fruge in taking Rose Cherami's claims so seriously he committed serious time and effort into trying to verify them.

And then later, working with Jim Garrison also.

Dorothy Kilgallen paid the ultimate price for committing herself into her full blown investigation of Ruby and the assassination. Now "there" is a hero.

11 hours ago, John Butler said:

I beg to differ.  Even though we disagree from time to time, your work does need to be recognized and remembered.  As I said to Denny Zartman there are many definitions of hero.  Hero may have not been the right choice of words, but that is the way I look at it.  Others look at it differently.  I think we need to give the reader the option to decide. 

IMO, your work can't be ignored.

Bless you, John. Great to hear!

I’d be comfortable in a category like:

Notable Internet Hobbyists

Drop the hero bit.

I nominate the late great Bernice Moore in this category.

Edited by Cliff Varnell