The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

The Rules for Displacing an Ailing Presidential Candidate

By Brian C. Kalt

Sunday, October 4, 2020,

https://www.lawfareblog.com/rules-displacing-ailing-presidential-candidate

image.png.1ea423243d3a548400074b2cf998b1ff.png

"When presidential candidates die or drop out their parties can replace them up until the day the electoral college votes (this year December 14). In a grim situation where the president-elect dies after the electoral college vote but before the inauguration, the 20th Amendment provides that the vice president-elect swears in on January 20."

"Now imagine the following hypothetical scenario: President Wilcox is running for reelection. About a month before the election, she contracts an infectious disease that makes her seriously ill. She feels horrible and her prognosis is unclear. But for now she is conscious and able to communicate. She refuses to invoke Section 3 of the 25th Amendment to transfer power to the vice president, and she refuses to drop out of the presidential race. “I intend to get better,” she says in a statement she makes from the hospital, “and when I do, I will return home to the White House—even if I’m not better until after January 20, because I’m sure we are going to win.”

At this point in the story, it matters whether President Wilcox is a Democrat or a Republican. Here, it’s party rules—not state or federal law—that provide the relevant process. The Democratic Party’s Rule F states:

In the event of death, resignation or disability of a nominee of the Party for President or Vice President after the adjournment of the National Convention, the National Chairperson of the Democratic National Committee shall confer with the Democratic leadership of the United States Congress and the Democratic Governors Association and shall report to the Democratic National Committee, which is authorized to fill the vacancy or vacancies

The Republicans’ Rule 9(a) is even more vague:

The Republican National Committee is hereby authorized and empowered to fill any and all vacancies which may occur by reason of death, declination, or otherwise of the Republican candidate for President of the United States or the Republican candidate for Vice President of the United States, as nominated by the national convention, or the Republican National Committee may reconvene the national convention for the purpose of filling any such vacancies.

But even more problematic would be state ballot requirements. If the party acted early enough in the process—say, shortly after the convention, well before states printed their ballots—they could replace a candidate. In 1972, Democratic vice-presidential nominee Thomas Eagleton dropped out on August 1, less than three weeks after the Democratic convention. A few days later, the party replaced him on the ticket with Sargent Shriver. Eagleton had been convinced to step down, but even if the party had ousted him against his will, there still would have been plenty of time to get him off and Shriver on ballots. But the closer it is to Election Day, the harder it will be to change the ballots, given the logistical challenge of re-printing and re-distributing ballots. And this year’s pandemic election only increases the difficulty of a late-stage replacement. With early and absentee voting looming larger than ever, it would be likely that the party would have no way to change the name on the ballot. As a result, the party would have no choice but to confuse and upset voters by telling them to vote for Candidate A by marking their ballot for Candidate B."

Steve Thomas

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Steve Thomas said:

Kayleigh McEnany has now tested positive.

This is just decimating the White House.

I haven't heard anyone talking about deep cleaning the building.

Will our Seat of Government have to relocate?

Steve Thomas

Communication at the White House is so bad, people don't even know if they are supposed to show up for work or not.

A West Wing meltdown

Jonathan Swan, Alayna Treene, Mike Allen

https://www.axios.com/trump-coronavirus-mark-meadows-west-wing-65fb1a74-59b4-4cb3-9326-47aa7d83b946.html

Two of McEnany's deputies have also now been tested positive.

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

15 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

So true. Now to disturbing degrees. 

This SS health risk drive by event was just crazy.

As reported over and over by disaffected former aides and staff throughout his entire term, the problem with Trump is he "doesn't follow advice" except when his staff ( as a unified begging team) finally get it through to him that he "must" do or say certain rectifying things to hopefully mitigate the most truly damaging words he has spoken or actions he has taken.

Trump obviously does what he wants despite contrary staff advise so often however, even they must feel it borders on mental illness.

A latest example is Trump's 3 day delayed public condemnation of "the Proud Boys" ( weak and obviously insincere as it was ) only after his failure to do this when asked in the debate created a nation media firestorm and drop in the polls. His staff must have had to do a lot of spoiled child coddling to get him to do this.

Same with this latest impulsive ego need desperate, show boat, drive-by joy ride.

