The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

There's a movie from 1967 titled "The President's Analyst."

Starring James Coburn.

There is a scene in the film where this supposedly typical suburban American family breaks out hand guns at the drop of a hat and is immediately ready to blow away any threat no matter how benign. The Ward and June Cleaver looking couple brandish their revolvers as if this is as normal as turning on the TV!  

Coburn as a fugitive psychiatrist they have befriended can't believe his eyes at this all American family's normalizing such aggressive gun display and deadly usage if needed.

This scene in this supposedly comedic yet darkly prescient film reminds me of this automatic rifle and pistol waving and aiming St. Louis MO couple who stood in their yard threatening to blow away the street protesters who breached the perimeter of their gated community.

As crazy as this average citizen gun crazy scenario seemed in 1967, it is actually reality in our nation now.

The President's Analyst is a 1967 American satirical Black comedy film written and directed by Ted Flicker, starring James Coburn, with cinematography by William A. Fraker, and a musical score by Lalo Schifrin. The film has elements of political satire and science fiction, including themes concerning modern ethics and privacy, specifically regarding the intrusion of the telecommunications monopoly, working with the US Government, into the private lives of the country's citizens. The film was released theatrically on December 21, 1967. Although initially not a commercial success, the film was reviewed favorably, eventually achieving cult film recognition.[3]

Plot[edit]

Psychiatrist Dr. Sidney Schaefer (James Coburn) is chosen by the US Government to act as the President’s top-secret personal psychoanalyst, from a referral by Don Masters (Godfrey Cambridge), a Central Enquiries Agency (CEA) assassin who vetted Schaefer while undergoing his own psychoanalysis. The decision to choose Schaefer is against the advice of Henry Lux (Walter Burke), the under-five-foot-six-inch director of the all-male Federal Bureau of Regulation (FBR). ("Lux" resembles "Electrolux," which like "Hoover", was once a famous make of vacuum cleaner.) Schaefer is given a home in affluent Georgetown, and assigned a comfortable office connected to the White House by a secret tunnel. From this location he is to be on-call at all hours, to fit the President's hectic schedule.

However, the President's Analyst has a unique problem: there is no one he himself can talk to about the President's ultra-top-secret and personal problems. As he steadily becomes overwhelmed by stress, Schaefer begins to feel that he is being watched everywhere until he becomes clinically paranoid; he even suspects his sweet girlfriend Nan (Joan Delaney) of spying on him as an agent of the CEA. All of Schaefer's paranoid suspicions eventually turn out to be true. Still worse, Schaefer has a habit of talking in his sleep.[3]

Schaefer goes on the run with the help of a "typical" American family who defend him against foreign agents attempting to kidnap him off the street. The gun toters.

He escapes with the help of a hippie tribe, led by the "Old Wrangler" (Barry McGuire), as spies from many nations attempt to kidnap him for the secret information the President has confided to him. Meanwhile, agents from the FBR seek him out on orders to '"liquidate" him as a national security risk. Eventually, Schaefer is found and kidnapped by Canadian Secret Service agents masquerading as a British pop group. Schaefer is rescued from the Canadians and an FBR assassin by Kropotkin (Severn Darden), a Russian KGB agent who intends to spirit him away to the Soviet Union. Kropotkin has second thoughts about his plan, following a psychoanalysis session with the doctor during which Kropotkin begins to come to terms with his unrealized hatred of his KGB-chief father. Now feeling he needs the good doctor's help to continue his self-analysis, he instead returns him to US soil.

Kropotkin arranges a pickup with his trusted CEA colleague Don Masters, but Schaefer is kidnapped again, this time by TPC (The Phone Company),

a far more insidious organization than the FBR or KGB, which had been secretly observing him. Taken to TPC headquarters in New Jersey, he is introduced to its leader (Pat Harrington, Jr.), who wants Schaefer's help in carrying out their plan for world domination. As the TPC leader makes his presentation, a camera closeup reveals electronic cables connected to one of his feet, revealing that he is actually an animatronic robot.

TPC has developed a "modern electronic miracle", the Cerebrum Communicator (CC), a microelectronic device that can communicate wirelessly with any other CC in the world. Once implanted in the brain, the user need only think of the phone number of the person they wish to reach, and they are instantly connected, thus eliminating the need for The Phone Company's massive and expensive-to-maintain wired infrastructure.

