The Education Forum

Racist Nixon-Reagan chat on tape

1 hour ago, Stephanie Goldberg said:

Thanks for the link.  I'd read headlines yesterday, but I had not yet read anything else about this story other than there was a tape.  

(And, of course, I am now wondering again how many tapes and transcripts and documents of previous administrations are still waiting to be seen and heard.)

Truman's racist remarks have been quoted in print.

Yes, this is the same guy who vetoed Congressional sanctions against South Africa's apartheid state in 1986, while Nelson Mandela was still locked up on Devil's Island.

Reagan and his Hoover Institute brain trust viewed Mandela and the ANC struggle against European colonialism through the Cold War prism -- opting to support white supremacists like Botha and right wing dictators like Savimba and Montt.

But do not forget how Reagan kicked off his 1980 campaign.

At the Neshoba County Fair, in Mississippi. Seven miles from the site where Cheney, Schwerner and Goodman's bodies were found. (https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/44535)

It was never any secret about Reagan.  The guy was an actor, he knew how to put up a front.

I had a friend who was the publicist for Jack Webb in the 1950s. This man was Jewish, and he said it was painful to have

to sit and listen every Saturday at brunch

at the Cock ’n’ Bull restaurant on the Sunset Strip to Webb and Ronald Reagan
trading anti-Semitic remarks while they were having a few drinks. He said
he felt he couldn’t object or he would
lose his job.

The only surprise about hearing Reagan making
a racist remark is that some people
are surprised, given his long record of bigoted words and actions.

Edited by Joseph McBride

I'm not proud to say that I was raised in the segregated South, where racism was just part of life. You didn't even think about it.

Of my few still living relatives, most are still racists. But that's not confined to my family. Till I retired in 2000 I worked in the Florida Dept of Corrections, where racism was rampant. I don't mean among inmates, I mean among staff.

I would like to think that it's all part of a dying generation. But it obviously isn't. Case in point? Donald Trump and his proverbial "base." That's what he counts on for his reelection with his racist tweet garbage. And it's probably going to happen. Don't ask me why except that racism works. His base down here, at least, couldn't be baser.

13 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

I had a friend who was the publicist for Jack Webb in the 1950s. This man was Jewish, and he said it was painful to have

to sit and listen every Saturday at brunch

at the Cock ’n’ Bull restaurant on the Sunset Strip to Webb and Ronald Reagan
trading anti-Semitic remarks while they were having a few drinks. He said
he felt he couldn’t object or he would
lose his job.

The only surprise about hearing Reagan making
a racist remark is that some people
are surprised, given his long record of bigoted words and actions.

Not to mention co-starring in a movie with a monkey. 

8 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

I'm not proud to say that I was raised in the segregated South, where racism was just part of life. You didn't even think about it.

Of my few still living relatives, most are still racists. But that's not confined to my family. Till I retired in 2000 I worked in the Florida Dept of Corrections, where racism was rampant. I don't mean among inmates, I mean among staff.

I would like to think that it's all part of a dying generation. But it obviously isn't. Case in point? Donald Trump and his proverbial "base." That's what he counts on for his reelection with his racist tweet garbage. And it's probably going to happen. Don't ask me why except that racism works. His base down here, at least, couldn't be baser.

I worked as a golf professional in SW Florida for many years, just got out of the business less than a year ago, and nothing has changed...at all. In the twelve years I was at this last golf club, there were a total of five non-white people I ever saw there as a guest(24,000 rounds per year , times 12 years, and only 5 total= 1 out of ever 57,600 golfers). Obviously no members. I blend in fairly well, I like to think, into most social scenarios, and the things I have heard from people of prominence is downright shocking. The relaxed and free way the remarks are made were what really got me...both racist and sexist. 

I may have been and still am in Florida, but 90% of these folks are from Chicago, Cleveland, Boston, Indianapolis, New York, and many other big cities, and are only there for short periods of time. It ain't just Florida, its everywhere and its an elitist thing every bit as much as it is the Florida cracker crawling around in the Everglades thing. 

I could understand in the corrections department where racism could start growing disproportionately because of the high percentage of non-white inmates. Doesn't make it any better, but there is some reason behind it that could at least make sense in the why and how department, but these are people that are completely separated and detached from ever having to deal with anyone that is non-white with the exception of bussers and food-runners you find at the clubhouse. There is absolutely no reasoning behind that hatred. 

I guess, the more things change the more they stay the same?   

