The Education Forum

Cyril Wecht has passed on

Here is the notice:

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/obituaries/2024/05/13/cyril-wecht-jfk-allegheny-county-pittsburgh/stories/202403220106

He insisted on doing that last conference in Pittsburgh on the 6oth anniversary, and he and Ben did do it.

I thought something was up when I asked Ben about Cyril doing a spot on that Russian documentary. But Ben said he could not.

First Mark Lane and now Cyril.  Sheesh.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

He was a warrior for the truth.

Edited by Joe Bauer

You got that right Sandy.

What a bad day to wake up and learn of this.

I don't know if people appreciate the courage he showed. He was one of the premiere forensic pathologists of his age. When every other  pathologist-- including close friends and mentors-- fell in line, he risked his reputation to keep the case alive, often openly challenging them. This was rare even beyond forensic pathology--  almost every expert in every relevant field, especially at that level of prestige, avoided this case as taboo or reflexively supported the official version. A huge loss but a life well lived.

Very sad news. Incredible really how long he was able to continue educating and informing his audience.

He will be remembered as one of those legendary figures who’ve contributed so much for the fight for truth in this case. 

RIP

His performance in front of the HSCA was simply excellent.

He was so sensible and so sound.  And made very clear the bunk they were trying to sell.

Can someone post that?

I was at the Sixth Floor Museum several years ago and Cyril Wecht presented and in the Q&A he said that the thought Allen Dulles might have been involved in the JFK assassination. Very rare to have a so called "conspiracy theorist" given the floor for a presentation at the Sixth Floor Museum.

Afterwards I saw a Steve Fagin with another couple and Fagin was quite pleased at having Wecht present and looking like a cat that had just eaten a bird.

That was when I concluded that Steve Fagin of the Sixth Floor Musuem was a "closet conspiracy theorist."

Back to my friend Cyril - he hardly said anything new on the JFK assassination in 40 years and Cyril Wecht was not someone who I looked to tell me the most important things: who murdered JFK and why.

My God, most people know it was a conspiracy, it was covered up and JFK got shot in the head at least once from the front.

Having said that, I liked Cyril, he was a good fighter for the general truth.

This is a bit out of order which makes it hard to follow.

But if you want to see how bad the HSCA really was, watch it all the way through.

Even Stokes and Dodd sold him down the river.  But he fought on with the good fight.

41 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

This is a bit out of order which makes it hard to follow.

But if you want to see how bad the HSCA really was, watch it all the way through.

Even Stokes and Dodd sold him down the river.  But he fought on with the good fight.

Thanks for posting this, Jim. More to come.

5 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

You got that right Sandy.

What a bad day to wake up and learn of this.

It was a treat being from the same hometown. I ran into him a couple times and spoke to him on the phone. Brilliant and nice man. 

I don't know if it was in JFK Revisited or Destiny Betrayed but he explains the single bullet theory causing 7 wounds in two men and becoming known at the magic bullet and he starts chuckling to himself and smiling.  Then says yes it was truly magic, it would do anything you wanted it to, still chuckling.  To me it was like he was saying, you really want me to believe This?  I had to chuckle too.

I pulled Cause of Death off the shelf a couple of hours ago and re read F. Lee Baileys Forward and the Introduction.  He was truly respected by his peers, both medical and legal with degrees in both fields.  "He has performed more than twelve thousand autopsies and reviewed another twenty-five thousand.  He has served as president of both the Academy of Forensic Sciences and the American College of Legal Medicine."

"I often wonder how Specter came up with such a crazy notion as the 'single bullet theory,' Dr. Wecht says.  "Maybe he ate some bad baloney before he went to bed one night and dreamed the whole thing up."

I'd never heard of another book of his "The JFK Assassination Dissected" until I read this article today.  Might have to check it out.  Other interesting tidbits in the article as well.  I didn't know either that he came to believe Dulles was behind the assassination.

Infamous pathologist who argued more than one shooter killed JFK dies at 93 (msn.com)