The Education Forum

To the members from Great Britain

Steve Thomas

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To our friends in the United Kingdom:

My most heartfelt condolences for the loss of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, the longest reigning monarch in British History.

Those of us across the pond will never forget her break with a 600 year old tradition by requesting the Band of the Coldstream Guards play the "Star Spangled Banner" ( US National Anthem ) at the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace after the attacks of 9/11.

America has lost a dear friend and we all share in your grief.

Edited by Gil Jesus

My condolences as well. What an extraordinary person she was. It felt like everything shifted somehow when her death was announced.

I had the privilege of seeing her and the Royal family in Edinburgh, when they met with the King of Norway. 

As a U.K. member of this Forum, I find it quite touching to read all the above posts.

I was born in the year that Elizabeth had her coronation, so it really appears to be the end of a long era in British history.

My family tree contains some American cousins and I am always surprised at their admiration of British royalty, as I myself am no royalist.

In U.K. the British press and media feed almost a daily dose, almost 365 days of the year, of royal copy that I find cringeworthy.

Having said that, Elizabeth's reign must measure against the greatest of our monarchs, Alfred, Edward III or the first Elizabeth.

As to the future King Charles III, he and his brother Andrew are my least considered members of this family....the future of the house of Windsor should be interesting.

13 minutes ago, Pete Mellor said:

My family tree contains some American cousins and I am always surprised at their admiration of British royalty, as I myself am no royalist.

As a young person, I saw the royal family as a real live fairy tale. For an American it's quite an odd thing for a democracy to have a king or queen.

The Queen seemed to be so nice and even down to earth. I think that most Americans who paid attention loved or liked her.

I don't think that Americans are awfully fond of Charles. Not that I understood the situation well, but I always felt sorry for Princess Diana. And I admit that, at my young age then, I had a bit of a crush on her. Woo-hoo!

23 minutes ago, Michael Davidson said:

As a Brit can i just say this

Apparently not. The uploader hasn't made those videos available to us Americans. At least that's what the message says in my browser.

All for the better tho. What you said isn't very... befitting. To say the least.

2 hours ago, Michael Davidson said:

Dont believe the hype a lot of us have no time for these royal parasites

Being a royal is a tough job - just see what Harry had to say about it. He described it as being like stuck in a prison. And i'd have to agree with him. So they deserve credit for how they are willing to go through all that in order to raise money for charities.  

RIP Queen Elizabeth. 

35 minutes ago, Michael Davidson said:

None of them have done a days work in their lives . We pay them millions via our taxes so they can live in the lap of luxury . If you love em so much you can have them

When you think you're so edgy and cool:

index.jpg.e1471f8e69a19f9d71ac617c4c957a6a.jpg

When your name goes on a MI5 or GCHQ watch list for threatening the Royal Family online:

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11_02.15_AM.png.199aaecd2a83b7f80074e281570713e6.png