8 hours ago, Jeffrey Reilley said:

I worked as a golf professional in SW Florida for many years, just got out of the business less than a year ago, and nothing has changed...at all. In the twelve years I was at this last golf club, there were a total of five non-white people I ever saw there as a guest(24,000 rounds per year , times 12 years, and only 5 total= 1 out of ever 57,600 golfers). Obviously no members. I blend in fairly well, I like to think, into most social scenarios, and the things I have heard from people of prominence is downright shocking. The relaxed and free way the remarks are made were what really got me...both racist and sexist. 

I may have been and still am in Florida, but 90% of these folks are from Chicago, Cleveland, Boston, Indianapolis, New York, and many other big cities, and are only there for short periods of time. It ain't just Florida, its everywhere and its an elitist thing every bit as much as it is the Florida cracker crawling around in the Everglades thing. 

I could understand in the corrections department where racism could start growing disproportionately because of the high percentage of non-white inmates. Doesn't make it any better, but there is some reason behind it that could at least make sense in the why and how department, but these are people that are completely separated and detached from ever having to deal with anyone that is non-white with the exception of bussers and food-runners you find at the clubhouse. There is absolutely no reasoning behind that hatred. 

The above post is very interesting.

Amazing this sentiment as you describe is still the way it is today as we speak.

This sentiment hasn't changed in 60 years.

Trump's brain trusts know this reality all too well.

They know that probably half of our entire society sees Trump's blatantly racist/anger rhetoric as clearly and honestly reflective of their true feelings. 

They agree with his race rhetoric.

Finally, a President who tells it like it is! ?

The controlling and benefiting forces behind Trump know that mass media reported charges of racism against him actually help him in his national support more than it hurts him.

Even though black Americans generally have seen incredible progress in so many areas of equal rights and opportunity in this country since the 1960's, this has come despite half the country not supporting this.

I think that the growing economic divide between the top 10% of our society versus the rest our society is however, the greater effecting stress and standard of living threat now.

And it crosses all ethnic, gender, age and racial lines.

When I see tens of millions of Americans struggling to keep up with always rising housing costs, health care and drug costs, transportation costs including car insurance cost, upkeep, repairs, gasoline, etc., food costs , utilities cost, student loan debt, and just about every other cost no matter what and even the 1 to 2 million homeless problem, I see a nation and society under the greatest common good stress in my lifetime.

Edited by Joe Bauer

59 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

The controlling and benefiting forces behind Trump know that mass media reported charges of racism against him actually help him in his national support more than it hurts him.

Suburban women recoil as Trump dives into racial politics

https://www.apnews.com/e1d98f7567f947d49f698e3ee0f234a3

Cliff I just read this article.

It mentions interviews of white women in the suburbs who voted for Trump in 2016 but who are now saying they aren't comfortable with Trump's recent super charged up racial rhetoric and some mention his general aggressive and insulting ( boorish) manner as well.

Yet along with this somewhat measured criticism they cite their pleasure with Trump's so called good economy achievements and his immigration policy.

I believe that these Trump voting suburb women in general will still vote for Trump again in 2020.

The issues of immigration and their doing well under Trump's upper income tax relief will trump their temporary uncomfortableness with his recent rough edged racial talk.

Trump's wag the dog spin machine will see what this article and more are reporting and if the trend continues, they'll initiate a damage control plan where Trump issues a few apologies and these Republican women will then be able to justify letting go of their temporary criticism and vote for him again.

Excuse my cynicism but I don't trust former Trump voters whose criticisms of him are really

quite light and are not the deeper felt outrage and anger ones that would sincerely inspire them to change their vote.

Chris Myers, a 52-year-old accountant and Trump supporter, ticked off such attributes as his negotiating grit, but also quickly acknowledged his behavior.

“He’s not the most pleasant person. He can be very blunt and boorish,” Myers said as she prepared to go grocery shopping. “But I think this country needs someone who is more business-oriented.”

Edited by Joe Bauer

20 hours ago, Jeffrey Reilley said:

Lifelong golfer here. Golf is an abomination by almost any standard. I belonged to a club in Virginia in the early aughts that barred Jews up until the mid-80s. Elitist, wasteful, bigoted, bad for the environment, etc. Yet, I continue to play. 

2 hours ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

Lifelong golfer here. Golf is an abomination by almost any standard. I belonged to a club in Virginia in the early aughts that barred Jews up until the mid-80s. Elitist, wasteful, bigoted, bad for the environment, etc. Yet, I continue to play. 

I still play but, lately, I need some lessons from a guy like Jeffrey Reilly.

My problem on the (public) courses here in Denver isn't ethnic bias-- it's whacking too many balls into the weeds.