The Education Forum

Jim Gochenauer has Passed

I just learned of this from Jeff Meeks and Phil Singer.

He was 77.

I am glad  that we got him in JFK Revisited.

He was so important to that story and the cover up in the Secret Service by Elmer Moore. We found each other by accident almost at a CAPA Conference. I did not know he was going to be there, but someone told me he was and he was looking for me.  So I talked to him and Oliver was at that conference and I told him we had to have him in the picture.

When he came in we were doing the last round of interviews.  I was talking to him, but what he was saying was so compelling that Oliver came out of his office and that was, I think, the only interview that we both conducted.

When Moore showed up for the Church Committee, he brought his lawyer since he knew about Jim G.

Edited by James DiEugenio

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who don't recall, Secret Service Agent Elmer Moore was ordered to pressure Dr. Perry and others at Parkland Hospital into testifying for the HSCA that the (front) neck wound was an exit wound, in order to support the magic bullet theory. Dr. Perry told this to a colleague, Dr. Donald Miller, in 1975.

(I think I got that right.)

Elmer Moore told graduate student Jim Gochenaur that he regretted pressuring Dr. Perry into changing his testimony.

Is this because Gochenaur confronted Moore on this issue?

(If anybody googles Gochenaur, be sure to use my spelling, as it seems to be the correct one.)

RIP Jim Gochenaur.

Gochenaur described that when he was speaking to Moore face-to-face, asking him about the alleged plot to assassinate Kennedy in Chicago earlier in 1963, it’s relation to Thomas Arthur Vallee, and the corresponding investigation by Secret Service agent Abraham Bolden. Bolden had in 1964 been accused of participating in bribery, something that he has always denied. Bolden would also claim that there was a general problem of Secret Service agents drinking on the job. According to Gochenaur, Moore grabbed a pistol, placed it on the table, and demanded that he say who he was working for, to which he replied that his interest was only private, and then Moore acknowledged his awareness of the alleged Chicago Plot, as well as his extreme dislike of Abraham Bolden, exclaiming something along the lines of “we finally got him” (Grassyknoll.us, The Jim Gochenaur Interviews, 2020; JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass, 2021 film; JFK: Destiny Betrayed, 2021 series; JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass, 2022 book by James DiEugenio). The detail about the pistol does not seem to be included in any other of Gochenaur’s earlier recorded statements (Archive.org, Weisberg Collection on the JFK Assassination, Gochenauer James; Harold Weisberg Archive, jfk.hood.edu/Collection/Weisberg Subject Index Files/G Disk/Gochenauer James; Church Committee report on 6/6/1975 interview with Gochenaur; HSCA 180-10086-10438, HSCA interview of Gochenaur, 5/10/1977 [text] [link 3]; CAPA, Nov. 2018 event, The Last Witnesses – Revealing The Truth). When Gochenaur was on Black Op Radio in 2021, he elaborated that Moore said “well, we got that goddamn lying(N-word), and when Moore was asked “You got him?”, he allegedly repliedNo, Kelley and the chief did(Black Op Radio, show #1071, 12/2/2021, 44:59).

No photo description available.

11/22/2019: Jim Gochenour, the gentleman who witnessed first-hand Secret Service agent Elmer Moore making disparaging remarks about JFK and admitted he badgered Dr. Perry into changing his testimony. He testified before both the Church Committee and the HSCA. I previously spoke to him on the phone before meeting him for the first time here! Here we are with author R. Andrew Kiel, as well (I am in his book).

Posted (edited)

Sandy,

Moore did not do his pressuring for the HSCA, it was for the Warren Commission.

According to JIm, it was Moore and Roger Warner who went to Parkland.

See, although the film of the Perry/Clark press conference somehow disappeared (Hmm) the Secret Service had the transcript.

So Moore was called in, I think he was in Seattle, and he was going to be their initial guy on the cover up, clearly endorsed by Rowley and Kelly.

Jim:

As I recall, Moore refused to cooperate with the HSCA when asked to testify, which is suspicious given he was one of three supervisors for the Secret Service's investigation into the assassination. I think its telling that when Jim Gochenaur interviewed Moore, he asked him if he ever interviewed Thomas Arthur Vallee ... Moore relied: "Oh, Washington wouldn't let me see the files on that." Then Gochenauer asked about Abraham Bolden; Moore's demeanor changed, he  pulled out his revolver, put it on the table and sternly stated: "We finally got him." Then there's the admission (albeit 3rd hand) by "Little Lynn" Carlin that Oswald knew Ruby and had been in the Carousel; she then told another SS agent, who apparently told Moore.

Its interesting that, after Elmer Moore presured the doctors (particularly Malcolm Perry), he became some sort of special assistant to Commission Chairman Earl Warren. According to Arlen Specter, Elmer Moore was also present when Warren, Gerald Ford, (and Moore) interviewed Jack Ruby in Dallas. Specterrevealed in a 2003 conference that Moore was the  Agent who showed him an undocumented photograph of Kennedy's back wound during the May 1964 re-enactment of the motorcade conducted by the Warren Commission.

Lot's of insightsinto the assassination from all of this ... thanks to Jim Gochenaur. 

Gene

Posted (edited)

Incredibly, after he did his dirty work with Perry and Parkland, Elmer Moore became like the aide de camp to Earl Warren!

Can you imagine that?

Mr Cover up artist then becomes the chief assistant to the guy who is supposed to be finding out who killed Kennedy.

Whenever you think the Warren Commission cannot get any worse, it does.

Let us not forget what Elmer Moore said to Jim about Kennedy being Moscow's man.

Micah:

I believe that Kelley was a superior to Moore. Officlally, Elmer Moore was temporarily assigned to Dallas from San Francisco office of the Secret Service from 11/30-12/13/63 (14 days) to investigate the assassination.  Thanks to Vince Palamara for Kelley's background information. 

Inspector Thomas J. Kelley was assigned to represent the Secret Service in the  investigation of the assassination. Kelley also served as Secret Service liaison to the Warren Commission.He received a B.A. from Providence College and an LL.B. from Georgetown University Law School.  His experience included special agent in charge (SAC) of the Philadelphia Field Office, Assistant Director of Protective Intelligence and  investigations in Washington, D.C., and the Assistant Director of Protective Operations . He was a member of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, and served as consultant to  Far Eastern police agencies, as well as consultant to the Dominican Republic.

Kelley participated in at least four interviews with Lee Oswald, which took place in the office of Captain Fritz of the Homicide Bureau of the DPD. Kelley was a member of the Inauguration Detail for JFK in 1961; he became Assistant Director of Investigations in 1965; and head of Protective Intelligence in 1968.  He retired in Feb. 1978; in September 1978,he testified before the HSCA (he was followed by Secret Service Chief James Rowley).  Kelley died in 1986.

Gene

It was great to meet Jim Gochenaur at CAPA in 2018.  He made major contributions in moving this case forward and exposing bad apples like Elmer Moore.

8 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Incredibly, after he did his dirty work with Perry and Parkland, Elmer Moore became like the aide de camp to Earl Warren!

Can you imagine that?

Mr Cover up artist then becomes the chief assistant to the guy who is supposed to finding out who killed Kennedy.

Whenever you think the Warren Commission cannot get any worse, it does.

Let us not forget what Elmer Moore said to Jim about Kennedy being Moscow's man.

What a nightmare scenario.

My sincere condolences.