The Education Forum

The best all-around book on the assassination is ?

eases you in comfortably 

Edited by Sean Coleman

My first two books were the ones by Flip de Mey (these 2 are the ones you will find in bookstores in Belgium, English language books have to be ordered....).  Also have some political background in it, and the technical issues mostly concentrate on the shootings.  Easy reading 

Edited by Jean Ceulemans

Gaeton Fonzi’s - The Last Investigation

A very good insight into the corrupted JFK assassination investigations that were too afraid to spotlight in particular the FBI, CIA & its various contractors. Goes deep into the very complicated Cuban exiles anger at JFK. The book answers, for me, the credible bigger picture of what would have motivated the people Gaeton Fonzi suspected of being involved in the assassination of JFK.

My two favorites (cuz it's kind of a tie) are:

Accessories After the Fact - Sylvia Meagher

Whitewash - Harold Weisberg

There are books with lots of info and there are books with reliably accurate info, and they are rarely the same books. While I was initially drawn to the former, I would suggest the latter to those expressing an interest. It's been awhile since I read it, but Someone Would Have Talked might be a good beginning. 

There is none.

No one book can adequately sum up this whole case since it had just gotten too big, especially with the work of the ARRB.

The first edition of Crossfire is like a desk encyclopedia.  But that was published before the ARRB.

Meagher's book is a classic but fundamentally it is a demolition of the Warren Report.  Which almost no one takes seriously today anyway. 

7 hours ago, Robert Reeves said:

A very good insight into the corrupted JFK assassination investigations that were too afraid to spotlight in particular the FBI, CIA & its various contractors. Goes deep into the very complicated Cuban exiles anger at JFK. The book answers, for me, the credible bigger picture of what would have motivated the people Gaeton Fonzi suspected of being involved in the assassination of JFK.

I have long wondered why Fonzi's book was never turned into a movie, as it seems like a natural. Perhaps it was deemed too controversial. 

8 hours ago, Robert Reeves said:

I thought this book was very informative as well. I have not read enough different books in my opinion to say which one is best.

6 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

There is none.

No one book can adequately sum up this whole case since it had just gotten too big, especially with the work of the ARRB.

The first edition of Crossfire is like a desk encyclopedia.  But that was published before the ARRB.

Meagher's book is a classic but fundamentally it is a demolition of the Warren Report.  Which almost no one takes seriously today anyway. 

Good answer.

So, here's my question, Jim.

If you were organizing a college level course on the history of the JFK assassination, which essential books and/or documentary films would you use in the course?

This is a preposterous question.  Who does one not offend first?  Among the living.  In no particular order, flip a coin?  Destiny Betrayed vs SWWT?  Hard to draw a line there, different tact's.  Others, complimentarily, many of the offerings.  Historically or recent?  

In the last few years, the combination of Destiny Betrayed and Through The Looking Glass, in print and video is a historic accomplishment in presenting facts and reaching newer generations.  By the same token I was stunned to learn among other things in Tipping Point that Jack Ruby was in Vegas on the 18'th - 19th.

Tipping Point: The Conspiracy that Murdered President John Kennedy: Hancock, Larry: 9781736440902: Amazon.com: Books

JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass: DiEugenio, James, Stone, Oliver: 9781510772878: Amazon.com: Books

Maybe the most overlooked book recently is Dr. Joseph Mc Bride's Political Truth, The Media Assassination of President Kennedy.

Political Truth: The Media and the Assassination of President Kennedy: Joseph McBride: 9781939795618: Amazon.com: Books

From an all around younger perspective.

Amazon.com: America's Last President: What the World Lost When It Lost John F. Kennedy: 9798986556802: Wiesak, Monika: Books

13 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

There is none.

Yes, there is just too much to cover and learn.