Couldn't the guy simply do a Ronald Reagan/ Michael Jackson hand waving, kiss blowing window appearance to his clamoring fans below? Rather than putting SS agents at risk?

If Trump isn't "purposely" trying to lose the election, then his judgement abilities are regressing to disturbing levels.

I heard that Trump just put out 17 new tweets!  Isn't that obsessive?

It seems Trump is truly "addicted" to attention feeding audience reacting performances.  LOOK AT ME! LOVE ME! CHEER ME! BUY ME! 

Ego maniac Trump has always been a news media attention hound/drug addict.

Having his name "TRUMP" emblazoned everywhere in the most bold, bright light public display way.

Decades of appearing on countless TV and radio talk shows and at press, sporting, beauty pageant and other major news covered events and dozens of cameos in other TV shows, national advertisements and major production films.

Culminating with his being the star of his own major national syndication TV shows!

It never ends and ... "It's never enough!"

Trump's estranged niece Mary Trump perfectly nailed this defining obsessive trait of her uncle in her recent tell-all expose book " Too Much And Never Enough. How My Family Created The World's Most Dangerous Man."

She knew her uncle's greatest character failings well ... and now most Americans do too.

This is the best headline so far from this:

https://www.salon.com/2020/10/05/donald-trump-jr-wants-to-stage-an-intervention-because-he-thinks-his-dads-acting-crazy-report_partner/

Donald Trump Jr. "wants to stage an intervention" because he thinks his dad's "acting crazy"

"President Trump won't have to recover from COVID.

COVID will have to recover from President Trump. #MAGA"

— Rep. Matt Gaetz (@RepMattGaetz) October 5, 2020

It's all just a big joke to these clowns.

The Party of Stupid.

Steve Thomas

I actually feel more pity for the SARS-CoV-2, that have Trump than I do for Trump, who has COVID-19. 

10 minutes ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

This is the best headline so far from this:

https://www.salon.com/2020/10/05/donald-trump-jr-wants-to-stage-an-intervention-because-he-thinks-his-dads-acting-crazy-report_partner/

Donald Trump Jr. "wants to stage an intervention" because he thinks his dad's "acting crazy"

If this is true then Trump really is circling the drain. 

Trump Tweets: 

Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life. We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge.

Of course only the privileged have access to these "..really great drugs...".

More evidence, as if any more evidence was needed, that the man is a narcissistic sociopath. Donald Trump is a clear and present danger to the citizens of the United States. 

Edited by Robert Burrows

3 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Exactly Steve, U.S. White House turned into a Trump sh-th-le, beyond Trump's worst Third World imaginings!

And that was before this pandemic.

- Donald Trump -

“Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!”

I know...

Let’s all have Covid parties! We can all get naked and jump in the jacuzzi and drink and play and have a great time! It’ll be fun!

Steve Thomas

Donald Trump:

"Don't be afraid of covid"  ... ???

I gotta believe that every family member of the 210,000 American people who have died from covid infection ( most torturously) and those hundreds of thousands if not millions of medical personnel that cared for them would be incredibly offended by Trump's covid downplaying and dismissive quote.

- Donald Trump -

“Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!”

Steroids, including Dexamethasone, commonly cause temporary euphoria.

But only Donald Trump could turn a putative recovery from a potentially fatal infection-- which has now sickened many of his closest associates -- into yet another occasion for lethal disinformation.

15 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Watching Joe, I can't muster up the same level of hatred many of you guys here have for the Orange Man.

Lots of people hate Trump. The Clintons, the Bushes, the McCains, Romney, Senior Obama appointees. 

I think most on the Trump side just feel sorry for Joe Biden.

Why would you hate Biden? He can be criticized for a lot of things, but is Biden a hateful human being? The kind of hatred aimed at Donald Trump has to be earned, and Trump has earned it well. He works at hateful day and night.

29 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

I think most on the Trump side just feel sorry for Joe Biden.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/519731-trump-removes-mask-upon-arrival-at-white-house

The president posed for photos and appeared to be taking part in a video shoot following his return to the executive mansion after spending three days undergoing treatment for COVID-19 at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. After landing in Marine One, Trump walked up the stairs of the South Portico, removed his mask and looked over the balcony.

The president was near an official photographer, and other staffers could be seen behind him. He did not put his mask back on as he turned to walk back into the White House.

What’s not to hate about Donald Superspreader?