The Education Forum

Destiny Betrayed 2022

Thoughts on Chapter Four.

John Newman, and others on Bagley.  Oswald was a Witting Defector.  That's the story the documents tell!  From Angleton's non files to no pay his last quarter with the USMC to his sponsored repatriation and more.  Slam, Bang, Dunk!

Jeff Morley, we knew nothing about this man, to Blakey about Joannidies.  Hearing Blakey himself, head of the HSCA say it.  They (the CIA) lied to the Warren Commission, they lied to the ARRB, they lied to the HSCA. 

The Secret Service, required to produce records by the ARRB act, November 1963 threats - missing.   1995, destroyed remaining documents.  Without Vince Palamara and Survivor's Guilt we wouldn't know Anything about the SS involvement, which was compartmentalized jmo.

Including the chump as a tool does bring it all from then to now.

Again, RFK Jr was a masterful part of the ending.  His "connecting the dot's"  piqued my wife's limited interest in the subject.  Out of the blue she asked when did Malcom X die?  ??? Where did that come from?  Which led to JFK-Malcom X-MLK 4/68-RFK 6/68, Nixon finally elected without any Kennedy opposition.

Then she asked me, what was Watergate all about?  Ahh.  Have you ever heard about the building or the plumbers?  Good job Jim.   

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Which led to JFK-Malcom X-MLK 4/68-RFK 6/68, Nixon finally elected without any Kennedy opposition.

Then she asked me, what was Watergate all about?

That always makes me think about Nixon's quote regarding "the whole Bay of Pigs thing."

[CIA officer E. Howard] "Hunt knows too damn much", Nixon told his chief of staff H.R. "Bob" Haldeman. He instructed Haldeman to approach Richard Helms of the CIA and have the Agency intervene with the FBI's investigation of the Watergate break-in. Nixon told Haldeman to tell Helms that "it's likely to blow the whole Bay of Pigs thing which we think would be very unfortunate for CIA and the country at this time, and for American foreign policy."

Helms refused to use CIA to obstruct justice, but Haldeman in his memoirs wrote that Helms was unnerved and had shouted back at him "The Bay of Pigs had nothing to do with this. I have no concern about the Bay of Pigs."

What was going on? The Bay of Pigs nominally refers to the failed 1961 invasion of Cuba by CIA-backed Cuban exiles, something that was hardly a secret. The phrase was clearly a coded one; Haldeman later wrote that he believed the two men were "actually referring to the Kennedy assassination."

https://www.maryferrell.org/pages/Featured_The_Bay_of_Pigs_Thing.html

7 minutes ago, Denny Zartman said:

That always makes me think about Nixon's quote regarding "the whole Bay of Pigs thing."

https://www.maryferrell.org/pages/Featured_The_Bay_of_Pigs_Thing.html

It makes me think about the only one who could have beaten Nixon in 1968 being eliminated. 

Denny:

Some guy put the less edited AF One tape for sale, i think it was on Ebay.  That one has a part that was cut out, that is LeMay's aide de camp, I think his name was Dorman, trying to get into contact with his plane as it comes into Washington.  But yet, LeMay does not reply to his repeated messages. (I think both Bill Kelly and Horne have made transcripts of this.)

As Horne describes in the film, it was not just that refusal to acknowledge that is an anomaly.  Why did LeMay lie about where he was that day?  Also, why did he break orders and land at National instead of Andrews?  In talking to Newman about the last: 1.) Too many cameras at Andrews, and 2.) National was closer to Bethesda.

Thanks so much Ron. 

Nice summary of the last chapter.

This one is so cool I have to post it here.  Richard Otto is an accomplished author who has written three books on the Military Industrial Complex and what happened to America in the sixties. He wrote this on FB:

I watched JFK: Destiny Betrayed yesterday the 4-hour documentary on JFK's legacy and assassination as revealed by all the documents, witness testimonials and forensic evidence that was declassified by the Assassination Records Review Board that was the enforcement arm of the 1992 JFK Records Act, as presented through a panoply of experts. The narrative was written by researcher and author James DiEugenio and directed by Oliver Stone. I was so enthralled by the nuanced and informed views of all those who participated, which provided a compelling explanation for what happened in Dealey Plaza and why, as well as the vision of America that died that day, that I watched all 4 episodes that afternoon. I plan to watch it again with friends and family.

We are now living the consequences of that seminal moment in our history. With the current war in Ukraine and the economic crisis looming over the next horizon, you may dismiss this as ancient history that has no relevance to the dire and dangerous world that we find ourselves in today. By doing so, you will be depriving yourself of the historical context that is necessary to completely comprehend the perilous course we have followed since that dark day that has deposited us in our present circumstances. It, therefore, is a must watch for anyone who wants to know how we became the nation we currently live in. And even more than this, what might have been.

This documentary should be required in every American history course in high school.

If you take the time to watch it on Amazon, iTunes or some other platform, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Fantastic job all round - the four-parter is simply excellently produced and engrossing. At the same time it is complementary to the 2-hour film: I.e. they are two versions of the story rather than merely a longer film with a condensed alternate. The integration of the narrative threads - the assassination mystery, JFK’s troubled relationship with the national security bureaucracy, and development of real alternative foreign policy - across the four episodes rather than separating them into episodic topics serves to involve the viewer with the tricky process of formulating the “big picture”. The use of the two narrators aids this process. Technically, the sharp utilization of graphics succeeds in keeping the narrative threads on track, and Richardson’s lighting of the interview subjects is top-shelf work which subtly enhances the viewing experience. The focus on the ARRB will not only be informative for many, it keeps the emphasis on the documented factual record and the hard leg-work required to establish such.