For this to work, every human being will be assigned a number instead of a name, and have the CC prenatally implanted. Schaefer is "requested" to assist the TPC scheme by blackmailing the President into pushing through the required legislation.

Masters and Kropotkin use their superspy abilities to come to Schaefer's rescue. They hand Schaefer an M16 rifle that Schaefer gleefully uses on The Phone Company's security staff. The trio emerge victorious from the ensuing bloodbath, but months later, as Schaefer and his spy friends are enjoying a Christmas reunion, animatronic executives from TPC are seen look on approvingly at a secret monitor, while "Joy to the World" plays in the background.

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Douglas Caddy said:

More than two dozen former employees of Liberty University break their silence on Falwell's reign of terror there

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/09/09/jerry-falwell-liberty-university-loans-227914

Thanks, Doug.  The three articles by this guy paint a useful picture of what goes on at Liberty.

13 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Who here thinks the RNC convention should have had more celebrities like the DNC, instead of so many regular people?

I mean, we learn so much from celebrities and they are always so grounded.

America loves celebrities, they are always so generous with their political opinions and dieting advice.

The DNC really has its pulse on the mood of the electorate. 

Again!

Bribe recipient Pam Bondi gave a speech denouncing nepotism.

image.jpeg.44b0413e35e980b2a1dce2701f130db6.jpeg

These loons have zero self-awareness.

1 hour ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Who here thinks the RNC convention should have had more celebrities like the DNC, instead of so many regular people?

Yeah, Kanye and Kid Rock.  Who deserve to be tied back to back and set adrift in an open boat.  Throw in a knife and fork and let them work it out.

Edited by David Andrews

I'm amazed that you people (excluding Robert Wheeler) can stomach watching the Trump cult convention. 

1 hour ago, Ron Ecker said:

I'm amazed that you people (excluding Robert Wheeler) can stomach watching the Trump cult convention. 

I’m with you, Ron.  I can only take multiple seconds recaps on cable news.  Instead I watch the NBA and binge watch Lucifer on Netflix.

3 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

I’m with you, Ron.  I can only take multiple seconds recaps on cable news.  Instead I watch the NBA and binge watch Lucifer on Netflix.

Last night I went with Turner Classic Movies, watching "Anne of Green Gables" and "Steamboat Round the Bend" with Will Rogers. Ordinarily I wouldn't have watched either one, but at least it was decent and heart-friendly fare.

1 hour ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Clearly a lot amazes you.

Yes, the Trump cult is certainly a lot.

9 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

I mean, we learn so much from celebrities and they are always so grounded.

America loves celebrities, they are always so generous with their political opinions and dieting advice.

The DNC really has its pulse on the mood of the electorate. 

Again!

😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣

I almost spat my Whiskey and Coke out. 🙈

I have seen a lot of funny Trump ones also but, these tickled me from a Hawaii based American pal’s Facebook:

9B6C6122-8382-4378-8DDD-4476C4892708.jpeg

5AA7B1CD-52D9-4552-8BF0-923D0F80EDA6.jpeg

89260688-F498-43E6-A492-270D24B809AA.jpeg

7BAD4F78-9747-444D-816F-A3D2864E8E62.jpeg

Edited by Chris Barnard
Typo

11 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Thanks, Doug.  The three articles by this guy paint a useful picture of what goes on at Liberty.

Liberty University has transformed under Jerry Falwell Jr.’s leadership. When he took over as president in 2007, the school, which is a nonprofit, had listed assets of just over $259 million on its then most recent IRS Form 990; in its filing for the fiscal year ending in June 2017, its assets surpassed $2.5 billion. That number is now more than $3 billion, according to public statements Falwell made in 2018.

Wonder how much of these church assets were used to employ the Miami Pool Boy at a much higher salary than his pool boy one?

7 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

Nosey neighbour complex. 🙂 

18 minutes ago, Chris Barnard said:

Nosey neighbour complex. 🙂 

Speaking of neighbors, I may have mentioned this before, but my next-door neighbors have a Trump flag in their front yard that says "Trump, 2020, No More Bullxxxx." I can't believe they're so stupid that they can't see the blatant irony of "Trump" and "No More Bullxxxx." They might as well have a flag up that says "We're Idiots."