• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

40 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

I nominate this for understatement of the millennium. 

That nasty attack on Matthew from the side suggests you thought Jonathan was losing the debate, Matt.

Please try to contribute something constructive instead of this kind of cowardly ad hominem.

Edited by John Cotter

Regardless of one's opinions of Musk, or either political party, we should all be skeptical of the increasing alliances between between political parties (which can grant any number of regulatory or financial favors) and media. 

Really? Amazon gets huge contracts from the CIA (and Bezos owns the WaPo). No red flags there? Might this have something to do with the fact that the WaPo is relentlessly woke on every topic...but then goes mute on huge (and annual and rising) US military outlays and a global guard service for multinationals (mostly run by white males btw). 

Now Matt Taibbi is releasing information (given to him by Musk) on Twitter's love embrace with the Democratic Party. You can sneer at Musk and that is fine. Perhaps Musk has his own and selfish agendas, and is an eccentric embellisher of his own talents (in other words, Musk belongs in DC). 

But what if Musk is in fact unveiling a truth? Matt Taibbi thinks that he is. 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

“This is a battle for the future of civilization. If free speech is lost even in America, tyranny is all that lies ahead,” he tweeted Monday after vowing the files would “soon to be published on Twitter itself.”
…see more

Non sequitur alert...

I'm posting this for our rock historian, Cliff Varnell, our Irishman John Cotter, and any U2 fans on the forum.

I've been a U2 fan for almost 40 years, after I first saw and heard their New Year's Day video at a punk club in Greenwich Village in (?) '83, and bought a copy of the War album in Harvard Square.

So, I've been reading Bono's new memoir, Surrender, and learning a lot about Bono's childhood and teen years in Dublin.  His dad was Catholic and his mother, Protestant.

Well written and from the heart, as we would expect from this great man.

Bono has been on the talk show circuit recently-- Colbert, NPR-- but this is the best interview I've seen.

He talks about U2 in relation to punk rock beginning around 9:20 here.

In the book he tells a funny story about the band playing at a hardcore London punk venue before they became famous, and a local Brit yelling, "You need more punk in that monkey!" 🤥

Edited by W. Niederhut

1 minute ago, Ron Bulman said:

Putin shits himself, falling down the stairs?  I guess we should feel sorry for him.  Too bad he didn't break his neck.

Vladimir Putin falls down stairs and soils himself at official residence (msn.com)

If this is accurate, it somewhat confirms my layman's analysis that Putin is ill. 

Perhaps there is hope for a successor who can execute a face-saving Russian pull-out. 

3 hours ago, Matthew Koch said:

Twitter Release on the Hunter Lap Top 

DNC and Biden Campaign colluded with Big Tech to prevent the Hunter Biden Lap Top scandal from breaking and interfered with the election. 

Edited by Matthew Koch

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

Non sequitur alert...

I'm posting this for our rock historian, Cliff Varnell, our Irishman John Cotter, and any U2 fans on the forum.

I've been a U2 fan for almost 40 years, after I first saw and heard their New Year's Day video at a punk club in Greenwich Village in (?) '83, and bought a copy of the War album in Harvard Square.

So, I've been reading Bono's new memoir, Surrender, and learning a lot about Bono's childhood and teen years in Dublin.  His dad was Catholic and his mother, Protestant.

Well written and from the heart, as we would expect from this great man.

Bono has been on the talk show circuit recently-- Colbert, NPR-- but this is the best interview I've seen.

He talks about U2 in relation to punk rock beginning around 9:20 here.

In the book he tells a funny story about the band playing at a hardcore London punk venue before they became famous, and a local Brit yelling, "You need more punk in that monkey!" 🤥

MY favorite U2 song.  When fact is fiction and TV reality.

4 hours ago, John Cotter said:

That nasty attack on Matthew from the side suggests you thought Jonathan was losing the debate, Matt.

It shows nothing of the sort, as not a single person yet has lost an argument to the forum's resident MAGA spammer.

But I'm sure Matthew appreciates your efforts.

Are we condemned to repeat our history every 80 years or so?

1770's - the Revoltionary War.

1850's - forces arise that will tear our country apart in a Civil War in the 1860's

1930's - fascism arises in the 1930's that will tear the world apart in the 1940's.

2010's - fascism again arises that threaten to tear the world apart in the 2020's.

Steve Thomas

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

MY favorite U2 song.  When fact is fiction and TV reality.

Ron,

I don't think it's a stretch to say that the spirit of John and Bobby Kennedy lives on in the music of U2-- a deep concern about the plight of suffering humanity, and the quest for social justice and peace on earth.

The band was disillusioned and on the verge of breaking up when Bono and the Edge wrote, "Sunday, Bloody Sunday."  (Larry Mullen's snare was "the hook" for the song-- adapted from Larry's experiences in an Irish military drum corps.) They wanted to be more than rock musicians.  They wanted their music to make the world a better place. 

At the time, IRA leader Gerry Adams made scatological references to Bono, because the band was urging Americans to stop donating to the IRA. (Adams later shook Bono's hand, following the peace accords in Ireland.)

Edited by W. Niederhut