The Education Forum

Olive Branches to Jeff Carter, & Robert Wheeler

On 11/10/2020 at 2:40 PM, Jeff Carter said:

While I assume Cliff was either drunk or overwhelmed by sentimentality when starting this thread

lol

Jeff, maybe Cliff is starting to sense you were right about Russia Gate after all and this is his first step in coming to terms with it?

On 11/10/2020 at 2:40 PM, Jeff Carter said:

4) Monopolist privately-held social media companies can now - without much controversy - censor, de-platform, “fact-check”, and prevent real-time discussion of current events, a dangerous spin into authoritarian models of speech which resulted largely from pressure by America’s liberal intelligentsia.

I agree with all of your points, especially number 4. This BigTech/BigPharma Medusa that has increased so much in power under the "liberal" pressure as you say, is to me the real long term threat here. The reality that the Biden faction is completely in step with that is stronger evidence of fascism than most of what Trump is accused of.

Even FoxNews appears to be not providing Trump supporters with what they believe is the correct narratives. Chris Ruddy's Newsmax is picking up a lot of those people from my understanding, isn't that the guy who started the Vince Foster garbage? Not good.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Dennis Berube said:

lol

Jeff, maybe Cliff is starting to sense you were right about Russia Gate after all and this is his first step in coming to terms with it?

Now now Dennis.  Just because I don’t believe in dropping the F-bomb any more doesn’t mean I won’t respond to staggering ignorance with my signature condescension and ridicule.

7 hours ago, Dennis Berube said:

On 11/10/2020 at 6:48 PM, Paul Brancato said:

Cliff - thanks for the Punk Rock education, and especially Pussy Riot. 

I’m glad you’re enjoying the thread, Paul.  Pussy Riot is all-around great.  More of an eclectic collective than a band.

We have all kinds of music on this thread.  What are the chances of you posting some of your music, Paul?

3 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

I’m glad you’re enjoying the thread, Paul.  Pussy Riot is all-around great.  More of an eclectic collective than a band.

We have all kinds of music on this thread.  What are the chances of you posting some of your music, Paul?

If and when I figure out how to do it and what to share. No point in posting SF Symphony archival footage is there? 

I was living in Providence back in the 70s when David Byrne and the Talking Heads started out at the Rhode Island School of Design.   (Their first big hit was "Psycho Killer," on the '77 album.)  And I used to go out and listen to punk bands perform at the Rat in Boston's Kenmore Square when I was in med school there from 1979-83.  In those days, there were a lot of punked out teenagers hanging around Boston's subways with mohawk haircuts, black clothes, safety pin piercings, etc.

But, honestly, I was never all that wild about most of the cacophonous punk rock stuff, especially if it was out-of-tune.  I gravitated more toward the euphonious sounds of Bob Marley, the Police, U2, and Sting's solo work in the 80s.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Here's the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain performing the Talking Heads punk rock classic, Psycho Killer.

Edited by W. Niederhut

2 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Early 80's Boston Area Punk - one of my favorites

Foo fighters like. Cool sound. I agree with W though - there’s a point where Punk becomes stupid and all sounds the same. 

Edited by Paul Brancato

I agree with Paul, it does get repetitive.

As much as I don't agree with Jeff . I do think Jeff's response was much more real than Wheeler's music. Particularly since the Minuteman asking "What are we doing in Central America" and Wheeler voted for Bush interventionists policies in Central America for the next 20 years of his life. Obviously, just as a passing fad,  he was just playing out youthful angst against himself.

Cliff, Now it' time to put on your big boys pants and seek forgivance from Di Eugenio.

Ha ha ha!

Since we're all interested in history here, I'm going to post an obscure Rocky Mountain footnote in the history of American punk rock.

So, when I moved back to Denver in 1983, after living in New England for eight years, I was very disappointed with the local live punk rock and jazz music scene.  (Boston was teeming with punk bands and great jazz musicians from places like the Berklee School of Music.)

But there was one punk rock band in Denver that was surprisingly good, in my estimation -- the Kamikaze Klones, from Evergreen, Colorado, (of John Hinckley, Jr. fame.)  I went to several of the Klones' performances at a local club called The Mercury Cafe in about 1983-84, (including a show where two of the band members were arrested in the parking lot for possession of cocaine between sets.)

The Klones wrote songs like, Give Texas Back to the Mexicans-- a punk parody of Paul McCartney's song, Give Ireland Back to the Irish.

One of the Klones later became a patient of mine, and told me the inside story of their rise and fall in the 80s.  Even at the height of their considerable local popularity-- which included one or two out-of-state tours-- the band never earned enough money to live on, especially since most of the money went up their noses.

This low budget video, filmed at Denver's old Larimer Street wino district, (of Jack Kerouac/Neal Cassidy fame) doesn't really do justice to the quality of the Klones' live performances back in the day.

Edited by W. Niederhut

Biden Watch

Biden: I was right about Libya

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/joe-biden-libya-wrong-224595

"My — my question was, 'OK, tell me what happens?,'" Biden recalled. "'He's gone. What happens? Doesn't the country disintegrate? What happens then? Doesn't it become a place where it becomes a — Petri dish for the growth of extremism? Tell me. Tell me what we're gonna do."

Rose responded, "And it has."

"And it has," Biden said, going on to say that the United States should not use force unless the interests of the country or its allies are directly threatened, whether it can be done "efficaciously" and whether it can be sustained. </q>

Biden likely to break barriers, pick woman to lead Pentagon

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/biden-likely-break-barriers-pick-woman-lead-pentagon-n1247842

From Michele Flournoy's wiki:

In 2011, in the midst of the Arab Spring and popular street uprisings, Flournoy, then Undersecretary of Defense for Policy, helped persuade President Obama to intervene militarily in Libya, despite opposition from members of Congress and key White House advisors, such as Joe Biden, Vice President; Tom Donilon, National Security Advisor; and Robert Gates, Defense Secretary.[29]. Flournoy supported the NATO-led imposition of a no-fly zone over Libya to oust resistant leader Muammar Gaddafi, accused of ordering the killing of demonstrators and promising to "hunt the rebels down and show no mercy."[29] Flournoy said imposition of a no-fly zone necessitated first destroying Libya's air defenses with U.S. and British cruise missiles targeting the Libyan missile defense system, and U.S. B-2 bombers attacking Libyan airfields.[1] In a 2013 conversation with the Council on Foreign Relations, Flournoy said she had supported US military intervention on humanitarian grounds.[30] Critics who disagreed with Flournoy described the war on Libya as "disastrous" in its destabilization of entire regions in the Middle East and North Africa,[31] facilitating the transfer of arms to extremists across countries. Two years after the ouster of Muammar Gaddafi, Flournoy defended the U.S. military intervention in Libya, telling the Council on Foreign Relations: “I think we were right to do it.” </q>

Biden doesn't have a problem hiring women with whom he's had sharp disagreements.

We'll see...