Jim - there is a book to be released, but will there also be a physical Blu-Ray/DVD and will this include more materials (commentary etc)?

Thanks so much Jeff.  And I know you work in that field: The 50 reasons for 50 years series.

The book will have the annotated scripts of both films and what was left out of  the interviews.  Which was a lot. As I have said we could have easily gone to six hours.

The DVD package will have both films plus a commentary track by Oliver and myself.  Which he and I are taping this week.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Just purchased on Amazon can’t wait to watch, hope I can get some friends to open their minds and hearts too. So important now when the world we live in is so far from the one JFK envisioned. 

4 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Thanks so much Jeff.  And I know you work in that field: The 50 reasons for 50 years series.

The book will have the annotated scripts of both films and what was left out of  the interviews.  Which was a lot. As I have said we could have easily gone to six hours.

The DVD package will have both films plus a commentary track by Oliver and myself.  Which he and I are taping this week.

Jim, OUTSTANDING job on the documentaries (both 2 hour and four hour versions)! It is THE best one ever made by a country mile.

Everyone was snapping photos of Oliver Stone in Dallas a couple years back. That is cool and all, but I was saying "Look!! There's Jim DiEugenio!!" :)

No photo description available.

17 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

This one is so cool I have to post it here.  Richard Otto is an accomplished author who has written three books on the Military Industrial Complex and what happened to America in the sixties. He wrote this on FB:

I watched JFK: Destiny Betrayed yesterday the 4-hour documentary on JFK's legacy and assassination as revealed by all the documents, witness testimonials and forensic evidence that was declassified by the Assassination Records Review Board that was the enforcement arm of the 1992 JFK Records Act, as presented through a panoply of experts. The narrative was written by researcher and author James DiEugenio and directed by Oliver Stone. I was so enthralled by the nuanced and informed views of all those who participated, which provided a compelling explanation for what happened in Dealey Plaza and why, as well as the vision of America that died that day, that I watched all 4 episodes that afternoon. I plan to watch it again with friends and family.

We are now living the consequences of that seminal moment in our history. With the current war in Ukraine and the economic crisis looming over the next horizon, you may dismiss this as ancient history that has no relevance to the dire and dangerous world that we find ourselves in today. By doing so, you will be depriving yourself of the historical context that is necessary to completely comprehend the perilous course we have followed since that dark day that has deposited us in our present circumstances. It, therefore, is a must watch for anyone who wants to know how we became the nation we currently live in. And even more than this, what might have been.

This documentary should be required in every American history course in high school.

If you take the time to watch it on Amazon, iTunes or some other platform, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed.

Great quote. Jim - I join the chorus praising your work. it’s so nice to see it laid out in a timely and organized fashion, putting everything into context. Destiny Betrayed - two words - is the perfect summation of why we should care. 

One thing I think the film does is illustrate the depth of the subject to those not familiar with it.  I think it raises questions for them and they will want to know more.  And there is so much more.  Elladio DeValle (sp?) and David Ferrie dying the same night, how and why.  The Secret Service.  Shaw, Bannister, the DRE, New Orleans go so much deeper.  Angleton, Scott's safe and Mary Meyer's Diary and more on him.  The question RFK didn't answer.  Do you think your Father and Uncle's deaths were related?

Jenkins, Law and others regarding the autopsy.

The film is excellent in so many respects.  The best thing ever done on the subject.

But it leaves me wanting more!   I'm ready for parts 5,6,7,8 maybe 9,10?

It was really nice to see in particular Debra Conway and David Talbot n the film for me. 

Debra, what she's done to keep the conferences going, without which the subject might have disappeared can't be overstated, in addition to her research.  I regret I've never, yet, attended one, but I've learned so much as a result of them. Plus she lives in Southlake, Texas where my wife used to teach our children at a daycare there, where I once had another girlfriend (before I knew my wife) and used to roam around in the sticks, back then.

Seeing, hearing David Talbot speak, important information and insight, after his health scare a few years ago was rewarding.  Where would we be without "Brothers" or maybe more especially "Devils Chessboard".  I'll never forget the burrito story.  I laughed out loud.  

BTW, that is a true story that Vince tells.  When Oliver and I walked into the Trine Day conference, everybody wanted to take a picture with Stone.  Except for VInce.  He wanted to take a pic with me.  😀

Ron, about Talbot, that interview was done in San Francisco and was conducted by me.  (Oliver did the vast majority though.)

The interview was so good that the tech guys--the tech guys, camera operator etc.--said, "Jim, is the next guy as good as this guy was?"  It was pretty close, as Mantik was the next guy.

I cannot be more flattered that people are calling it the best JFK documentary ever.  And yes, it could have been even longer, wait for the book.

Dr. Donald Miller, an interviewee for the film, dropped me a note.

He loved the four hour version and said you could see all the work that went into it.

At the end with the Peace Speech, it brought him to tears.

If you are not aware of this, the whole four parter can be purchased on Amazon for 12 bucks.

That is a steal. three dollars per hour.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B09PVNCNKR/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r